Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bell Aliant announced yesterday the introduction of its FibreOP Internet 170/30 service which, as its name implies, offers download speeds of upto 170 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 30 Mbps.

Speed like that won't come cheap, however, as the service is expected to cost a whopping $250 per month.

The company's fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) network is now available in the greater Fredericton, greater Saint John and greater Moncton areas. The company did not disclose what bandwidth caps would be imposed on the service or whether it would reduce speeds on peer to peer downloads.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that cap confirmed?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
You'd expect the rational option (unlimited). Though I would predict it's not..

They'd love their 1000x markup on bandwidth usage more than ever, if the user could rack up several TB over what they deem "acceptable" usage ;)

·
Registered
833 Posts
For a price like that, I'd expect it to be uncapped.
No way will it be uncapped. Business-class services are typically uncapped and a service with speeds like that would easily cost 10x as much. Based on current trends I'd be shocked if the cap was any higher than 250GB and I'm guessing it will be more in the 150-200GB range.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
So at 151 Front 100 Mbps from Cogent costs somewhere around $6 per meg... But people here would seem to think that $250 for this Aliant connection is too much, and that they should have the unfettered ability to hammer it 24/7 if they so choose. How do the economics of that approach make sense to an ISP?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So at 151 Front 100 Mbps from Cogent costs somewhere around $6 per meg
??????????????

·
Registered
833 Posts
To elaborate - 151 Front St in downtown Toronto is the "carrier hotel" where virtually all of the major carriers have termination points. If you want to setup an ISP in the GTA you would typically setup service in a colocation facility directly in 151 Front St or you would use another facility that has a fiber connection back to 151 Front.

From within 151 Front you have multiple Internet providers to choose from and Cogent is a popular one with ISPs because they are one of the cheaper ones. As travisc says, Cogent charges around $6/Mbps so a 100 Mbps service will run you $600/mth. Note that is for the Internet service alone. You still need routers, switches, and a whole lot of other stuff in order to actually get those services up to the end user. That's why the idea of getting unlimited Internet with speeds like 170 Mbps for anywhere near $250/mth is laughable.

·
Registered
234 Posts
BellAliant here in the Atlantic provinces has never had any caps and we hope to keep it this way. I sympathize with those of you living elsewhere being charged insane overages but they operate totally seperate from Ma Bell. Also, it would be quite ridiculous to have a cap limit set on a fiber optic internet connection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts