Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

121 - 140 of 159 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,563 Posts
Chromecast probably won't work. If you already have one, you could try mirroring the Chrome browser screen, but it's a long shot.

Here's the rationale. The supplementary "on the go" licences that Bell negotiates with the 450 channels that are willing, are restricted to mobile devices and don't allow external screens. In this case, a computer is considered a mobile device, and there is a loophole that allows you to connect an external screen. This is true of most (all?) services that allow computer browser access using mobile licences.

·
Super Moderator
16,563 Posts
Bell has posted a support page for
How to download a recording in the Fibe TV app

Additional info: https://support.bell.ca/fibe_tv/channels/what-is-the-fibetv-app-and-how-do-i-use-it?step=11#step11
If Bell changes the order, open the topic "Recordings and Downloads."

Using the app to download recordings
You can download PVR recordings with the Fibe TV app on your smartphone and tablet when you have access to Wi-Fi or a mobile network (must first be enabled). You can then watch the recordings offline wherever you are, even if you’re out of the country.

Download and Go is only available for Fibe TV customers who have a PVR.

This feature can be used with iOS (iOS 10 or higher) or Android (OS 4.2 and higher) smartphones and tablets.

Things to note:
  • A recording can only be downloaded on one device at a time.
  • Once you download a recording, you can only watch it on the device where it was downloaded or with your Bell TV receiver.
  • If you delete a downloaded copy from a device, it will still be available to watch or download again.
  • If you delete a recording from the PVR however, the downloaded copy will no longer be available.
  • After 45 days, you can no longer download a recording.
  • Download to an external SD card is supported for Android.
  • You do not have to be paired to a PVR to download a recording.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
It does not support mirroring. The app is available only on Apple TV4 and on Amazon Fire TV.
As for Chromecast most likely it is not possible either.

·
Super Moderator
16,563 Posts
From the above link - see "Installing the app."
Note: the Fibe TV app cannot be operated on a device that has been tampered with (i.e., rooting or jailbreaking). The app does not support screen mirroring and screen casting from smartphones and tablets.
Generally speaking the Fibe TV app uses a mobile licence which is a supplement to the broadcasting licence. The content owners restrict the mobile licence to the mobile screen and don't allow external screens, with the exception of PCs as described previously.

I'm not sure of the licencing of the downloaded content, but I doubt the app has the logic to allow mirroring for that one situation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was talking with a 'bureau en gros - stable' representative about amazon fire stick's ability to view bell fibe tv outside the home wifi network and he told me that he was able to do so. His home network is bell and he was in a telus network outside his home and he was able to view live tv without a problem. Question mark. Any comments.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is why I will do some tests during the week-end. I will go visit a friend with videotron network and I will bring my amazon firestick with me to do the tests myself. The bureau en gros - stable representative told me that to be able to view over non-bell network you need to login using the option 'best' and not the 'easy' one on the welcome panel. Anyway I will keep you inform of the results.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
You should not be able to access Bell Fibe tv on another network as it is against CRTC rulling unless there is a glitch in the system.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
The rulling is against accessing any IPTV service with another internet provider. Vmedia lost the case in court and had to pay fine for trying to do that.

·
Super Moderator
16,563 Posts
@bev fan VMedia lost that case because they weren't providing the "cable TV" service using their own infrastructure. Bell Fibe is using their own infrastructure. There is nothing in the rules that say you can't access the content that you subscribe to while you're away from home. Typically, you have to use an ISP in Canada to comply with the content licences and copyright rules, but the CRTC doesn't regulate that.

As discussed previously, the Bell Fibe TV app also gives you the ability to "placeshift" your recordings around the world as long they are licensed to record the program on your behalf in the first place.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
@Dr.Dave
Obviously you can access content when you are away from home but only on mobile devices and computer counts as a mobile device. Amazon Fire stick that we are talking about here is not a mobile device therefore Bell Fibe app can not be accessed on another network when away from home. It is required not only by CRTC but also by content producers and channel providers.
Some channels like AMC can not even be accessed on mobile devices.

Also I have never stated that Bell Fibe is illegal the way you put in your previous post.

·
Super Moderator
16,563 Posts
@bev fan What you are saying is correct as far as the licence agreements go, but that has nothing to do with the CRTC. Presumably, the licence agreements say that the big-screen TV experience is limited to your home (Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, etc.) If the CRTC was involved, you would be able to watch with those devices at someone else's home if they had Bell internet.

The rules for what you can watch and where are totally controlled by the licence agreements and vary from channel to channel. Bell has the full list for all 500 channels on their web site.

It's possible that the Amazon Fire TV stick qualifies as a mobile device if it receives low-quality video. The same thing may even apply for other devices such as Apple TV. Or it could just be a bug.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Neither one qualifies as mobile device nor can they be used at another address with Bell internet. If that was possible everybody would have been sharing Bell Fibe tv service.

Not sure how license agreements work. Why is it that in the states providers of IPTV services are not required to have it assosiated with any particular ISP.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
It depends on the content. Live TV accessed through a BDU subscription must be on the same ISP as the BDU. Some content is restricted by location, connection, device or any combination of these. If someone is viewing on demand OTT content, it's only restricted by the account. Some of it may even be free to all like the new ad supported CTV streaming services. Does it matter that it's being accessed through the Crave app and not a browser? Probably not. What matters is how the content is licensed.

·
Super Moderator
16,563 Posts
@bev fan when I said "It's possible that the Amazon Fire TV stick qualifies as a mobile device if it receives low-quality video" I was think of the licence agreement with the channel. I know that they don't qualify as mobile devices in the terms spelled out to the end user.

If that was possible everybody would have been sharing Bell Fibe tv service.
They could do that now with a smartphones or computer. That's why there's a limit on mobile devices.

Not sure how license agreements work. Why is it that in the states providers of IPTV services are not required to have it assosiated with any particular ISP.
Those are "Over the top" services. (OTT) They negotiate and pay a licence fee to each local affiliate for the broadcast networks in each city. VMedia was trying to retransmit the Canadian OTA networks for free as a cable network, but it wasn't following the rules for cable networks.

@ExDilbert a large number of the 500 channels on the Bell Fibe TV app are licensed for live viewing "on the go" anywhere in Canada.

121 - 140 of 159 Posts