Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I believe you can also add an Ethernet cable to most Receivers and it will have the same affect as adding the phone line...except of course the Receivers won't show caller id :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some one calling and claming to be from Bell Canada

Hello, this is a scam phone caller. I just spoke to Bell and they said that no one will call you from bell to validate your receivers at home, especially seeing as how I own mine. The account person advised me to not give out any personal or billing information to this caller, especially my pin number, which is what the spammer was asking for.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
While the thread you replied to is several years old, Bell (like Shaw Direct) may indeed call to verify receivers. This is done to prevent account sharing (where you have a receiver set up at a friend's place so they can watch programming for free).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
I haven't had Bell satellite for years however when I did, they did call and ask for the code displayed on each receiver in my home. I wasn't home the first time they called. They say they left a voicemail but I never got it.

What they did then was to deactivate one of my receivers which forced me to call in to have it reactivated.

Gabriole, I would say that if the call you received was legit, they may do the same thing in your case.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
If they are calling about validating your receivers but instead they are asking for account related info like your pin number, then it sounds suspicious and is probably a scam. Yes I heard bell calls to validate your receiver, but if you get a call and it sounds suspicious and they are asking for different information like your pin numbers or to validate your billing address, I would be suspicious and very upset that scammers have to resort to this to try and scam you

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I agree. Bell may call but they will not ask for financial or other personal information. They will have receiver serial numbers and account info so they may ask for verification but not for the info itself. If in doubt, Bell will allow a call back. They will only call if there is more than one receiver on an account and they are not connected to a phone line or the internet. The best way to avoid calls is to connect the receivers to the internet (useful for VOD) or the phone line registered on the account (if possible.)

·
Registered
819 Posts
As others have said Bell will NOT ask for account info at all.

They will supply a receiver number and ask you to tell them the location id being displayed on that receiver, they will do this for all on the account. Any you cannot supply during that one phone call can be deactivated and will only be reactivated if it and the others are all dealt with during one phone call.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Any you cannot supply during that one phone call can be deactivated and will only be reactivated if it and the others are all dealt with during one phone call.
I believe they may even only leave one receiver active on your account, their discretion, but I guess they probably leave the ones verified active.

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
I'm not sure how it is today, but when I had BTV I had at least 5 or 6 not sure which receivers at the time. I was called at least 3 to 6 times a year asking for the code. But that was under stable since I had so many receivers on one account.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I plugged my receivers into the phone line and never got called. They checked them a couple of times when I called. The first time was just after I moved and they had to be authorized because they had been unplugged for a couple of months. Another time was when I added a receiver. Not sure why they did it the second time.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I believe they may even only leave one receiver active on your account, their discretion, but I guess they probably leave the ones verified active.
That is what they do if they leave multiple voice mail messages and get no reply within a specific period of time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have been with bell satellite since 1997 and never have i agreed to anything of this sort. if this was implemented after an original agreement was made they would have to revise the agreement and get consent to HARASS customers to prove their INNOCENCE on not service sharing. no one would agree to this in their contract. i have a contract to pay my bill and they have a contract to provide me a service. this is no way legal in any shape or form to interrupt or cut off a service for a reason that is not in the contract and i guarantee that you will not find what they are requiring anywhere in their contract. i just spent 2 days dealing with both bell (who i make payments to) and bell fraud prevention department (satellite police) and i have yet to comply to this nonsense, nor will i ever. i have never shared my service but i certainly will not comply with being harassed as a good loyal customer either. bell will have to figure out a way to catch these ppl service sharing without involving their paying customers. we will see what happens but bell promises this fraud prevention cannot and will not shut my service down for non compliance and i hope for their sake they don't try or there will be trouble for them and its going to cost me a lawyers visit and a letter. i am not going to let this go, this is harassment that people need to be aware of that is ILLEGAL. i pay my bills for service, my land line is not to be used as a form of harassment by them and i pay for a service that they are not allowed to interrupt as per the agreement i pay for my service. its that simple.....don't let anyone convince you its more complicated than that without showing you a signed contract you agreed to. not just paying your bill every month, thats a crock!

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
@ldg : I believe you'll find that the terms of service allow Bell to change those terms as required (by law or sometimes otherwise) and although you feel that you don't need to comply, Bell does need to prove that they do check some people, from time to time to comply with their license from the CRTC. See earlier posts in this thread.

You'll also probably find that there is nothing in the terms of service that forces Bell to provide service to anyone that they don't want to, whether that customer pays or not. This is not an essential service like electricity or water.

·
Registered
159 Posts
@ldg,

They've been doing this for decades. I was a client in the 1980s and 90s and had 5 receivers (I had a big house). At one time, you were allowed to have a receiver in your home and another on the same subscription at the country cottage. Then there was the problem of sub sharing.

Once they stopped allowing that, the only way they could tell that receivers were all at the same location is to call in and ask for the codes from the receivers.

This happened to me once. I came home one day to find that one receiver was not activated. When I called in, they said they had called and left a message and when I didn't call back, this was done to force me to call in. The fact is they never left me message but their ploy did work.

I can't remember the year this happened but I'm sure it was way before 1997.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Bell ExpressVu did not launch until 1997 so it wasn't earlier than that. Bell stopped free cottage installations several years later. The CRTC ruled against free cottage installations several years after that due to complaints filed by cable companies and broadcasters. (Shaw was still promoting them.) The first time I was required to validate Bell satellite receivers was in the winter of 2004.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've been a Bell subscriber for likely 15+ years. I've forgotten the length of time honestly. I just got the call to validate receivers for the first time this week. 6 receivers. It took about 10 mins to run from receiver to receiver to read the info off of the screen. Fairly painless, and the fellow on the phone says that I was good for another 2 to 5 years before I'll get the call again.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Received a phone call from Bell TV for the multiple receiver verification, today. Five receivers in the house, never connected any of 'em to a phone line.
The agent's script had her claim that they have to do the location verification procedure every three years because of CRTC regulations... yeah, funny, because I've been a subscriber for twenty years (ugh!) and this is the first time I've received the call :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
There is no regulation saying they must call. There is a regulation stating that satellite receivers on an account must all be in the same residence. How they verify that is up to them. It's done to prevent account sharing between residences which is also a violation of copyright law as well as most satellite and cable user account agreements. Bell has been calling since long before that was a CRTC requirement. They started doing calls around 2003. I was forced to do a location verification in 2004 with 3 receivers.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts