Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

141 - 160 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
@emac: It's not a case of Bell being stupid. It's has to do with Bell's conception of the purpose of their receivers' hard drives. The drives are not seen as an archive but rather as a site for short term storage of time shifted programming. Once you've seen the recorded material the viewer is "expected" in Bell's user world to delete it. If you want to keep something permanently then you should invest in a separate hard drive and copy your recordings to it.

Are they right in their conception? No for many but that's how they've been thinking since day one. Yeah you probably would be better off with a 9400 but I believe you'd lose some present and even future functionality if Bell does eventually offer a Hopper/Joey configuration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 9500 isn't compatible with legacy LNB/SW44 systems. A quad Dish Pro Plus (DPP) LNB had to be installed. Could have bought one and done it myself but for $75 it was worthwhile to have the Bell tech do it all.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That makes sense. I already have a DPP Twin & Two DPP 44’s so I should be good then providing I can find a 9500 at a retail store like Visions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
I’m getting ready to purchase a 9500 from Bell online soon I don’t see any Duo Hub listed am I missing it or is there an outlet like the source that I can purchase it from? I’m already running DPP twin with two DPP 44’s so I will decline any offer of a truck roll. I guess I wouldn’t need the duo node right away but eventually I will run two 9500’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
duo hub

Basically two lines from the dish go to the ODU ports of the hub and two lines from receivers go to Host/Advanced client ports. Unused port for Client (7500) i terminated so the water wont go in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remote Extender for 9500 Receiver

Has anyone had any luck purchasing an ir remote extender that they know will work with the bell 9500 receiver? I tried one and could not get it to work with this receiver. I do believe the remote extender was working as the lights would flash when I would hit buttons on the remote. Not sure why they got rid of the uhf with this remote and receiver.

·
Registered
328 Posts
So I read some people say the 9500 had PIP brought back, but I don't see that listed on Bell's specification page or on the new remote control. I've talked them into giving me a free replacement for my 9400, but if it doesn't have PIP/channel swap brought back, I'm not even sure I want it. Can anybody confirm this?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
So I read some people say the 9500 had PIP brought back, but I don't see that listed on Bell's specification page or on the new remote control. I've talked them into giving me a free replacement for my 9400, but if it doesn't have PIP/channel swap brought back, I'm not even sure I want it. Can anybody confirm this?
The Bell 9500 Receiver does NOT have PIP...but neither did your 9400 so what is the issue?

·
Registered
328 Posts
The Bell 9500 Receiver does NOT have PIP...but neither did your 9400 so what is the issue?
The issue is that their 9242, which melted to my TV stand 3 months ago, had PIP and channel swap and I'm trying to figure out why Bell likes to go backwards in features. The 9400 is a free rental they gave me that I'm not happy with.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I feel your pain...I still have 2 9242's along with a 9400 and a 9500.

Much more recording space on the latter two...but pip is really hard to replace.

I believe it's not only Bell that has eliminated pip...no tv manufacturer that I can think of has pip either and at one time it was common place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a problem for me too coming from a 9241 and UHF remote. I split the signal to two TV's and simply want a way to control the 9500 from both rooms. Networked, UHF doesn't mater anything will do!

Thanks

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
Try doing a search for Wireless IR Repeater or Remote Control Extender. A Logitech Harmony Hub is another option. It works with a companion Harmony Remote, smartphone app, Amazon Alexa or Google Home.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks ExDilbert, I was busy browsing Monoprice and others after I posted above. I've had a Harmony remote in the past, the Hub looks like a winner to me!

·
Registered
30 Posts
IR extender

Has anyone had any luck purchasing an ir remote extender that they know will work with the bell 9500 receiver? I tried one and could not get it to work with this receiver. I do believe the remote extender was working as the lights would flash when I would hit buttons on the remote. Not sure why they got rid of the uhf with this remote and receiver.
For anyone who will do IR extenders, on the picture below i highlighted the place of where you would stick the extender LED, there are barely visible three holes for IR eyes

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
There are two IR frequency bands commonly used for IR remotes. Some third party IR equipment and remotes do not support the band Dish/Bell equipment uses. IR repeaters and remotes should specify what frequencies or equipment they support. If they don't, assume Dish/Bell equipment isn't supported.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Is there any way to transfer recordings from a 9400 to a 9500? (is it possible with an external hard drive?)

Also, since I'd be replacing my 9400, are there any changes that need to be made to the satellite dish/lnb itself?

141 - 160 of 197 Posts