Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have 70/15 fiber with bell aliant and i've been reading some people have used there own routers instead of that action tec i cant stand the interface i want to use my linksys could somebody please tell me how i can do this without losing my cable

thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
There are several ways to do it depending on your needs.

The most basic way is to connect your Linksys to a WAN port on the actiontec. Turn off wireless routing on the Actiontec, and enable it on the Linksys.

Then using DHCP, all the wireless devices in your home can access the Linksys router for their IP address.

If you need more detailed information, just post here!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats the way im running it now and it works most of the time but sometimes when i restart my pc it gets a 169. starting ip address and wont connect im guessing thats because my linksys range starts at 192 can i go ahead and just give my pc a static ip?

·
Registered
300 Posts
The ActionTec router gives out IP's in the range of 192.168.2.xx and the linksys gives out 192.168.1.xx

The 169 address you see is probably the web IP that Aliant is providing to your router, but your computer will have one of the above IP addresses.

If you are running windows, open a DOS window and run the following command - ipconfig

Then you will see the IP of your computer, the subnet, and the domain.

You can set the computer to a static IP using the Linksys, but just make sure to use an address that is outside the range of DHCP. For example, in the linksys, the IP range is something like 192.168.1.20 - 192.168.1.256. You would set your computer to 192.168.1.2 - 192.188.1.19 (somewhere in between).

Hope that makes sense!:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
A 169 address is the default address that Windows will provide when it does not receive a dhcp address and times out. It means that for some reason your computer is not able to receive an ip address from your router or the action tec router.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts