Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Setup:
  • Bell Hub 3000 :
  • VAP connected to the Hub 3000 with a Cat 4e fibreoptic cable (70' between the Modem and the Main Tv).
  • the VAP provides signals to the 4K PVR (Main TV) and
  • 2 HD 2502 wi-fi receivers for an upstairs and downstairs TV.

The Internet and the Live TV are working fine with 61.4mbps download and 10.9 mbps upload. (Aside: the picture quality between Rogers and Bell is a function of the TV you have. The 4K TV picture is impressive).

My problem is with the TV downstairs. Some recorded programs pause intermittently on playback. Others don't. The same programs playback without pausing on the upstairs TV and the main TV. Later in the same day the same recorded program will playback without pausing on the downstairs TV !! We have been monitoring this behaviour for over 6 months now and we finally replaced the HD 2502 for the downstairs TV. The recorded programs are still pausing but it doesn't happen as often and it doesn't last as long. I also changed the HDMI cable between the HD 2502 receiver and the TV and it made no difference.

I should add that from time to time we get the "Signal Lost" message on a blue screen, but I don't think it is related. This happens with the TVs on the receivers, not the main TV on the 4k PVR that is hardwired to the modem.

It seems that the signal from the VAP hasn't created any pausing problems for recorded programs on the upstairs TV (so far).
Could the TV remote's Play-Pause-FF-REV buttons be causing this? Could it be the downstairs TV?

How do I better diagnose this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No help here but the same thing is happening on both the PVR and VIP2502 receivers ay my house. I'll record a 2 hour movie (for example). I pause the movie and the timeline shows x number of minutes left out of 2 hours, therefore the whole movie is there, or at least 2 hours were recorded. On several occasions I've had the movie just stop playing and I'm taken to the menu where I can Replay, Erase...and so on. The movies just stops!! If I replay it, it plays back to the point where it stopped. What the heck gives?? Is that similar to your problem, User14?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't think it is the same problem I have although I did encounter one (1) instance when the recording stopped and I was taken to the Replay, Erase, Watch Live TV menu.

The 4K PVR I have seems to work well for recordings and playback on the main 4K TV AND the two other TV's upstairs and downstairs. As I said I did replace one HD 2502 receiver and the pausing seems to have resolved itself. But I still loose the signal from time to time, mostly on the upstairs TV and hardly ever on the main floor 4K TV where the VAP is located. I may have to replace the HD 2502 receiver for the upstairs TV.

In my set up, from a copper line drop in the basement, there is a DSL line that goes to a jack in a far office room when I have my PC. The DSL (telephone line) that then goes to the Bell Home Hub 3000. From the Bell Home Hub 3000 I have a Cat 4e fiber cable that goes back to the other end of the house where the Video Access Point (VAP) is located. The VAP2500 is supposed to transmit multiple standard- and high-definition video streams throughout your home wirelessly. Since the three (3) TV's I have are at that the far end of the house away from the Home Hub 3000 I just couldn't get a good video signal to the TV PVR and receivers.

If you have issues with your computer internet, it may be a modem (Bell Home Hub 3000) problem, but if it is only the video recordings, it may be the main 4K PVR. Try explaining the issue to Bell and have them send you a replacement PVR and see if that fixes the issue. I was able to return the HD 2502 receiver through Staples at no charge. Just take a photo of the shipping label at Staples to ensure you have proof you sent back the old one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the update, User14. My internet is very fast and steady but that’s because I use a CAT5 cable from my modem to the card on my PC. If I rely on Wi-Fi, the internet connection is about 1/3 the advertised speed. With the CAT5 connection, it is always very fast - pretty much as advertised.

My PVR generally behaves okay but the VIP 2505 remote receiver has been a disaster since day one. It's extremely slow and handles Netflix much differently than the PVR. In general, any Bell device in my house that relies on a Wi-Fi signal, is subpar. I’ve tried signal boosters of various kinds and I refuse to pay $4 per month for the Bell ones. I doubt they’d be much better. It seems that the only way to get any performance out of the TV side of Bell services is to power down the modem, PVR, and VIP 2505 remote receiver at least once per day. That shouldn’t be necessary. Bell internet is stellar but the rest of their technology is in the dark ages. My contract promo is up for renewal in May. I'll be looking elsewhere for services.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My internet is good as well. Hardwired with CAT5e from Modem to PC as well and no issues there.

Coincidentally, I did record 60 Minutes yesterday (Sun 10 Jan 2021) and when I played it back today, it "Stopped" as you described. It came back a few minutes later without touching anything and when I restarted the recording, it started at the beginning of the program. I fast forwarded to where it stopped and I finished watching the program without any other issues.
It said there were "Network problems" so this may be another issue to consider telling Bell. I did have another program that started recording at 11:00 am but as you can see the program stopped 17 minutes after the other recording started. If others are having similar issues, this may be a Bell system wide network issue and not the specific equipment.
FYI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts