Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bell FibeTV which appears to have quietly launched in parts of Toronto and has now published its pricing and packages.

1. Starter - Basic + timeshifting pack - $35
  2. Starter Plus - Basic + timeshifting pack + choice of 3 theme packs - $56
  3. Choice - Basic + timeshifting pack + choice of 7 theme packs - $70
  4. Premium - Basic + timeshifting pack + choice of 8 theme packs + 1 Premium Movie Pack - $95
  5. Elite - Basic + timeshifting pack + choice of 15 theme packs + 1 Premium Movie Pack - $110

Package prices include $3 per month digital service fee. Existing Bell customers with phone or internet service are eligible to receive a $5 bundle discount.

Adds
  • Individual Channels where available - $3.50 to $4 per month
  • Movie Network Package - $25 per month, $20 per month if you have seven or more theme packs
  • Super Channel Movie Package - $20 per month, $15 per month if you have seven or more theme packs
  • Super Ecran - $18 per month, $13 per month if you have seven or more theme packs
  • International News - $3.50 per month
  • International News 2 - $3.50 per month
  • Playboy - $16 per month (must buy premium movie pack)
  • AOV Combo - $35 per month

Hardware
  • HD Receiver - $199 or $5 per month to rent
  • HD PVR - $499 - or $20 per month to rent

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Basic

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Time Shifting

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Theme Pack

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Add Ons

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Premium Movies

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Receivers

·
Registered
49 Posts
Are you sure the theme packs for the packages are choices as they already seem pre-selected on the web site and only the movie packs say that they can be chosen beside them.

·
Super Moderator
17,675 Posts
@llamasmurf, the PDF says choice of theme packs. As for the themes listed:
When your free Bell Fibe TV preview expires, you'll automatically be defaulted to a pack featuring our most popular channels. Feel free to call back at any point following your free preview to customize or enhance any of your selections.

·
Registered
528 Posts
After looking at the pricing I am feeling underwhelmed. Perhaps because the pilot pricing was so good I was expecting more?!?

Even with the $62 package I would be giving up channels I currently have with Rogers Digital VIP which is priced nearly the same. But the big kicker is the hardware investment . . . I currently receive a free lifetime rental PVR and I purchased another one so unless Bell was willing to do a swap it would be very difficult for me to move.

But don't get me wrong the service looks awesome and I am still really interested in it. Maybe they will be willing to negotiate a little on the hardware?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I called and they said they cant tell me if its available in my area I have to call 310-BELL. So I did, and got on the line with a Bell TV rep and they looked it up and said I am not eligable because I am an existing Bell Home Phone and Internet subscriber? WTF is that bull.

They couldnt give me any more information and said they have to contact someone else and say that I am interested and they will phone me back, I asked when and they said they have no idea.

Did anyone else with home phone or internet subscribe here?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Any idea how the prices are affected if you ditch Bell Home Phone from the bundle?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just got a flyer with different pricing listed for Toronto:

Starter - Basic + timeshifting pack - $27
Starter Plus - Basic + timeshifting pack + choice of 3 theme packs - $48
Choice - Basic + timeshifting pack + choice of 7 theme packs - $62
Premium - Basic + timeshifting pack + choice of 8 theme packs + 1 Premium Movie Pack - $87
Elite - Basic + timeshifting pack + choice of 15 theme packs + 1 Premium Movie Pack - $102

Has anyone done a comparison to show how the channel line ups compare to the Rogers packages?

I just got a letter from Rogers saying that they gave me an incorrect Better choice bundles discount and they will be reducing it so needless to say I'm quite annoyed by this. The bell flyer couldn't have come at a better time for me.

Would the Fibe tv require me to also change my existing phone and internet service that i currently have with Rogers or can it be installed as a stand alone system?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maasai, Those prices are the same. Note from post #1

Package prices include $3 per month digital service fee. Existing Bell customers with phone or internet service are eligible to receive a $5 bundle discount.
The $27 is false advertising since its impossible to get a $27 a month package.

·
Super Moderator
17,675 Posts
Maasai, I believe that you must take the internet service to get Fibe TV. You don't have to have Bell phone. The internet service is Fibe6, but you can download up to 25 Mbps when no TVs are on. This is based on posts by other members in this forum.

The more services you have with Bell, the cheaper the installation cost and the longer the contract you can get the free PVR rental.

No one else can compare the TV lineups for you, since Rogers and Bell package their channels differently. The only way to do it is to pick the channels you watch regularly and see which Bell theme packs have them. If you have Rogers VIP for example, you probably get a lot of channels you aren't really interested in, so there's no point in paying for them.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
How do the various setup boxes "talk" to each other in your home? In the old VDSL product, they used your internal coax cabling, which meant cancelling cable. Is the Fibe service different? I want to try both side by side before making the switch.

Also, since I speak french, the quebec packages are more appealing to me. Are they available in Ontario? Why is the pricing structure so different?

When I had ExpressVu, a while back, I used to get a French package and just added the english networks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
WSYWIG.... I run CAT-6 from the modem to the set top box. (There is another thread on wiring and this seems to be the preferred method.) I ran Rogers in parallel to my BES service for about 2 months. On my setup, it seemed to me that the HD channels were clearer and brighter on BES vs. Rogers. Anyway, yes it is possible to run both at the same time.

There are 'mixed' packages available as well with both French/ English. I don't think they are posted in this forum but can be found on the FibeTV site.

·
Super Moderator
17,675 Posts
wysiwyg, the Quebec A La Carte pricing was recently introduced on Bell satellite to compete with Videotron and is only available in Quebec. It seems Fibe TV is using the same approach.

You can order the Ontario package you choose and pick either French or English themes. You don't have to take the suggested themes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts