Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,700 Posts
Skinny Basic must be available by March 2016 for a maximum of $25 and is limited to networks and a handful of CRTC mandatory specialty channels. Providers must also offer specialty channels in small theme packs or pick-and-pay by that date.

More details in the link above.

Bell hasn't released the details yet, but someone will post them in this thread when they are announced.

·
Registered
309 Posts
crave tv going up by 2$ figured that much got this notice on my bill today

As of March 1, 2016, the monthly price of the
CraveTVTM add-on service will increase by $2 per
month. Price adjustments support our continued
investments in network, product and service
enhancements.
This new rate will be reflected on bills received
after March 30, 2016. If you are currently receiving
a promotional offer for CraveTV, a bill credit will be
applied to ensure your existing pricing remains the
same until your promotional period ends. You will
then move to regular in-market pricing, which will
include this increase.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Skinny Basic?

Has anyone heard any rumblings about what Aliant is going to do with the CTRC "Skinny Basic" mandate coming March 1st?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Good question. It's getting awfully close now. I'm sure they'll only do the bare minimum required. I was hoping this could benefit packaged customers as well with cheap picks to add single channels.. but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
They could just do something like what they already do in Quebec, but I guess that wouldn't screw the customer over hard enough for their liking.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It was reported on TV that BA customers wanting the new skinny bundle will be required to purchase internet with the television service.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
As posted in another thread, I just finished chatting with a CSR. Skinny Cable isn't coming out until March 1st including the actual list of channels.

I would just get the skinny cable with fibre op anyways. Hopefully it is a fairly interesting bundle.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It was reported on TV that BA customers wanting the new skinny bundle will be required to purchase internet with the television service.
I guess we'll have to file a complaint to the CRTC and ask them to make the providers offer the skinny bundles *without* bundling restrictions.

·
Registered
234 Posts
LOL, anyone really surprised that BellAliant would put a restriction on Skinny Basic?

Also, still no mention of the ala carte offerings/pricings.

·
Registered
453 Posts
file a complaint? last time i checked their TV service runs over the internet and that's why they call it IPTV. are they supposed to offer a free internet connection to people who just want the tv pack then? but the best way BA can counteract that is if you get the TV service without using their own internet they can just have a disclaimer where if you experience issues with your TV service they will not be able to support you because they can't troubleshoot your net connection since its not theres

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
You maybe correct.
In the case of BA IPTV, needing TV and internet makes total sense.

Ordering TV only is actually a satellite install. I wonder if you can order a satellite TV skinny basic without the internet requirement?

·
Registered
965 Posts
I don't believe they're allowed to require internet access. The skinny basic has to be available standalone without any other services.

·
Registered
965 Posts
TV does NOT run over the internet. It's on a separate closed network, completely different traffic. The only time it's on the same network is when it's on your network. Certain non-TV channel apps/features require internet.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Of course upon reading the CRTC ruling it's really not explicit in this scenario... that's cool. By cool I mean not cool. They sort of imply it, but it's not explicit.

"Accordingly, while acknowledging the value to Canadians of BDUs’ first-tier offerings as currently packaged, the Commission is of the view that the $25 maximum price for the small entry-level service offering would be appropriate and sufficient to allow BDUs to recoup their associated network access costs for those subscribers who choose to take the entry-level service offering and thus to continue to provide their services to Canadians on an efficient basis."

Network access costs being the cost of the cable or fiber connection, I'd assume. Yeah...

"Moreover, with the exception of 9(1)(h) services, the combined wholesale cost of which represents less than $1.50 for each linguistic market (i.e. $1.24 for the English-language market and $1.45 for the French-language market), none of the services in the entry-level service offering described above requires that the BDU pay a wholesale rate. Consequently, aside from the cost of OTA services, which can be retransmitted pursuant to a tariff, the bulk of the cost of providing this service consists of network access costs (e.g. capital expenditures for network construction, maintenance overhead and back-office and customer service costs)."

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
LOL, anyone really surprised that BellAliant would put a restriction on Skinny Basic?

Also, still no mention of the ala carte offerings/pricings.
They'll drag their feet on that as long as possible, so, December.

Or they could just offer what they already do in Quebec, but that's crazy talk.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts