Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My trial period just ended and I chose my bundle. Is there a way so that I can flip throught my channels, without going through all the ones I dont have a subscription to?

Thanks for any help, this is really annoying.

KingC

·
Super Moderator
16,893 Posts
@kingchivas, there isn't a way to view only subscribed channels in one step. However, you can go to Setting>Television>Customize Channel Guide and remove any channels you don't want. You can page-down through the channels.

You can still go directly to any subscribed channel you have removed by keying in the channel number.

Each STB is set up separately so you can set up a kid's TV to only have the channels they watch.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just do Menu>Settings>General>television>Favourite channels and then check mark the channels that you are subscribe then save . After all your channels are chosen to go truth the favorite channels always touch the green button ( Square ) never guide , because the guide button will give you all the channels available . Like Dr Dave said if you have more than one receiver you can also choose the channels you want to see in that specific receiver .

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm not sure why you would use favourite channels rather than customizing your channel guide to filter so you only have your subscribed channels in the main guide.

Might take 30 minutes or so, but by doing this, you can then use your favourites for your *actual* favourites.

I've filtered out all the french and non-subscribed channels in my guide (as well as a few channels I would never watch (Calgary and Montreal feeds) and have just about 20 channels in my favourites.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The problem with all of these approaches is you won't see new channels and free previews unless you manually add them to the guide or favorites.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes, new channels certainly pop in... not sure about free previews, since the channel already exists and is just turned off, it probably wouldn't populate... Then again, if I'm not already subscribed to the channel, I probably don't care about the free preview :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
@WIll TO

Yeah, I currently accomplish this feat by having my received channels in the Favorites menu, but if I were to remove them from the guide, then I could use the Favorites menu for actual favorites, just as you suggest. LOL! Yeah, never thought of that....

I did see that Shaw is releasing a new 3D-compatible Motorola receiver (with a rather nifty Dolby Digital Plus logo on the front, too) that apparently automatically removes channels to which you don't subscribe. I wonder if we could get something like that via a firmware update for ours?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, new channels certainly pop in... not sure about free previews, since the channel already exists and is just turned off, it probably wouldn't populate... Then again, if I'm not already subscribed to the channel, I probably don't care about the free preview :)
There are some decent channels out there that I was interested in only once I saw them. For example, I had no interest in Treasure HD, but the preview they had was actually pretty good. If I decide to add another package or level (apart from one of the Premiere Movie ones, which I am considering), I might just go with that one. Dunno. I suppose you can add channels back that were previously removed from the guide? That is a concern for me.

·
Super Moderator
16,893 Posts
I suppose you can add channels back that were previously removed from the guide? That is a concern for me.
Yes, it's very easy to add the channels back. See post 2. Press OK to remove the channel; press OK again to add it back. There is even a function to view only the unchecked channels, so you can see what you are missing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree 100% about Treasure, same with the whole 4 channel pack (except maybe radx), but since you have a free preview of everything for the first month, it's lots of time to decide; now I have a pretty good idea about the types of programming on each of the channels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the answers, but I have to admit I don't like the fact I need to put in 30 minutes of work to block out unwanted channels...

I used to have Videotron, and channels would pop in and out if you had or did not have them.

There is no added value to havind to scroll throught unsubscribed channels

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is there a way to filter out Adult channels so that they don't show up at all. (ie: expressvu had an option to hide these channels). Even with parental controls I can still go into On Demand and see program info and pictures for Adult content. They also show up in search. With small kids I really don't want to see this at all.

·
Super Moderator
16,893 Posts
If you still get adult channels showing up in Mediaroom search, try customizing your channel list to remove those channels.

On Demand is separate from Mediaroom. I'm not familiar with Fibe TV's version, but MTS has instructions for setting setting up parental controls in VOD:

Press VOD on your remote. Select MY ACCOUNT / MY SETTINGS. Enter your Master Pin and select OK. Select PARENTAL CONTROLS

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Agree with King on this - a bit annoying that you have to manually configure your guide or use the favourites etc. A simple solution would be to apply the Guide options that Bell Satellite offered with the PVR - when you pressed Guide it would scroll through different choices, ALL Channels, SUBSCRIBED Channels only, HD Only...etc...

This would be a great little feature if Bell were to add it to Fibe functionality.

·
Registered
138 Posts
One more reason to customize the Guide, rather than using Favorites: the Search function will return hits from every channel in the Guide, even though you won't be able to watch/record the programs...

·
Registered
133 Posts
View subscribed and premium channels

Parameters

Client version: 2.4.29000.4001 (RELEASE)
Settings>Menu and guide>Customize channel guide>Check all>Save

Problem

When doing:

Settings>Menu and guide>Subscribed channels>View subscribed and premium channels>Save

Some unsubscribed international TV channels and unsubscribed international radio stations will still appear. Including unsubscribed none premium TV channels and unsubscribed local radio stations. Those channels need to be unchecked manually.

Normal restart and hard reboot (gear wheel) were completed.

Question

Has anyone experienced the same issue? Tech support thinks the box needs to be changed. I think that there is a bug with their software (latest version).

Thank you.

·
Registered
650 Posts
It's not a bug, channels in free preview, or channels that are "premium" or any other free channel will show on this list.
Free does equal subscribed. It's easy to swap the channels to subscribed, once that's done, edit the remaining list and remove the fluff you don't want.

All boxes function like this. Premium unsubbed channels show hoping that you'll order them if you see them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
View subscribed and premium channels

nitra wrote
It's not a bug, channels in free preview, or channels that are "premium" or any other free channel will show on this list.
I am not referring to free preview, Bell Fibe TV promotion channels, Aquarium channel, Fireplace channel and/or any type of premium channels such as SE, TMN, NFL, MGM, PPV or Vu.

Below are some of the TV channels and radio stations that need to be removed manually (unchecked).

The problem occurs with SOME unsubscribed international TV channels (e.g. CCTV News English, First National and Tamil Entertainment TV HD) and SOME unsubscribed local and/or international radio stations (e.g. CHTO AM 1690, Radio Herz and Polskie Radio 1).

Another example would be the RAI World package (when unsubscribed). It includes RAI Italia and RAI News. Doing "Settings>Menu and guide>Subscribed channels>View subscribed and premium channels>Save" will remove RAI Italia but not RAI News. To remove RAI News it must be done manually.

Has anyone experienced the same issue?

Thank you.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Didn't look into others but Rai News, I get the preview ended and subscribe to keep watching screen. I remember seeing that on a couple other channels after the preview is over. I think the channel eventually goes away.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts