Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 FibeTV Motorola TV receivers connected with coax to the Bell Sagemcom router in my home. The Sagemcom router is in the basement and the Wifi coverage is not adequate to cover our home. I noticed that if I plug the Playstation ethernet cable directly into the back of the RJ45 port on the Motorola the Playstation gets a great internet connection. To expand on this I would like to connect wifi routers to the RJ45 ports on the back of two of the Motorola boxes to get complete wifi coverage in our home.

When I do this it works briefly (up to an hour) but then many of the devices are no longer able to access the internet. I have turned off the DHCP on these additional routers and reserved an IP address for them in the Sagemcom router but this hasn't helped.

Is this type of setup possible? If so, what am I doing wrong?
Please keep in mind that I am a novice with networking tech.

Thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
By connecting something to the back of the receivers you are adding devices to the same collision domain as you are in a bridge not switched mode. I would not recommend doing this at all. I heard that if you use the Ethernet port on the wireless receivers all the wireless receivers stopped working. I just have another wireless router acting as a access point (linksys) hooked up to the modem and a buffalo wireless repeater they work great together

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
If your wireless router has the ability to filter multicast traffic, try turning that filter on. It might help solve your problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts