Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
@markb: What you just described would suit me perfectly. Local Basic plus a pick 30 channels option for a total of $60.00 would give me all I want for about $30.00 less than I pay now. I hope this is how Bell TV implements pick and pay next year. I can't wait!

One other thing. Did you check your math? 5 TSNS + 5 Sportsnets = 10 channels. 10 channels is not half of 30.
You forgot to include Sportsnet 360 + the two Oilers/Flames companion channels, which are listed as part of the pick and pay. So a total of 13 of my 30 would be used. Instead I think TSN 1 - 5 should count as 1 channel same with all Sportsnets. Right now I have about 40 specialty channels and timeshift US feeds (which are not included in the basic). 30 channels would not be enough, and channels like CNN or CTV News Channel, Weather Network, etc, would not be basic services either.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
@markb: 13/30 is still not half but I admit its is getting close. Still for me I could meet my TV viewing needs very easily within those parameters. I don't watch that many cable specialty channels. 10 would do if it came down to costing issues, 15 would give me just about everything I would want. 20 would be almost overkill so as you can see for me if this is roughly what Bell is going to offer for pick and pay it would be a big savings per month. I expect that there would be winners and losers depending on one's viewing habits and preferences.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Employees: 0
2014 Advertising revenue: $29,525 (i.e. no one is advertising as no one is watching)
Subscriber revenue: $4,577,395 (Must carry, bundled)
Profit margin: 66%
Which is exactly why the CRTC make the right decision when it decided to scrap Cat A channels and bundling. There are far too many of these channels and getting rid of them, through attrition, is the right way to do it. Now, if we could just get HDNet back. ;)

·
Super Moderator
17,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
CRTC approves Category A conditions of licence

The following Category A licences were amended to remove specific conditions, which were replaced with a general description. Category A services will benefit from mandatory distribution only until their next licence renewal in 2017.

APPROVED - Application to amend the broadcasting licence for the national, English-language specialty Category A service in regard to its nature of service conditions of licence

2015-549 Book Television - featuring general interest and entertainment programming.
2015-550 MTV2 - featuring general interest, lifestyle and entertainment programming.
2015-551 Fashion Television - primarily dedicated to lifestyle and entertainment.

The CRTC is including the following condition in all general licences:

The licensee shall devote not more than 10% of the programming broadcast during the broadcast month to live professional sports programming, which falls under program category 6(a) Professional sports.

Bell Media also attempted to remove a condition from each licence that says:

No less than 25% of all Canadian programs broadcast by the licensee, other than news, sports and current affairs programming, shall be produced by independent production companies.

Since these are Category A services that benefit from mandatory distribution, that request was denied and will be reviewed in 2017.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Decision on converting 8 stations, Bravo, Comedy, Space and Much et al to Category B denied

Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2016-14

The CRTC has denied Bell's application to convert many of their Category A stations to Category B

"While the changes could be beneficial to Bell and its services, Bell has not provided evidence as to how the broadcasting system as a whole would benefit from the proposed accelerated timeline."

"Therefore, converting the eight Category A services into Category B services and reducing their regulatory obligations at this time could confer upon Bell an advantage over other Category B services"

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Why? Are not those stations going to change anyway by a certain date? So why the denial? If the CRTC is using the excuse they've stated, then come the date these CAT A convert to Cat B stations wouldn't the same excuse be used?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The CRTC feels that allowing them to convert early gives them advantage over others that might not convert early. Sort of like jumping the queue. It would also let them off the hook early for program expenditures. They are basically telling them we put the transition dates in effect for everyone to work towards you will have to wait.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Bell was only doing this so they could benefit from it, good for CRTC!

Seems Bell has been having nothing but problems and rejections for some time now, lol.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts