Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I would like to know what the realistic speeds of Fibe are ? Bell Fibe6 is 6Mbps but in reality some have told me it's about 750 Kb/sec could someone verify this and what is the speed comparison over Bell Performance ?

Also What is the realistic speed for:

Fibe12 = Realistic speed is ?
Fibe16 = " "
Fibe25 = " "

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can't directly answer your question, but keep in mind that speeds are measured both in megabits/second (Mbps) and kilobytes/second. There are 8 bits in a byte, so 750 KBps * 8 = 6 Mbs.

Note, "b" is used for bits and "B" is used for bytes. However, often the capitalization is incorrect when people type it out.

I have a 25 Mbps connection and through speedtest.net can perform at between 25-26 Mbps. But the best download rate I have seen in "real world" usage is typically under 12 Mbps. You can't download any faster than the source site can upload.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the fibe 16 and have no problem getting the advertised speeds, especially when downloading from fileserve or hotfile or the like. Sometimes it is a bit under(4pm-9pm), but sometimes it is also a bit over (late at night, between 1-5am)

It is common knowledge that bell throttles torrents, so if that is the real world numbers you are looking for, look elsewhere. But really, who bothers with torrents these days?

But really the variance is pretty minor. I have not been a fan of Bell as an ISP for many years, they were always second rate to the cable co. Now I can actually say they are better than anyhting my current Cable Co. could offer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I doubt torrents are half of ALL internet traffic.

But most people in the know have not been using torrents for a good period of time. There are so many faster, safer options these days...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Fibe 12 speed

Using Speedtest.net I am getting 12.17 Mb/s download and .67 Mb/s upload.

Not happy with upload speed. Previously had Primus DSL and was getting a little more than that. Upload is suppose to be up to 1 Mb/s which I guess you can't expect but I thought it would be higher than this. I can order for an extra $5 a faster upload speed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I doubt torrents are half of ALL internet traffic.

But most people in the know have not been using torrents for a good period of time. There are so many faster, safer options these days...
what other methods would u say are better than torrents? i recently started downloading torrents for music and movies because i find it better when i want to download a whole album verses a song at a time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To answer the original question,

By experience, (for download) take the MBPS + 1/5th of the MBPS.

So Fibe 10 would be 1,2 meg / second.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts