Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our most recent bill, calls after 6:00 pm which were supposed to be free were charged by the minute. This resulted in an overcharge of $15. The CSR suggested that this was due to a system error and the charges would be removed. When asked that, since this was a system error, would other customers accounts be reviewed and amended, the answer was that "well customers have 90 days to complain about over charges." So a heads up, the day in question is Dec 2, 2010. There is, of course, the larger question. If they have a "system error" (based on our experience not a rare occurrence), over charge their customers, and don't take remedial steps, and since many users don't check their bills carefully, this would seem to be an all too convenient way to increase revenue. Might one suggest that since they are not notifying customers or fixing over billing even when they are aware of it, that they are engaging in premeditated theft from their customers.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Might one suggest that since they are not notifying customers or fixing over billing even when they are aware of it, that they are engaging in premeditated theft from their customers.
You may certainly suggest it and you would be correct. I am convinced Bell does this on purpose.

·
Super Moderator
11,126 Posts
I am more inclined to believe it is due to incompetence. I see it happen all the time. Unfortunately it is now caveat emptor.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Systems don't mysteriously make errors like this, humans do. Bell has enough information to reverse the charges on the next bill. Not doing so is the same as theft. Customers should not need to call either. This might be worth reporting to the federal industry watchdog to ensure that customers receive their refunds before Bell conveniently "loses" the billing data.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have three Bell phones. I upgraded two of them to "smart" phones and despite being explicitly told by the sales rep in the store that I wouldn't be charged a hardware change fee (she said she could waive it in the store but if I were to do it myself over the phone I would be charged), they got me for $35 x 2!

Then, to top it off, the three phones were originally on a plan where text messages between them were free (with a Family Share plan) but after my upgrades, texts from the two "smart" phones were free but the "old" phone was getting billed $0.15 per text to the other two! I ended up paying more for text charges than my service plan! When I was on the phone with the retention department, the guy asked why the plan on the "old" phone was changed I said, "That's a very good question! YOU tell ME!".

On a positive note, I did get credit for the extra charges. But it's frustrating that I have to scrutinize their bills in this way.

p.s. Ever try to find out why a text message charge is $15 (like when your daughter unknowingly signs up for daily jokes)? Even the service reps take 30 minutes to find out. Goes to show how inept they really are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased a phone, returned it, purchased another, I was told the 35$ would automatically be refunded and it was not.

As a side note, many people do not know this, but check your Terms of service for bell: when over or undercharged, you are not responsible for that amount AND you are entitled to applicable interest.

Edit: you do have to notify them of it, there is a time limit (I cannot remember as there are different dates for different errors)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Bell Billing Experience

I have similar experience with Bell. I was told by a Bell World employee that I could bundle my Bell home phone and Bell Mobility internet account to save $5 per month. I explained to the man that I had the most basic home phone service with pulse dialling and a third party long distance plan. He said "No Problem" - sign here. I don't think that he was dishonest; he just didn't have a clue about what happens after the store cuts its ties with the customer after he walks out of the door.

Every so often I would call Bell about when I would see the discount on my bill. I was continually told to be patient, that 2 or 3 billing cycles usually pass before it appears on my bill. After 5 months, I very much complained. I was then told that I must have a number of extra charge features on my home phone line in order for the home phone line to be eligible for bundling.

I do not like to deal with Bell, especially knowing that I must deal with their contract employees on phone banks all across the world not having direct face-to-face access to their Montreal management. Bell Canada used to be a rock solid company pre-1970. This is progress?:(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re:p.s. Ever try to find out why a text message charge is $15

We also had a similar issue with a ringtone service called Motime. $10/month. Showed up out of the blue. Bell CSR argued that it was our daughters fault for giving out her phone number (not sure what use a phone is if you can't give out your #). However, you must go to the Motime website to sign up and none of us had ever heard of it. When it was pointed out that they had added an unauthorized service to our bill, and thereby had violated our contract, allowing penalty free cancellation, they changed their tune. These so-called services are simply a ripoff that Bell pretends they have no control over, though I'm sure they get a portion of the fees. I'm beginning to think that all the wireless companies need to be investigated for fraud by the appropriate law enforcement agencies. Forget their self funded governing body.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts