Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the Toronto danforth area. Yesterday around 10AM my internet stoped working. I called up bell. After waiting n them doing some research they and i learned that some city workers were doing work up the street and cut the fiber optic lines that service my area. They literally just finished fixing the line. After being offline for literally exactly 24 hours. I had no Internet and No tv! ( Fibe tv).

Wondering if anyone else is around here experienced my outage also.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
That really stinks but unfortunately there is not much Bell can do when city decides to cut lines!

It does make you wonder what kind of redundancy they have built into the system.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea it was quite the pain. Internet i can live without for a while because i have a blackberry so i got my emails it was fine. Tv on the other hand.. Having Global, and cbc to watch was like a kick in the nutts lol.

To bells credit, their trucks were out there reparing the damage from about 11am yesterday to about 10pm last nite and again 6:30am today until about 10am this morning when they fixed the problem.

The CSR said there was quite a number of other folks effected by this outage so it must have been quite a wide area of people effected.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Last winter during a very cold spell, some construction workers working on a tear-down and rebuild house in our older neighbourhood cut the Rogers wires digging the basement down. We had no TV, internet, or homephone for about three days. And it was several blocks away! The cold slowed down the repairs - I went and talked to the Rogers guys on the site.

Anyway, can't fault Rogers on that but it was inconvenient. Fortunately one of my kind neighbours has an unsecured wireless internet connection that kept our computers up-and-running.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Make sure you get Bell to credit you for the 24 hours that you were out of service.

No it's not Bell's fault, but it isn't yours either.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
It does make you wonder what kind of redundancy they have built into the system.
It would appear none.....

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
In downtown Toronto, I would have thought they would have multiple fibre optic lines running to all the nodes.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They called me about an hour ago explaining how their sorry yada yada and they said ill be getting a $25 credit for being down. Not to bad i guess.

·
Super Moderator
17,261 Posts
I don't have any direct knowledge of Bell's network topology, but based on the outage I would guess they use a star topology with CO at the centre and fibre-optic bundles running to the nodes.

I'm almost certain the Central Offices would be connected with redundant access. One way this is done is a self-healing fibre-optic ring which allows the data to flow in either direction in a ring so that a single fibre cut wouldn't cause an outage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts