Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum (first post) and am hoping someone can assist with a problem I am having completing the addition of a new Bell PVR 9242 to my setup.

Previously I was running 2 4700’s and 1 2100 fed by a single dish with a dual LNB.

I purchased a 9242 with the upgrade dish including a SW44. During the installation:
- disconnected both 4700's
- replaced the existing dish with the new dish with 2 dual LNBs
- connected 82 dual LNB feed cables to SAT 1a & SAT 1b on the SW44
- connected 91 dual LNB feed cables to SAT 2a & SAT 2b on the SW44
- connected Output 1 and Output 2 on the SW44 to Input 1 (with power injector inline) and Input 2 on the 9242
- Connected SW44 Output 3 to Sat in on the 2100 (both 4700's are disconnected)

During the setup on the 9242 I encountered issues which seemed to be described elsewhere in this forum and proceeded to start the troubleshooting steps outlined:
1. Powered off 9242, SW44 power injector and the 2100 (4700s disconnected)
2. Disconnected all LNB to SW44 leads and verified all were orginally correctly connected (LNB 82 to 1a & b….LNB 92 to Sat 2a & b)
3. Connected one of the 91 LNB leads directly to the 2100 (SW44 bypassed) but could NOT get any signal for either SAT 91 or 82.
4. Connected the second 91 LNB lead directly to the 2100 (SW44 bypassed) but could NOT get any signal for either SAT 91 or 82.
5. Connected one of the 82 LNB leads directly to the 2100 (SW44 bypassed) and got 93 % signal strength for SAT 91 (o % signal strength for Sat 82)
6. Connected the other 82 LNB lead directly to the 2100 (SW44 bypassed) and got 93 % signal for SAT 91 (o %signal strength for SAT 82)
7. Skew appears set to spec for the Newmarket (midpoint between Barrie and Toronto).
8. Verified LNB 82 is on the left of the pair of the LNBs when facing the dish (i.e. my back is to the sky)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated !

Thanks,

John

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
You are aiming a bit too far to the right, thats why you are getting 91 signal, on the 82 LNB. Turn it back to the left a bit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I hate tv is correct. Turn a bit to the left facing the back of the dish. Have only the 92 LNB connected and lock in on that, and with this set, all should fall into place after that. I would test the 82 side once you have done the above to confirm everything before you drop the SW44 back into the equation.

(Of course, unplug the reciever anytime you are changing cables).
Your basic connections look to be correct though..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate tv is correct. Turn a bit to the left facing the back of the dish. Have only the 92 LNB connected and lock in on that, and with this set, all should fall into place after that. I would test the 82 side once you have done the above to confirm everything before you drop the SW44 back into the equation.

(Of course, unplug the reciever anytime you are changing cables).
Your basic connections look to be correct though..
DC 17 & I Hate YV

Thank you for the quick resposne... I am trying to captialize on the warms temps this weekend. Much better than last Sunday (froze and nearly blew off the ladder with the dish in my hand....)

Just to clarify - when you say to the left when facing the back of the dish - with my back to the sky and facing the dish I should turn it a bit to the right ?.

John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I Hate TV

I think the mast is quite verticl and plumb. I guess was lucky when I first put it up...locked in a 93 % signal strength in about 30 minutes. This time it has been ....longer. ALthough I did get the same signal strength quite quickly. Too bad it was for the wrong LNB. Am heading out now to try it and will reprot back - thanks for the "pointers".

John

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
I Hate TV

I think the mast is quite verticl and plumb.
I would take a level out, and just check, because if it is off level, even by a fraction, you will not be able to get both satellites, with the elevation/skew settings for your area. I made this mistake, once, of just leveling it by eye, and spent the whole day trying to aim it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I Hate TV and DC17

SUCESS !! You were right on.....the dish was aimed too far to the left (my back to the sky and facing the dish). It really was too simple - I loosened the pinch bolts, rotated the dish approximately 3/8 of an inch (ok so I grew up imperial ....) to the right and got a 95 % signal on SAT 91 with that LNB connected directly to the 2100 receiver. I retightened the pinch bolts and connected the Sat 82 LNB and got a 96 % !!.

I reconnecetd the SW44 etc. and redid a Check Switch Test on th PVR 9242 without any satellite cables connected to force it to clear its memory. The SAT 1 and 2 cables from the SW44 were reconnecetd, Switch test redone and sucess - everything was "green" and I am up and operational.

This all could have bee avoided if the Bell instructions for SW44 suggested doing an initial connection without the SW44 the way I ended up doing during the trouble shooting.

In any event I am operational....this is a terrifc web site !

Thanks again guys !

John

·
Registered
1 Posts
acquiring 91 threw 82 lmb

I am getting 91 threw my 82 lmb tried moving it around to aquire both but no luck any suggestions?a

·
Super Moderator
56,397 Posts
Earlier posts in this thread discuss exactly what you need to do - dish is currently aimed too far "right".

There are also sticky threads at the top of this forum discussing proper installation/aiming. Make sure the mast is plumb.

I deleted your other duplicate post which is not allowed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts