Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Anyone know a way around this?
There is no way around this, you need to have all 3 Receivers at the same location, that is what you agree to each and every month you pay the Bell TV Bill. Having 1 receiver at another location is against the Customer Service Agreement and as you have found out, resulted in termination of service on one of your receivers.

You are now red-flagged in their system so you should expect more frequent calls.

As advised, either get a 3rd line installed at the billing address or call Bell every time you go to the Cottage, so they can disable the 2 at home and activate the one in the Cottage, then call again, as you leave the Cottage to have this process reversed.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Yet another option is to switch to Shaw Direct. They typically do not call for receiver validation. It's not a move I recommend but it is available.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
.......or call Bell every time you go to the Cottage, so they can disable the 2 at home and activate the one in the Cottage, then call again, as you leave the Cottage to have this process reversed.
And wait on hold forever each time you do it. No thanks. I would do what 46FD04 suggests. But then you face having to deal with the satellite police and the squeaky clean slaves to Bell's TOS.

·
Registered
510 Posts
What I don't understand is that Bell polices this policy but Shaw Direct does not. Why does one company have to enforce the rules and other one doesn't?

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Bell TV got picked on due to rampant piracy with their service. Now they must prove to the CRTC that they are taking anti-piracy measures. Calling to verify receiver location is one of the easiest things to do. Shaw Direct was never pirated so they've never had to prove anything. Rogers cable filed a complaint about Bell allowing account sharing between homes and cottages. Rogers claimed it made cable uncompetitive and CAB got in on the complaint saying they lost revenue. I don't think a formal complaint was filed directly against Shaw Direct so they continue the practice of account sharing between home and cottage.

·
Super Moderator
56,470 Posts
Neither Shaw Direct, nor Bell allow account sharing between Cottage and home. Bell allow you to activate and deactivate receivers at home and cottage depending on your location. Only one location is allowed to be active at the same time.

Shaw Direct have the "home away from home (HAFH)" programme and their Terms of Service are the same, in that only one location is supposed to be active at the same time.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=110354 Note the bolding in post 1.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
I agree that the formal policy, as directed by the CRTC, is the same. However, account sharing and piracy have never been as big an issue with Shaw as they have with Bell. I've yet to hear of Shaw Direct calling to validate receiver location.

·
Registered
805 Posts
notsure, you know something we don't about Shaw?

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
For one, the encryption used by Shaw has not knowingly been broken. Bell's encryption was hacked more than once and the signals widely pirated for years. Bell (and Dish) pirating was so extensive that the CRTC told Bell to put an end to it. I'd say that if the problem is so widespread and well known that government regulators get involved, that makes it a big issue. I don't recall that the same thing ever happened with Shaw. Account sharing is an issue with both but Bell takes a more proactive approach.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Why rehash piracy problems that occurred years ago and have been resolved. The bottom line still remains some people want to get something for nothing in violation of the customer agreement between the subscriber and the provider. Those are the rules.....period.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just join my account on site Bell !

I noticed since few days tha I can view my 4 receiver.

For each receiver, I can activate, decativate, write Id Location or remove !

Does anyone tried to activate, deactivate or change his ID Location ?

Maybe that we can validate our receivers on site when Bell ask our Id Location !

I'm waiting your comment !

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
No you can not do it on site , it has to be done live as the id numbers change all the time. What would be the point if you could do it online.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
nm55, the purpose of the receiver location in your picture, is not the same as what bell requires. that one is solely for you to indicate such as "Basement", Living Room, Bedroom, etc, so when you use the Bell TV pvr app, you do not have to have to see a cryptic name like Receiver S00R00343... or R003RF5VB people generally find it easier to use an alias like bedroom, ketchen, living room, etc so on the app they can see this as well, as long as their receiver is plugged in with an RJ45 Cable

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
As indicated on the web page you can deactivate the receiver and remove it from your listing of equipment which is slightly different from what Mrs. Bell wants when they phone you. It may not have a GPS chip installed yet.:D

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Providing the receiver has been removed from the sellers account yes, although there are several instances, where this does not work first time.

I guess it all depends on the CSR at Bell and how diligent they are at removing the receiver.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Maybe a dumb question but what if you don't have a home landline where the receivers are located and all Bell has in their files is your cell phone number, they call to verify and your not home. This scenario must happen more frequently now that people are ditching their landlines?

41 - 60 of 119 Posts