Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my Bell home phone number transferred to my new Telus smartphone, effectively ending my Bell home phone service. I got a bill in the mail yesterday showing the credited amount for the residence line, 911, etc. In addition to this, under "Miscellaneous Charges", there's a $5 charge for Deactivation Smart Touch Service".

What the hell?

Anyone know if this is them just nickel and diming their customers, or can I fight them on this? I know it's just $5 but c'mon!

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
74 Posts
I recently did the same ad had no such charge sited on my final invoice. I didn't actually receive any credits and had to pay till the end of the month since they have a 20 or 30 cancellation clause or something.

I would call them and have it out but is the $5 worth you time to spend on hold for hours? :)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, if I've got a free afternoon, why not? I'll put my phone on speaker, and play on the internet!

Strange that you had no such charge on your final invoice . . . I wonder if it had to do with not receiving any credits. Maybe they just don't like to issue credits to anyone. By the way, I know this'll sound dumb, but what is the "20 or 30 cancellation clause"?

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I talked with Bell just now. Turns out the reason I got this $5 charge is that I didn't give them 30 days notice. And it's true, I didn't. They said it was in their end user agreement, which of course I've never read. The lady on the phone was very nice about it, but she said that because the account is now closed, there's nothing she can do about.

I asked to be transfered to a supervisor, and he told me the same thing. I replied (in a very nice, friendly way) that I've been a Bell customer for a long, long time, that I've never hassled them despite getting repeated cold calls from them touting services that I've repeatedly told them I don't want, that I've never called up trying to get free stuff out of them. Basically, that I've been a good customer to them and it would be a nice gesture for them to reverse the $5 charge. The supervisor looked through my account information then told me that he would indeed reverse the charge. The refund cheque will be on its way to me in 4 to 6 weeks. :)

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DSgamby, you're absolutely right -- I did break the User Agreement. But that doesn't mean that Bell can't waive certain fees some of the time. The guy relented around the point when I said that I've never complained about the incessant calls I get from Bell trying to sell me certain services that I don't want. :p

Of course, he may have said what he did just to get me off the phone, and I might not get that $5, true. But at least I tried. Forty-one minutes total I was on the phone with them, most of it on hold. Four to six weeks . . . we'll see! :)

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Life is too short... why do you let something like a $5 charge make your blood boil taking time away from your life... wasting your time on Earth calling up people at Bell over 5 bucks? :rolleyes:

You'll live longer spending that time with your kids, mother, and even the family cat.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HDTV, what on earth made you think my blood was boiling at this? (Was it cos I used the H-E-double-hockey-sticks word in my first post?) If anything, I've become resigned to big companies nickel and diming us all the time. When I got the bill, I was confused, not enraged. When I called them up, I was firm yet friendly, even cracking jokes with the CSR and her manager. I was hardly frothing at the mouth!

And like I said before, I had an afternoon free (though the call took only 41 minutes) and I played on the internet during the call.

Hey, I erroneously got a late charge for my first Telus bill! Oh, heck, I'll just pay it even though the charge was in error. I don't want to waste even a second of my time . . . what's a couple bucks here and there?

:rolleyes:,
supervij

1 - 10 of 10 Posts