Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

461 - 480 of 722 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
freezing, pixilation, no sound

I have Bell Fibe for 3 months now and am having problems with freezing, pixilation, no sound. It happens about 10 seconds after I change channels and last about 2 seconds then all is good until I change channels again.

Fibe is new in our area and it is ftth.

Bell has sent 7 techs and have replaced everything installed inside the house including the wiring and I still have the same problem.

Any ideas what could cause this?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Its coax from the modem to the stb
It is either a) the PVR - perhaps a bad harddrive 2) the connection to your home -how is your internet service? 3) some kind of networking issue in your home.

If you can, try hooking one of the STB (preferably the PVR) with an Ethernet cable directly to the modem and hook up a TV closeby. If the problem goes away, I would suspect some problem with the COAX in your house.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Larry,

It was originally an Ethernet cable and was replaced with a 6 foot coax, then replaced by an Ethernet cable only to be replaced to a new 2 foot coax. the tv is 4 feet from the stb and the two other units are wireless and they have the same problems as the pvr.

The PVR was replaced but had the same issues.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Sounds like the problem must be on the Bell side - perhaps in the DSLAM. Ask to be moved to a new port or new cable pair. Anyone else on your street seeing the same problem?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm pretty sure they already did that at least once, they also changed the pigtail. Bell upper level techs(WHOC I think) refuse to action the problem and keep sending techs back saying the issue is local. Today was tech 7 & 8 and tomorrow is tech #9.

·
Registered
650 Posts
My system has always done this, it's normal.

When you first change a channel, it pre-loads a burst, after this burst, it joins the regular stream.

It's not a problem with the equipment, and some channels seem to do it a little more than others. I've got 8 clients on Fibe, they all do this.

On tuning a channel, if you see this behavior 8-10 seconds after turning, that's exactly what's going on.

I've moved, and been through 2 different pvrs all the time the same thing.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I don't see this behaviour. I can change channels and never see a blip at all. However, when a recording starts, there is a 3-4 second period when there is some pixellation and lack of sound - but never when changing channels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine doesn't always do it, but I for sure see it often.
It is normal.
All the techs that have seen the problem say that it is not normal, but I have not found anyone that can solve the problem.

Tech # 9 who was a no-show(again) on saturday is supposed to drop in sometime this evening according to Bell.

I really wished I knew somebody who can tell me how to talk to someone at Bell that is higher on the corporate ladder than simple customer service or retentions as this has gone on for too long without a resolution to the problem.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well as I mentioned, there's 9 setups that I know of that are doing exactly what you're saying.

By design, when you change a channel, in order for the "instant" channel change to happen, there's a pre-loaded segment that is sent immediately to your box, 8-10 seconds later, the boxes join the running stream. The pixelization you're seeing is when it's joining the stream. Something isn't quite in alignment when that's happening.

As I've already mentioned, this isn't something that's likely to be corrected, and it only happens for a split second, sometimes as long as 2.
I have found that having other devices on the segment with TV that don't play well with multicast to exacerbate this problem more.
Do you have any other network devices on your lan you can unplug and see if it gets better?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sorry guys i had to put in my 2 cents, im sorry to say but this is not normal, I have had Bell Fibe TV for over 2 years now, almost 3 years, and I never had this happen on my TV's no matter how many tv's or cell phones are sharing the network, this has never happened on my end, so I am sure there is a problem at this person's place, Im sure there is some sort of an issue there, and Bell should be working to correct this issue for him, When I change channels it is really smooth, no lagging, no pixelation, no freezing, it is totally instant and smooth, so he should be persisting with this, it is definitely not normal...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have to agree with upsdriver. I've had Fibe as well, for over 3 years and in 2 homes. Never have I experienced this problem.

My internet would drop when I turned on the TV at the old place, but the pixelation/lagging/freezing was not an issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well as I mentioned, there's 9 setups that I know of that are doing exactly what you're saying.

By design, when you change a channel, in order for the "instant" channel change to happen, there's a pre-loaded segment that is sent immediately to your box, 8-10 seconds later, the boxes join the running stream. The pixelization you're seeing is when it's joining the stream. Something isn't quite in alignment when that's happening.

As I've already mentioned, this isn't something that's likely to be corrected, and it only happens for a split second, sometimes as long as 2.
I have found that having other devices on the segment with TV that don't play well with multicast to exacerbate this problem more.
Do you have any other network devices on your lan you can unplug and see if it gets better?
The techs had me unplug everything in the house that uses the modem wired or not. Also tried no lights, nothing electric on in the house except for the TV and Bell equipement. Also tried everything on like lights, Washer Dryer, stove, microwave, etc.

The only thing I could not turn off or unplug was the new Hydro Quebec next generation meter. The fibre optic cable runs right along the meter, but from what Bell tells me, this could not cause the problem.

The problem I was told yesterday again by Bell Tech # 9 (tech # 4 and 7 said the same thing) is that the problem is with the server and nothing in the house.

I think its time for Bell to step up and solve the problem, because my patience has about run out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, 2 seconds of pixelation when you change channels. Once it's done, there's no further issues?
Exactly, between 10 to 15 seconds after changing channels the TV pixilates, freezes, loss of sound or a combination of the three and it will last from 1 to 3 seconds then everything is normal until I change channels again. It does this 90 to 99% of the time when I change channels. The problem occurs on all TV's.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The issue you are having is exactly this;

When you change a channel, in order to instantly change the channel, your boxes are sent a preloaded burst of data for the channel, this data is enough that the box can then join the multicast stream. During that hand-off, something is slightly out of sync, or isn't aligning correctly, thus you see the pixelization.

Can you do me a favor and post a tracert to Google.ca?

I don't know that anything can be done to address this fully, but the trace may show something in the first hop or 2.

461 - 480 of 722 Posts