Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi. I have 2 9500 and one 7500 receiver and would info on hooking it all up. Anything extra I need? Their website says you can double the recording capabilities with 2 9500 receivers but how do you hook it up to gain that ability? Does it work like dish network setup
Yes it does exactly like dish network, two lines from DPP lnb go to Duo Hub, two lines that say host/advanced client go to 9500s, line in the middle saying client go to 7500. First connect two 9500, do a test on check switch screen, then wait until the software loaded. After that plug in 7500 and press 'download'. It will take few seconds to load and few minutes to install. Done! Just be sure not to plug in 7500 before 9500s are done. If you do, then 9500 will freeze, then you restart it and it will go to recovery mode, 50/50 chance it will recover or will become a brick.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Has anyone noticed an increase in hard drive space lately?
I've had a 9500 since they came out.
Since the beginning it's always had 150 hours of HD space...although recording an hour never takes up an entire hour probably due to compression.
About two weeks ago, the receiver began telling me that I have over 200 hours HD space (over 700 sd) and no I haven't added anything to my setup.
Obviously I'm not upset but I'm wondering if they have done something like using a higher compression rate?
Did they update the Firmware? My software is version 106.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
This could be "media shrink". It was introduced on Rogers in 2014 and discussed recently in BellMTS, see link below:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had a 9500 since they came out.
Since the beginning it's always had 150 hours of HD space...although recording an hour never takes up an entire hour probably due to compression.
About two weeks ago, the receiver began telling me that I have over 200 hours HD space (over 700 sd) and no I haven't added anything to my setup.
Obviously I'm not upset but I'm wondering if they have done something like using a higher compression rate?
Did they update the Firmware? My software is version 106.
I noticed this as well and was pleasantly surprised at all the extra space...until this morning when all I had was extra space. I was watching tv last night, my 9500 had over 100 hrs of HDTV saved, and more that 80 hrs left. I turned it on this morning and it was empty. All my scheduled recordings are still scheduled and have resumed recording today, my guide is still set the way I like it, but everything that was saved in my recordings is gone. Obviously nothing can be done now, but just wondering if anyone has had this issue or can explain why it happened or how to prevent it from happening again.

Also, I’ve read through all the posts (I think) and am still unclear about something. I have 3 TVs, one 9500 (owned) and two 6400s (rented) I’d like to upgrade the 6400s to 7500s (own instead of rent) in order to watch stuff from the 9500 on all 3 TVs. The bell website tells me I need two 9500s and one 7500 for 3 TVs, but if you had 6 TVs you only need two 9500s and four 7500s. That math doesn’t make sense to me, if two 9500s can do six TVs, then can’t one 9500 do three TVs? With my current setup, can’t I just unhook the 6400s and replace them with 7500s and everything will work fine (once they’re registered/activated of course)?
Thanks in advance, great forum with lots of great advice.
Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
if two 9500s can do six TVs, then can’t one 9500 do three TVs? With my current setup, can’t I just unhook the 6400s and replace them with 7500s and everything will work fine
Keep in mind that the 9500 has 2 tuners and the 7500 has zero tuners (it uses of the the 9500's tuners). If you were recording one program, you would be able to watch one other live channel on one of the 3 TVs. The other possibility might be the type of hub required (I don't know much about the hubs - there is some info earlier in the thread.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Keep in mind that the 9500 has 2 tuners and the 7500 has zero tuners (it uses of the the 9500's tuners). If you were recording one program, you would be able to watch one other live channel on one of the 3 TVs. The other possibility might be the type of hub required (I don't know much about the hubs - there is some info earlier in the thread.)
Does that mean that if I was recording something on the 9500 and also watching something live on the 9500, any 7500 connected to it would not be able to access live tv, only vod and recordings on the 9500? Is it possible to use a 6400 in conjunction with a 7500 on one tv, so I could watch live tv independent of the 9500 while also being able to communicate with the 9500 for recordings and vod? I’m probably asking for too much, we can’t have our cake and eat it too.

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
Does that mean that if I was recording something on the 9500 and also watching something live on the 9500, any 7500 connected to it would not be able to access live tv, only vod and recordings on the 9500?
That's correct.
Is it possible to use a 6400 in conjunction with a 7500 on one tv, so I could watch live tv independent of the 9500 while also being able to communicate with the 9500 for recordings and vod?
I think so. I'm not a satellite customer, so my knowledge is limited to what's in this thread. Things to consider:
1. You will use 2 HDMI inputs on your TV or AVR.
2. Remote control conflicts (I think they use different remotes, so it should be OK)
3. I don't know if there are wiring issues mixing 6400s and 7500s.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Yes it is possible to use your 6400's and your 9500 all on one tv if you like.
Like Dr. Dave says though...you will be using 3 satellite inputs along with 3 HDMI inputs on your tv or AV Receiver.
Works quite well as I use a 9400 and 9500 together on my main TV and have 4 tuners to play with.
The two other tv's use 9242's so they are self sufficient.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is the only way to purchase a 9500 or 7500 through Bell? Are there no more retail stores (Best Buy, Visions, etc.) that sell Bell satellite receivers?

Also, if you have to go directly through Bell are they forcing you to pay to have it installed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
First, thank you to the people who answered my questions.

Where I live (gta) you can buy them from The Source. In my experience, going through Bell they will do everything they can to make you pay for an installation because they always have “new technology that isn’t compatible with the current setup that you have in your home”.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Seems like The Source no longer has any Bell (Sat) receivers.

First, thank you to the people who answered my questions.

Where I live (gta) you can buy them from The Source. In my experience, going through Bell they will do everything they can to make you pay for an installation because they always have “new technology that isn’t compatible with the current setup that you have in your home”.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I have a 9500 and just bought a 7500. I plugged in the 7500 and it tells me no host PVR found.
My set up before was a 9400 and a 6400 the dish has a DP plus lnb on it and it was 2 lines running direct to each receiver. Can someone help me out.

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
I have a 9500 and just bought a 7500. I plugged in the 7500 and it tells me no host PVR found.
My set up before was a 9400 and a 6400 the dish has a DP plus lnb on it and it was 2 lines running direct to each receiver. Can someone help me out.
I think you will need at least a Solo Hub so the 2 receivers can talk to each other. There are diagrams in the first couple of pages of this thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I have another issue. My 7500 is new and it loads right into a whole home pvr screen. I can't exit the screen or hit cancel. I tried to push menu and it does nothing.

The bell Rep says my remote might not be sync with my receiver. But I can move up and down on the one screen.

Any tips on this. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is there a way to disable the "no internet" warning icon on the 9500 on screen banner? I know I don't have the internet/wifi connected, and don't need to see that error icon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes it does exactly like dish network, two lines from DPP lnb go to Duo Hub, two lines that say host/advanced client go to 9500s, line in the middle saying client go to 7500. First connect two 9500, do a test on check switch screen, then wait until the software loaded. After that plug in 7500 and press 'download'. It will take few seconds to load and few minutes to install. Done! Just be sure not to plug in 7500 before 9500s are done. If you do, then 9500 will freeze, then you restart it and it will go to recovery mode, 50/50 chance it will recover or will become a brick.
I had Bell install 2 9500's and 2 7500's today. The two 9500's are not talking to each other and Bell tells me there is no way of doing this. Looking at your posts, it seems you have 2 9500 linked and are able to share recordings between them. How would one go about setting this up?

181 - 197 of 197 Posts