Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have found that Bell will slowly raise ones bill no matter what service you receive from them so I am completely in agreement with you impression JamesK. Is Huawei Technologies Co involved in Bell's 5G?

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bell is currently going with Nokia and Ericsson, but wants to use Huawei too. On the other hand, Rogers is Ericsson and Freedom, Nokia, unless they've changed since I last did some work for them.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Not sure why Bell is advertising 5G on local Maritime's News programs. It is not available anywhere in NB, NS or PEI. Looking at their web sites I cannot find any start up date for 5G either.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Charging for it would have been crazy. LTE is generally great. The majority of people would hopefully have refused to pay the extra charge anyway.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^^
Also, unless you're in a location where the millimetre wavelengths are available, you will only get about a 25% performance increase over LTE. But mm has very limited range, so they'll need a lot of sites.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Millimetre wavelengths will be used at sites like stadiums or for short range dedicated services where limited range and wide frequency bands will be an advantage. 5G will replace 4G for wide area use on lower frequencies.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^^
Not just stadiums. Rogers is setting up 5G at the University of Waterloo. However, mm will definitely be most used in high density areas, rather than out in the sticks.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Not just stadiums.
It's a good thing I said "sites like stadiums." I guess that could include any room or area that might be densely occupied by a large number of people. With the current pandemic, I don't see that being rolled out in a hurry.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Besides the fact that it won’t be available in the Atlantic provinces anytime soon, as NovaMan already said, is the fact that Apple doesn’t seem to be in a hurry to make any 5G capable phones, and even when they do, the cost would be astronomical.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to wonder what the demand is with phones. On the mm wavelengths far more bandwidth is available than most users are likely to need, though large crowds may need a fair bit. On the lower bands it will provide a bit of a performance increase, but nothing major.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
People who adopt 5G early will benefit from less congestion on the lower bands. From what I've read, 5G phones so far have had to use extra chips and circuitry which is far less desirable than a fully integrated SoC. That has an impact on complexity, price and power use. Once SoCs with integrated 5G become widely available, more 5G phones from more companies should become available and prices should come down .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts