Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious on how you can manually change what tv your show will record on. For instance, im looking ahead at some recordings, and it says it will record on "TV-1" , before it comes on, can i change it to record on "TV-2" before it comes on?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
It is saying it will record on Tuner #1.

That is most likely because Tuner #2 is already recording, so it switch's to #1, so you do not miss a show.

Most timer conflicts are due to the early start of 1 minute or the late finish of 3 minutes. If you go into the offending timers you can modify them to end on time and to start on time and the conflict will go away.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, it worked! Thanks..... Even if there was no conflicts, can you still change it last minute if you wanted to?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If there are no conflicts the default should be Tuner 2 anyway.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok...I get it. So, if something was recording in the bedroom ( tv-2) and we wanted to watch a show in the bedroom ( and nothing was recording on TV-1 ) we would be stuck watching what was being recorded or a previous recorded program?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
No.

Nothing is being recorded on TV2, it is being recorded on Tuner #2.

If Tuner 2 is recording and you want to watch a live show on either (NOT both) TV's you can.

If Tuner 1 is recording and you want to watch a live show on either (NOT both) TV's you can.

If BOTH Tuners are recording you can watch a pre-recorded show on either or both TV's.

And just to add to the confusion, if you have an Antenna connected and receiving OTA HD, you could still watch a live OTA HD feed, while recording on BOTH Tuners.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ok...I get it. So, if something was recording in the bedroom ( tv-2) and we wanted to watch a show in the bedroom ( and nothing was recording on TV-1 ) we would be stuck watching what was being recorded or a previous recorded program?
Here is a trick I use - if I want to watch something on TV2, but it's recording something, I set up a manual timer starting 1 or 2 minutes later, on the channel I want to watch. It will then start up on tuner 1 which I then can watch. Avoids having to go to the main receiver and put it into single mode.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Nothing is being recorded on TV2, it is being recorded on Tuner #2.

If Tuner 2 is recording and you want to watch a live show on either (NOT both) TV's you can.

If Tuner 1 is recording and you want to watch a live show on either (NOT both) TV's you can.
No that's not the way it works in reality. I agree the TV tuner and TV outputs are two separate things. But generally the tuner is mapped to the TV output.

Just give it a test: hit record while watching something and pick the "TV#" you're on and then try to change channels. It asks you if you want to stop the recording to do that.

Now the way to get around this and effectively "move" the recording to the other tuner/TV is:

1) Switch into "single mode"
2) Use PIP and do a "swap"
3) Switch back to "dual mode"

·
Registered
63 Posts
No that's not the way it works in reality. I agree the TV tuner and TV outputs are two separate things. But generally the tuner is mapped to the TV output.

Just give it a test: hit record while watching something and pick the "TV#" you're on and then try to change channels. It asks you if you want to stop the recording to do that.

Now the way to get around this and effectively "move" the recording to the other tuner/TV is:

1) Switch into "single mode"
2) Use PIP and do a "swap"
3) Switch back to "dual mode"
Of course you can only do the MODE switch on the front panel of the PVR so If you are not in the same room it's a bit of a pain.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Leeboy....Ok...I get it. So, if something was recording in the bedroom ( tv-2) and we wanted to watch a show in the bedroom ( and nothing was recording on TV-1 ) we would be stuck watching what was being recorded or a previous recorded program?
There is a way to watch TV1 as well on your bedroom TV, if your bedroom TV is connected by RF coax and you program the RF channel for TV1 say 73, and TV2 at 75. Then you can just change the channel on the bedroom TV to see the TV1. I am able to view 5 of my 6 receivers from any TV in the house using this method.
This is the benefit of the 9242 with their user selectable modulator channels.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have encounter a different problem and I was wondering if you would be able to help. I have 2 9200s (living room and basement). No problem in the living room however in the basement I can't seems to swap (or switch btetween modes) . If I tape 2 programs upstairs, I can't watch anything in the basement (I get an error signal lost). My connection is pretty straight forward. 4 cables to SW44 and then 2 cables upstairs and 2 cables downstairs. Not sure if it makes difference in waht order the cables that come out of the dish are plug in the SW44 and what order they should be connected out of SW44 to 2 receivers. Any help would be great

·
Registered
23 Posts
not at all. the only important thing is that your power supply is always on line 1 going to the switch. the other 3 cables could be in any order without importance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
what i dont quite understand is why your 9200 upstairs is connected with the 9200 downstairs? if your lines are all independant going to the switch you should be fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
they are not .... one upstairs and one downstairs are connected seperatelly for the dish -2 lines going upstairs and 2 lines downstairs , but I just can't seems to det dual mode working on the one downstairs

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I know it is a silly question but you are pressing the button behind the front right hand door.?

There is no other way to switch so apart from a reset, if that button does not work, it is a mystery.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i tried everything, pressing button, resetting but the weird part is when I ran the check switch i get message that ird detected fewer signals which I just don't understand since both 89 and 91 have a strong signal

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Did you Save after the Check Switch.? or after it said you had less Satelittes.?

TV2 default is Channel 60 Air I believe.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Well if you have reception on 82 & 92 on Odds & Evens, you need to save.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts