Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two bell satellite dishes. One signal for 91 and the other for 82. I am about to go to shaw because of this problem but would really like to avoid it. I have great signal strength but as soon as it rains my hd cuts out. I heard if i get a bigger dish it might help...anybody can suggest a dish or an idea that would help me out..

·
Registered
31 Posts
You currently have two 18" dishes I am guessing? HD is delivered via 82 of course so you could try replacing that pan with a 24" or even a 30". You will definitely increase your gain and should overcome rain fade.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Give us a clue as to what you consider "great Signal strength", also where are you located, and lastly the setup you are using, switch types, dish sizes etc.

EDIT your last post was about adding a second line to a 9200;

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1093922&postcount=1

You never did bother answering my questions on that occasion, so it could be that you have not got the wiring correct, from back in April I believe is was.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
signal loss

I have 2 18" satelite dishes one for 92 and 81. A sw44 connection and everything works great with about 65-75 percent. When it rains it goes below 50 and hd cuts out but everything else works. So is there a particular 24" or 30" dish i need to buy or will they all be compatible with this lnb

·
Registered
31 Posts
65-75% is not "great Signal strength" at all. With dedicated dishes you should be able to get signal into the 90's unless you are at the North Pole. lol.. You might try tweaking them before you try anything else. Do you have an abnormally long cable length? Is that signal at the dishes or at the end of the run at your TV?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
As Deepdish says, you should first look at aiming those Dish's better, especially the 82 degree one, you should get 100% on most TP's.

Again, location might help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
signal loss

i have 75 at my receiver with about a 50 feet run. I have had 90 before but always seems to drop down to about 70 or 75. Ive tweaked many times to get the signal better only for it to drop down again. The hd only seems to the be the problem and would like to try the 30 inch dish maybe.........???? ive seen some on CR for cheap is there anything i should be aware of before buying one?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I would be checking the connectors as a max of 75% on Nimiq 82 is low, again, depending on your location.

If you have another LNBF try that too, or swap it with the one on the 91 Dish, if they are the same, it could be a weak LNBF or a bad connector.

As long as the Dish has the correct LNBF any 30" will be fine.

Even a standard Bell 20" Dish should work to give you almost 100% on Nimiq 82, depending on your location.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts