Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,455 Posts
lukadigital I assume you would answer the call and tell them when you will be home so that they can call you then (or you call them) and appropriately verify the information, same as if you were simply out when they called on a landline.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I recently got a call from this department at Bell TV. They call from 1-866-395-9994. If you cannot complete the verification at that time then they want you to call back Mon-Fri 8am to 10pm to that number. They ask how many receivers you have in your home and if they are all connected. They advise you that the verification process takes 3-5 minutes per receiver and must be all done on the same conversation. They also advise that you are not allowed to three way the call or put them on hold during the conversation. They ask for the receiver number, smart card number, location ID, bootstrap for each receiver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently got a call from this department at Bell TV. They call from 1-866-395-9994. If you cannot complete the verification at that time then they want you to call back Mon-Fri 8am to 10pm to that number. They ask how many receivers you have in your home and if they are all connected. They advise you that the verification process takes 3-5 minutes per receiver and must be all done on the same conversation. They also advise that you are not allowed to three way the call or put them on hold during the conversation. They ask for the receiver number, smart card number, location ID, bootstrap for each receiver.
so did you call to validate your receiver?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I called them back two weeks after the first message to call them. Apparently they call three times and if you don't call back within 30 days, the receivers are all shut off except one.

The REP told me that I should not get another call for at least a couple years.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Has any one confirmed that connecting the receivers to a network with internet access preforms the same call home function as the phone line?

If this is the case setting up vpn would be even easier to account share ExDilbert lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
The network dial out does the same as the phone line connection dial out. Once you complete either, the receiver will say no dial out pending.

If a Bell TV customer does not have a phone line and wants to order PPV thru the receiver, a Ethernet connection will allow them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Interesting indeed.

So the plausibility of setting up say an openvpn server at your sub address and have an off site receiver with a static ip, piping its gateway through the vpn to your sub'd gate way would work.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mr. X's post got me thinking... I wonder what happens if someone is using the 'unblock-us' service in order to access US Netflix etc.. If they hook their receiver up to their internal network, will Bell somehow record it as coming from a US IP number, and cut them off?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Davage, only if you have your router set up as a client to the vpn gateway and its piping all traffic out to the vpn.

Then i suspect Bell will cut you off relatively quick.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Interesting you mention the VPN, as I have not thought about it and I run everything through a UK VPN to watch TV shows posted on the UK network websites, and I have my 9242 connected into this VPN, which would show my receiver as being in the UK.

I have had no issues yet (it has been plugged into the UK VPN for at least 6 months) and continue to receive service from Bell.

I also have my receiver connected to a phone line, and only 1 receiver on my account.

·
Registered
137 Posts
They do not call until you have 3 or more as far as i know. also you're receiver will try to call out on the modem first i'd assume. So in your case they can see its from your sub'd phone number.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got a call earlier this evening from them I have 6 recievers took about 10 mins
to verify them I have had Bell for 10 + yrs first time they ever called me.
Said it would probably be another 2 years or so before they call again.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Mr. X's post got me thinking... I wonder what happens if someone is using the 'unblock-us' service in order to access US Netflix etc. If they hook their receiver up to their internal network, will Bell somehow record it as coming from a US IP number, and cut them off?
To clarify, unblockus doesn't function in a manner which would cause this to happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reviving a bit of an old thread here but I just went through this today. I had been getting calls from Bell for a few months. Calls always came when I wasn't home so they left a message. Just thought they were trying to sell me something. Last message on Friday said to call within 24 hours or my receivers would be deactivated. I have 6, none are plugged into phone lines. 2 of my receivers were not currently hooked up to TVs but I told them they were when I called in.

So I call in. I get the company line about not putting them on hold, no 3 way conversations, no connecting and disconnecting equipment, etc. I started with the first, read the info on the screen. As I moved to the next my one disconnected the one I just gave the info about and connected the next one. Gave info on the second, came back to the my son just connected, gave info on it, he swapped out to the next while I went to another, gave info, came back gave info...finished off all 6. Took a total of about 10 minutes. No problems. Bell guy told me it would probably be 5 to 10 years before they bothered me again. I wish that was true but I somehow doubt it....I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
8,698 Posts
Then you must expect a call from Bell and call back if asked. They only call if you have more than one satellite receiver.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I am in the process of potentially switching to satellite from Cable. I am currently with Shaw and have spoken to Bell about a Switch.

The reason I want to switch, is because I have a cabin about 40 minutes north of where I live (I spend most of the summer weekends out there).

I spoke to a Bell guy, and he told me that as long as both residences were in my name (they are) I could put a reciever at the cabin and basically "share" my package with myself. I even have him emailing this to me as a selling feature vs shaw.

Based on everyone's comments on here - I am a little hesitant, as it sounds like he may just be telling me this to switch..... thoughts?

61 - 80 of 119 Posts