Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ahhhhhh interesting. I was under the assumption they could change it remotely, hmmmm very interesting. Ahhh well, when 1 of his receivers is validated, il unhook it and hook up his other one, then when all is said and done take them back out to the barn for him, simple. My father's not very tech savvy or phone savvy so its the least i can do for him.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bell is essentially assuming that your father is guilty and putting the onus on him to prove he is innocent. Someone should tell Bell that this is Canada in 2012 and not the Soviet Union in the 1970's.
I got a call yesterday as well. I have two active receivers (9242, 6131) phone-connected, and a third (4700) for diagnosing at the dish (after hurricanes, etc) which isn't on or connected very often. I can appreciate that Bell needs to do these sort of things, but the methodology is flawed, I think. They call without warning, want you to give them your password and all kinds of detail from your receivers. My phishing instincts kicked in and I challanged the caller to prove that they are really Bell - they can't. When I challenged the caller, he became quite rude, saying he'll cut off my service, etc. They want you to provide all the info in one call, can't be put on hold, etc. This seems like an awkward way to do business and a bad way to treat loyal customers.

I said I'd call them back. I looked up the actual Bell Sat phone number from my last bill, called and asked for the tech group and completed the process. I encourage anyone getting hassled by the phone-jockey to make your feelings known to Bell as sometimes an attitude adjustment is needed ( I believe Bell calls it "coaching" .

·
Registered
988 Posts
My understanding was that this verification practice was mandated by the CRTC in response to complaints from cable companies that claimed satellite had an unfair advantage around account stacking that they were turning a blind eye towards. So being annoyed at Bell is somewhat misdirected - I can't believe I am defending Bell!

Also, now that you are on their "list" don't be surprised if you get another call 6 months down the road. Once they know you and shut you down once you tend to end up on their "favourites" listing. They typically call folks with >=3 receivers but will repeat more frequently if anything is found out of line.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I really wish we had a lawyer here to give us an opinion. I could be dead wrong, but I simply cannot believe that Bell can deactivate your service based on "a lot of people are account sharing". I also believe that there is a big difference between a CRTC mandate and the law of the land. But again I could be wrong.

Can you imagine if Microsoft called and demanded you prove that you didn't have any unauthorized software on your PC. If you didn't cooperate they would deactivate your Windows key.

Bell is used to operating under a "monopoly mindset", and still has delusions that it can treat customers as they please. Although, from what I have been hearing, it seems that people are allowing them to get away with it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Tell them he has go to the barn and make them wait while you go to the barn. It's true just make sure they are going to wait and not hang up.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
johnnyv says they cut off 'all' of his receivers, if that is the case that is wrong. They can and do disconnect all except 1 receiver until they get the verification they require.

I get calls at least 2 or 3 times a year, I make them wait, I refuse to carry the phone around from room to room, even though it is cordless. I give them details of the Receiver in my Front Room, then place the phone close to the speaker and let them listen to a TV show while I wander off to another room. After I have done this 5 times the call has lasted sometimes 15 - 20 minutes, as I can walk real slowly sometimes.

This verification can be done on any account with 2 or more receivers but with 1.8 million customers and only a very small team in that particular department, not every one gets a call. Sometimes adding a new receiver after having 2 or 3 for several years is enough to 'flag' your account, or just something you say when you call in. The CSR can 'flag' the account for a call from the verification team.

If you are not account splitting, live with the inconvenience. If you are offended, close your account, either way live with it, it is not something they do every week.

·
Registered
96 Posts
No. All of the (active) STBs need to be connected so that BTV can verify they are all at the same location. This has been discussed often on the forum and is done by BTV to discourage account splitting or having STBs at different locations. There is no need to be upset as this happens regularly,
Really? So if a company is accusing you of doing something against it's terms of service regularly, it's BECAUSE they are doing it regularly that you have no reason to be upset?

That logic is faulty.

I completely agree with the OP. Bell DOES do this regularly, that DOESN'T make it right. He has every right to be upset. If someone walks up to you on the street and accuses you of stealing (I'm not going to get into the discussion on whether account splitting IS stealing), do you have a right to be upset?

The last time Bell did that to me I gave them the numbers they wanted, and then I downgraded my programming with them on the same call (was planning to for a while, they gave me the trigger). When they asked WHY I was downgrading I told them because they were accusing me of stealing (I'm also a customer since around 98).

Call it luck or not, but I've never been called again. Something to try?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I think Bell states if you connect the receivers to a phone line as suggested you wont be called. Not being able or unwilling to attach to a phone line exposes you to manual verification.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Connecting receivers to a phone line is not guarantee that you won't need to go through this process. I always had my receivers connected to phone lines and still had to do it twice. The first time was after moving, during a call to get the receivers rehit to get back missing channels. The second time was when calling to sell a receiver.

The ridiculous thing about how Bell does this is that probably does more to inconvenience honest customers than it does to deter account splitters. Due to the amount of time it takes to do a call, they certainly can't be catching that many people. If you want to blame anyone for this practice, blame CAB and cable companies. Broadcasters lobbied for procedures to prevent both account splitting and the use of receivers at second residences, such as Summer cottages. It was standard practice to allow use at a second residence but CAB complained about losing revenue and cable companies complained about unfair competition.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think Bell states if you connect the receivers to a phone line as suggested you wont be called. Not being able or unwilling to attach to a phone line exposes you to manual verification.
False.

I, and others I know, received the call even with ALL receivers connected to the phoneline.

FWIW I haven't had any of them connected to a phoneline for the past few years and still haven't received a call.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
This is a very old subject and nothing has changed since this procedure was implemented several years ago.

Bell TV (Bell ExpressVu as they were), reserve the right to contact Customers with 2 or more receivers active on an account to verify that all active receivers are located at the address shown as the service address in their file.

All Receivers must be verified during one phone call, either to or from Bell TV's Signal Verification Dept. Nowhere does it state that you have only a set time to get all the information required. I take my time, make them wait for wasting my time but that is just me.

If only some of the receivers can be verified then it is at the discretion of Bell TV to disable some or all except one receiver on that account until the receivers CAN be verified during one phone call.

Connecting to a Phone Line or to an Ethernet Line is NOT a way to avoid this verification process, although it may well reduce the number of calls you get from them.

So in short. Every month when you pay your Bell TV Invoice, you agree to the above. If you do not like it, cancel your account and go elsewhere.

This entire this was forced upon Bell by the CRTC, as stated earlier in this thread because Cable Companies cannot provide service at a customers Cottage just for the weekends, as Bell Tv Customers can, by moving a receiver around the country. Also A cable Customer cannot take any of his receivers to another location and expect them to work. Which as we all know can and does happen with Bell TV Receivers.

I have NEVER connected my receiver to a phone line, never will. I get calls every single year, I take my time, enjoy messing with their heads. If you get the call, just chill out, give them the information they require and sit back happy in the knowledge that you just wasted as much of their time as they did of yours.......

Now, watch TV and relax.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Got them activated again for him. Turns out the 2 receivers in the barn were still working, its just his other 3 were out. Ahh well, was easy, took only a few minutes to read off a bunch of numbers from each receiver. Up and going again!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
You were too fast my man, give them pain.......lol

Glad it worked out though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Got my called today,the rep wanted all the numbers: receiver#,smartcrd#,LocationID#,bootstrap#.

Of course the call was at Supper time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I have also received the call for validation, i gave 3 receivers, 2 at the housr and 1 at the cottage. The csr at Bell told me all three need to be hooked up and turned on for the validation to occur. Problem is I can only validate 2 at a time as my current hook up only allows for 2 conections.

Anyone know a way around this?

Can i just write down the information they are looking for (receiver id etc) and call them with the info?

1 receiver went down today

Help

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
The other "Bell approved" way to do it is to call from each location to validate the receiver(s) there. That way, only the receiver(s) at the current location will be activated and those the other location will be deactivated. Note that this is done to appease cable companies and broadcasters (CAB), not Bell TV.

·
Registered
983 Posts
black rainbow,

get a 3rd line installed at your house, and bring the Cottage receiver home for the winter. Leave it hooked up to your house dish, so that it constantly updates, and it's ready to roll for the Cottage season.

Also, when Bell calls, it will be available to you to give them the Location I.D. when they request it.

I have done this with my Cottage receiver for several years.

21 - 40 of 119 Posts