Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my 9200 is done and I can't afford to get a refurbished 9200 from bell at the moment I want to get my old 3100 working. I was on the phone with Bell and they said I needed a newer card not the older nagra one that is tied to the 3100. They won't switch cards and want to charge me $50 for a new card. I can get a whole 3100 receiver for that.

What type of card am I looking for? When I buy used what should I be looking for?

TIA :)

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
What a scam... $50 for a card so you can 'pay' for their service... they should give you the card for free...

Search Ebay for "bell satellite receiver"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know! I found a complete 3100 it says new with card/remote..etc for $30 so even better then just the card and this way Bell doesn't get more of my money. I will already have to suck it up and pay for a refurbished one. I paid FULL price for the 9200 and now will have to pay for a refurbished one while they turn around and sell mine to someone else...they got us coming and going :(

I just wasn't sure with the 3100 being an older model how some can be listed as new and have a new card. The 3100 we have can't be since when they did the card swap it wasn't activated on the account...listed just not active.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I wouldn't be so hasty to dismiss the refurb cost for a 9200. A working 9200 is worth more than that on the used receiver market. You might even get a 9242 as a replacement. Once the 9200 is deactivated, it cannot be exchanged for a working refurb and is worth a lot less. The $150 fee is actually quite reasonable. Repair costs at a private repair shop would likely be more. Hardly any electronics has more than a 1 year warranty anymore. At least Bell offers a replacement option. Some companies don't and make you purchase a new product at full price.

Bell does charge for smart card upgrades on a deactivated receiver. They can be convinced to refund the money as a programming credit. The net cost is nothing. Difficulties getting smart cards or refurbs for deactivated receivers is a good reason to leave them on the account.

I don't know if you have used a 3100 lately but there is no way they compare with a 9200. Not even close.

·
Registered
988 Posts
FWIW when my 9200 died I was able to negotiate to split the $150 cost 50-50 as I was convinced that Bell contributed to my 9200's problems. When you are shelling out $130/month on programming you'd be surprised what they will do to keep your business. Threaten to cancel and ask to speak to the retention department to see what they will do for you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I am not dismissing the 9200 at all..that is what I want but just can't afford it at this very moment so was hoping for a quick fix until I can afford it.

Off to call Bell again...thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts