Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Question about watching recorded shows in US

My parents are in the US and my mother has been connecting to the hotel wifi and watching her recorded shows. She received an email from Bell stating she was at 90% usage. I’m fairly certain I know the answer, but could someone confirm that watching recorded shows on the app, when not connected to your Bell wifi network, does not count towards your usage? Thanks!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Using data connection to view video via Fibe TV app will definitely count against your data usage!!

Also fwiw I was recently in Belize and the Fibe App worked great watching my daily recordings of the news, and several other shows. We had a really good WiFi signal in our cabin, so I never had to use data. Nor would I local or travelling, you can use up 3gb pretty quick watching video!

I was not able to watch anything live (something about being out of the country), but watching anything I recorded was great. I was also able to manage my recordings while away which was also pretty handy.

So, tell your mom to make sure her data is OFF and using WiFi only while she at that hotel!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fibe on Amazon Fire TV Stick?

Has anyone tried watching Fibe TV using the Amazon Fire TV stick?

Is the quality the same/worse/better than watching on the Apple TV 4k?

Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi, Monica4. Last year it had been working on my Android box and then it stopped with the "mirroring not supported message." The last update stated that the app would now work on all Android devices, but I'm still getting the "mirroring" message.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, Monica4. Last year it had been working on my Android box and then it stopped with the "mirroring not supported message." The last update stated that the app would now work on all Android devices, but I'm still getting the "mirroring" message.
It look like it only available on some official Android TVs/boxes:

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Your box may work if you set connection on the Android box to wifi only.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks, I didn't see this. Typical Bell saying 'all' Android devices. Oh well.

Edit: My mistake it does say 'select' android boxes. Funny thing, on the app page it also says: "This app is compatible with all of your devices."

·
Registered
27 Posts
I thought the the App was getting recorded shows through my home network from the Bell Tv box.

Several weeks ago our power was off for several hours and several shows weren’t recorded on the Bell box. When I looked at the App on my iPad it indicated that it had been recorded and I was able to watch it on the iPad as well as using the App on Apple TV device. This would indicate that the recorded source is actually at Bell’s data centre.

My question is if this is where it is recorded then why don’t they provide the function to record shows for their ALT Tv service?

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
Making recordings on a cloud server is not a new idea. It's a feature that some IPTV services have had for some time. The whole idea is that you don't know where it was recorded, it's in the "cloud."

... why don’t they provide the function to record shows for their ALT Tv service?
That might encourage people to cancel Fibe TV and subscribe to Alt TV. That's probably not what Bell wants. Alt TV was created to compete with other IPTV services and, most likely, hurt their businesses. Bell doesn't want people to subscribe to Alt TV, they want people to subscribe to Fibe TV. Therefore, Fibe TV gets all the new features. Alt TV only gets enough features to compete with other IPTV services. It looks like most, if not all, of Alt TV's features are already implemented in Fibe TV. That makes providing Alt TV a relatively low cost endeavor and, on a feature basis, a relatively bad deal compared to Fibe TV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know whether media first and their app will slow us to download a recorded show to our device and watch it later on without the need of an internet connection? For example, watching the show on a plane.

·
Registered
267 Posts
See with Bell Aliant all of our internet plans are unlimited so when connected to the Bell Wifi Network we never have to worry about using up our internet cap on our network when watching from the Bell Fibe App. I LOVE this app, the same app became available to us Bell Aliant customers back a few months ago, so I use it to schedule recordings if I realize I want to record something while I’m out or even to watch abit of TV. The option to download looks amazing, great if a friend has limited internet with Rogers !

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Hi. The same can be said for Bell Canada internet plans here in Ontario. They used to all have data caps but lets say you want to increase ur speed from 25 to 50 mega bits per second all new plans come with unlimited so i would watch my satellite tv channels thru the bell fibe tv app when all tvs in my house were in use and not have a worry in the world about data use

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi. The same can be said for Bell Canada internet plans here in Ontario. They used to all have data caps but lets say you want to increase ur speed from 25 to 50 mega bits per second all new plans come with unlimited so i would watch my satellite tv channels thru the bell fibe tv app when all tvs in my house were in use and not have a worry in the world about data use
Yes, in this day and age and the amount of streaming that Canadians do I’d almost say caps should be a thing of the past. My friends mom just switched to Bell Aliant recently actually and she was on a plan with a internet cap here with Rogers. Didn’t work out very well with the whole family consuming and streaming.

Here is an example of the same Fibe TV App you guys use, I use with my Fibe TV in St. John’s, NL ! My phone is with Rogers but I’m connected at home to my Bell Aliant Network

https://aliant.bell.ca/Fibe-TV/Fibe-TV-App

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Les. That's going to really be a welcomed addition to the app. Another question is whether anyone knows when Bell is going to implement Mediafirst and whether it's going to be compatible with the current hardware. It looks like Arris will be providing Bell with the VIP6102W STB. Interesting that it's going to be Android based. Looking to finish off my basement in the next month and I would love to have the latest offerings.

https://sites.google.com/view/droid-tv/pay-tv-provider/bell-canada-fibe-tv

·
Registered
267 Posts
I’m using the Bell VIP5662W STB from Arris with Bell Aliant Thanks for the info that seems interesting ! 4K is stunning on some of the channels. I really hope Mediafirst is implemented soon with the current hardware.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm from Toronto and just signed up for Fibe TV, I travel to visit family in Quebec frequently and the cable package they have isn't great. I was wondering if I purchased a Fire TV stick, would I be able to watch my Fibe subscription from there or does the Fire TV stick only work when on your home WiFi network?

·
Super Moderator
16,584 Posts
@mgut on bell.ca/fibetvapp, near the bottom of the page, see "Offer details"
Viewing with Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick (Basic Edition) or Android TV only available within your home and Fibe Internet with unlimited usage is required.
Your best option is a computer connected to a TV with an HDMI cable, which they classify as a mobile device. Keep in mind that not all channels are available outside the home:
"Watch over 500 live and on demand channels at home and over 450 on the go on all your mobile devices."
Click on "View all channels" to see the specifics on each channel.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Would I be able to chromecast from my laptop to the tv or does it have to be an HDMI? Easier to control from the laptop but it's far from the screen. I guess I can get a wireless keyboard and mouse

101 - 120 of 159 Posts