Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed on Best Buy's weekly ad, the 4100 is a final clearance. Has anyone heard whether it is being discontinued? (Pinza!)

I only have one, and although it has a very small footprint, it is subject to interference from other electronics and prefer my 3100 over it for a Std Def receiver.

Recently when comparing equipment and services with other providers, I was told the competitor only provides HD receivers, and wondering if Bell is going the same way?

·
Registered
894 Posts
They could be, I think its the only non mpeg4 ird they were selling. There was a rumour they they were swapping out some non mpeg4 ird's but that maybe just the HD units.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I would love to see the end of the 4100, it is cheap and as you say dirtroad, subject to all kinds of interferrance, so I will not shed a tear when it goes. Having said that, Bell still churn out hundreds of 3100's each week so maybe they have finally worked out that this is the SD workhorse and it is time to get rid of the 4100.

With the small footprint of the 6131/6141, and its' ease of connectivity to SD TV's they could and should stop all sales of 4100's. The 3100 could still be used for SD Rentals, as a Rental Customer can be given a refurb.

Bell still have software in the datastream for the 1000, 2700, 3500, 3700, 4500, 4700 so it will be a long time before any existing 4100 owners loose software updates.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I would guess that 4100s haven't been made for at least a couple of years and Bell is just waiting for the old stock to sell out. I don't think Dish has sold SDTV receivers for some time. They probably dumped all their old stock in Canada with a deep discount for Bell. HDTV receivers are almost as cheap to make as SDTV receivers now so it makes no sense to manufacture new 4100s.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Dish still lists of a number of standard definition receivers, including SD only PVR's, on their web site. Bell is still selling the 4100 on their web site, so I don't think it's going anywhere yet.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
We still have a huge stock of them at our warehouse, and are always getting more. Also, haven't heard anything about them discontinuing it.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The Bell Fibe PVR's are very small, so it should be possible to shrink the size down of a Dual Tuner HD PVR just by using 3.5" Drives. Cooling would still be the main reason for larger cases.

The only advantage I see of the 4100 over the other SD receivers is an Opticl Output for 5.1 sound.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
it should be possible to shrink the size down of a Dual Tuner HD PVR
Agreed. The Shaw Direct 630, similar to the 9241 in functionality, is about 3/4 the size of a 6131 and very small compared the the 9242. It also uses less than 1/2 the energy of a 9242 in operation and much less than that in standby. It has a 2.5" hard drive.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Not very recently; but we had a bunch of brand new 9242's (yes, not refurbished), and sadly, installed most of them as 41's. Might even have a few left.

Also; Bell would hurt without a receiver, that didnt include a RF output. BB probably can't sell anywhere near as much 4100's as Bell too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts