Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 727 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have the same problem with my audio stuttering. Its a pain in the a$$.

I notice it more and my wife (who also doesnt see a difference in HD and SD) also notices it - so its pretty bad.

Also - i have my tv hooked up to my Yamaha and i have it on Surround Decode - so when im on an HD channel the sound studders and i can see the sound change to Prologic.

I dont get the sound studdering on SD channels.

Anyways - was on the phone with Bell today for about 30 minutes and they were going to monitor my feed.

Also - on TMN onDemand - HD movies are horrible - I cant watch at all. It freezes and then Im not able to hear anything. I have to pause the movie and replay it to get the sound back.

SO LAME......

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Well I spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone with Bell aain this evening. Second line support had me disconnect all phones from their jacks and watch for pixelization and audio drop outs. It seems the one land line I had connected was causing some trouble. I have left it disconnected and the audio dropouts have drastically reduced however the pixelization still happens but not as frequently or severely.

Bell has left my ticket open and I will call back tomorrow to tell them I still have pixelization/freezing problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This definitely seems like a back end(CO) issue. Bell is having everyone reset everything to no avail. It does not appear that its something that can be fixed on the client side.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Regardingt the audio dropouts - I was about to ask with my earlier post - for those that do have the audio dropping out - are you using a receiver? What audio are you pushing out from the IPTV box - Surround or Stereo?

I tried a recommendation from someone to use Optical for the audio path with HDMI for video, and even use Optical / Component instead of HDMI, but that didn't help at all either.

·
Registered
264 Posts
@secotton - I took my receiver out of the picture by connecting the PVR directly into my plasma and the using the optical out on the PVR into my receiver. No luck - the screen still froze and pixellated. We'll see how it goes today.. and tomorrow the tech will show up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
@Almadacr I've notice the same thing on RDS-HD.... sound is out of sync for 1 sec or so.... The SD channel seems to be ok... I feel it's more on RDS side, the problem... sometime it was ok but most of it, it's not.... :( For watching hockey it's not too bad... since we dont see people talking LOL....

I've noticed more and more glitched in the sound and image... on my recording... but nothing like you all talking about... for me it's moslty 1 sec or so....

·
Registered
205 Posts
Originally Posted by pshine: I took my receiver out of the picture by connecting the PVR directly into my plasma and the using the optical out on the PVR into my receiver
Try going straight HDMI to your TV, and use the TV's audio - see if it still happens. I think the issue is when there is a receiver in the mix that you get the audio dropouts. I do notice when listening to the audio channels - i get no dropouts of audio.

I haven't noticed bad pixelation happening. Sometimes it can be at the source though too.

I'm hoping maybe a software update might fix these issues - apparently Microsofot's Media Room 2.0 is available and some providers are starting to move to it. I would hope Bell will move towards it soon.

I think we should document how we are setup too when there are issues. I heard that using COAX can cause lots of issues, especially if it's poor COAX runs. Also - using a second wireless router can cause issues.

For me:
- Ethernet cable (6ft) to hookup IPTV receiver to modem
- HDMI from IPTV receiver to A/V Receiver (Denon)
- HDMI from Denon to TV
- HDMI used for Video / Audio path

·
Registered
6 Posts
My PVR goes straight to my TV. Optical out to my receiver for audio. So I can say with certainty that the receiver is not the cause of the pixelization and image issues. This is definately something on Bell's side. No one was having these issues until 4-5 days ago.

·
Registered
264 Posts
@secotton - PVR goes straight to the Pioneer plasma using HDMI - it's a display only - no speakers. Optical audio goes to the receiver for the test.
Since this is a picture and audio issue, it now rules out my receiver.

I'll go back to using HDMI for both audio & picture since the above test did not help.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
My setup is pretty straight forward:

On the main floor I've got coax from the modem to the pvr and the pvr direct to the tv using HDMI for video and audio. There is no other equipment hooked up.

Upstairs I have 2 receivers both using component cables for video and audio out R & L for audio. No other equipment attached.

I too think this is a Bell issue as we all appear to be experiencing the same problems. How do we let Bell know so they will check the incoming feed from the C.O. instead of all of us waiting for service calls which probably won't help?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sorry Barb G... we are now part of the process. We have to wait and see what the techs do/say when they show up at our homes. I'll update this thread tomorrow with my trials and tribulations after the tech has decided what the next course of action (or inaction) will be!

·
Registered
166 Posts
- Bell supplied Ethernet cable from Cellpipe => IPTV STB
- HDMI from IPTV STB => TV (LG)
- TOSLINK: IPTV STB => A/V Receiver (Yamaha)

I do experience the occasional audio dropout, but they are very short. Probably less than 1 sec. They're also few and far between. As for pixelation, I noticed it a few times but it's extremely rare.

·
Registered
107 Posts
@ Mtlscream Yesterday at the Al`s game during the flash interviews was funny to see them all out of sync in all the 3 receivers and was also in SD

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just like @joepro
Here's my setup....

- Bell supplied Ethernet cable from Cellpipe / Router / Modem => IPTV VIP1232
- HDMI from IPTV VIP1232 => A/V receiver (Sony)
- HDMI from A/V Receiver => HDTV (Panasonic Plasma)

Like i said before... except on RDS-HD (who seems to be out of sync for 1 sec)... the rest seems pretty good. Like Joepro, i do notice occasinal audio dropout too (less than 1 sec once in a while). Notice them more on recordings... than live tv...

·
Super Moderator
17,519 Posts
I'd like to follow up on the summary popup screen that some people have reported. From Barb's description in post 6, this sounds like the same screen that is displayed when you press the INFO button on the remote. Can someone that is having the problem confirm this?

I'm also the moderator for the MTS and Telus TV forums (which also use Mediaroom) and haven't heard of this problem before.

The two things that I can think of are an external signal that the STB interprets as someone pressing the INFO button, or some sort of break in the signal coming over the line that causes the STB to display the INFO screen.

Here are a few more questions that may help isolate the problem.
  • Have you had the problem since you got Fibe TV or has it just started recently?
  • Do any other menus ever pop up when you're not using the remote control?
  • Does the problem seem worse when you're having signal problems?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Dr. Dave, the summary menus are the same as the info menus. I had this happen right from the day after installation on Aug.3/10. I can be standing in another room no where near the remote and a menu will pop up. There are only 3 different menus that I've seen:

1) when watching an episode of a series recording is the same as if I pressed 'info' during the recording

2) when watching live tv is the same as pressing 'info' during live tv

3) when watching a one time recording ie not a weekly series, is the same as pressing 'info'

However since I removed the CF bulb next to the TV the popup only happened once within a minute of taking out the bulb. I'm now probably jinxing everything by saying I haven't had a pop up since 5:20 pm on Sunday. Prior to that it was happening multiple times each day.

It's now 6:45 pm and as feared the popup menu just appeared! So I guess the CF bulb wasn't the problem. I will try covering the front sensor on the pvr.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dr. Dave, in my case it's:

1. It has happened since Fibe TV was installed on Aug. 7, 2010.
2. It's the same menu every time.
3. I'm not having the signal problems others are discussing. Maybe because I'm not in the Beach, but rather Etobicoke.

My PVR was replaced yesterday, and I haven't had the menu pop up yet, but that could be because I only watched 1 recorded show. I'll keep an eye on it.

However, maybe it's a warning that the PVR is about to go belly up. 1 of the guys at support thought there was an internal power problem with my PVR and that it was the cause of it's untimely demise. You theorized that a break in the signal could be causing the menu. Maybe we're onto something...

·
Registered
205 Posts
My thought is that it could be when the PVR's Hard Drive goes from one platter to another, or there is a hard disk delay, the PVR thinks it's the end of the recording. I know the same menu pops up when actually at the end of a recording, so it could be that it's a bug that we're seeing.

I don't experience it all the time, but it has happened about 5 times out of about every 25 recordings.

The audio dropouts are the most annoying part that I'd like to see resolved - I can live with the other few inconsistencies it has.

21 - 40 of 727 Posts