Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
In my own personal experience, I would NOT trust anything Bell tells me via e-mail or phone. :) But that's just my personal experience.

·
Super Moderator
56,431 Posts
damaaster: Although you can utilize Bell Sat at the cottage and at home, they expect you to be only using one location at a time and to move the receivers back and forth between the two locations (or activating/deactivating by calling in). If you try to have both locations active at the same time, or not be able to read out all the active receiver numbers, then they will shut you down to one receiver. Anything else is account splitting and is illegal, as discussed many times in this forum. The Bell CSR is misinformed, or lying.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Exactly what 57 said, a misinformed Bell CSR.

I think Shaw Direct still offer a program called "Home Away From Home". Check out the Shaw Direct Thread.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Potato, Potato. That does not work in print.....lol

What about "Po-tay-toe, Po-tar-toe".....

·
Registered
983 Posts
FYI

Shaw no longer offers the Home-Away-From-Home program. It is now called the 2nd Home program, or something to that effect.

If you are operating a receiver(s) in Florida or at the Cottage, they expect you to tell them, and they will bill you an additional 50% - 75% to cover the 2nd location.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Anything else is account splitting and is illegal, as discussed many times in this forum. The Bell CSR is misinformed, or lying.
I don't know how many times I've shown up for an install and the customer is expecting a dish and receivers installed in their home, and the CSR or sales person said that we'd also give them another receiver and dish for their cottage. Most of the time I think that it's probably the sales person just saying whatever he has to say to get the sale.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bell receiver verification call.

When Bell calls to verify all the receivers in your house (or when you call them back after they leave a message), do all the receivers have to be hooked up to the satellite dish at the same time?

I do understand that the boxes all have to be powered up & connected to a tv in order to see the ID / smartcard / Location Code numbers etc, and all receivers must be verified in that same phone call.

Have 4 BEV receivers in the house, but currently only have 3 hooked up to the dish. Other is a spare, but would like it to remain activated.

Can the verification be completed if one receiver is just powered on and connected to a tv set (to see the info screen), but not connected to the input cable from the dish itself?

Otherwise, can I unhook one receiver after it's been verified and then plug in the next one to verify that one in turn?

Just wondering if I really need to pick up another switch / splitter to connect up that last receiver to the dish just for the verification process.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
All receivers have to be hooked up, but if your fourth receiver is not hooked up, they will wait for you on the phone so you can connect the fourth receiver and read the id numbers to them, after you had verified other three receivers.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If it is a spare and is not hooked up for a few weeks it will not work when you do hook it up anyway, it will require a "hit" to re-activate the programming.

As long as you tell them it is a 'spare' and that you want it to remain on the account you should be good to go.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I had a spare and I had to hook it up and re- activate it while bell employee waited on the phone, so it may depend who you get on the phone.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
No reason they would just de-activate it but leave it on your account.

I have 12 receivers on my account, just 6 are active, never had to hook them all up, one by one, they just take details of the active ones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had to verify all my receivers last week, the rep told me that if I had my receivers hooked up to the telephone line then they wouldn't have to verify. I guess they use call display/ID to verify your receivers are located in one residence/location.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did mine this week, I had all six hooked up and read them off in about five minutes. He rambled off some rules for the session but I didn't understand what he said so we just started reading off numbers. We went so fast I was ready to start reading the first one again and he stopped me and said that is all of them. :)

81 - 100 of 119 Posts