Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell 9241 loud static pops on channel change using Optical out

10K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  CentaurChester 
#1 ·
Hi there,

well as can be read from the title, i am experience loud static pops whenever i change the channel, or pause live tv and then again when restarting playback

I have an HDMI cable connected to an lcd tv and the audio is perfect.

I also have component cables to a dlp tv to watch simultaneously and had rca cables (red and white) for the audio and everything was perfect.

when i got fancy and tried connecting an optical out cable to my speaker system for surrond sound, which works great, however i get loud static pops when changing channels or pausing/resuming live tv.

it is very annoying and only happens with the optical out.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

#2 ·
This has been discussed a number of times. It's usually when you change from a DD2.0 to a DD5.1 channel on an (inexpensive) HTiB or AVR and the only workaround if that's the case is to use the analogue connection and not get DD5.1, or to upgrade the HTiB or AVR. This is often because the (less expensive) HTiBs and AVRs don't have the "delay/pause" built into them to prevent this sort of behaviour.

What's the make/model of the HTiB/AVR?

#5 ·
Probably PCM only which disables DD5.1.

I also have the same issue, shoudln't be the receiver because this is the only box I have had issues with. I've had Shaw Moto 3080, 3416, 3400-M, Rogers 8300HD and none of them have had this popping issue.

I don't believe it's hardware either because when I had my Dish Network VIP622 hooked up to my receiver NO popping when switching DD2.0/DD5.1 (same audio settings).

#6 ·
Just as an FYI, I have seen this on a number of inexpensive HTiB systems connected to Rogers and Bell STBs (can't remember if it was with STBs or PVRs or both). Mostly this was on optimizations I did a few years ago and I haven't encountered it since. Perhaps the newer STBs or HTiBs resolved these sorts of issues.)

#7 ·
I currently have an Mcintosh MX150 with a 9242 and was very close in getting the 9241 just to resolve this static popping issue until i saw this thread. Cant believe it also exists on this newer receiver.

Previously from my MX150 i had a Rotel Receiver and that did not cause an issue. Apparently it may be the way the receiver does not conform with any standards? Bell has no return policy on the receivers, so i don't want to risk getting a new one if the issue still exists.

So if i change the Dolby output to "PCM" does it resolve the issue on the 9241?

#8 ·
Update on 9242

I changed the Dolby Setup to output to PCM only, however apparently this is limited to 2 channel output only. It does not output in multichannel! :rolleyes:

So it's either I set it for the processor to decode the dolby signal but am risking getting these annoying and loud popping noises or stick with stereo PCM!!!

#11 ·
Update 2 - replaced 9242

Well, just to keeping awareness on this issue, I ended up folding in and paying for a replacement 9242 PVR.

I am happy to say that HDMI audio out is now working whereas it wasn't before. So definitely an issue with my older receiver HOWEVER.....

...the audio popping STILL exists via HDMI audio!!! The audio popping when going from a PCM Stereo channel ( I use any of the Galaxy audio channels e.g 916) to a Dolby 5.1 channel will cause a pretty loud static pop. So unless i got another defective 9242, the audio pop occurs on both Optical or HDMI output.

Can anyone that has a 9242 connected via HDMI please confirm by going to channel 916 and then going to 800 if you also get this static pop??

Thanks guys.

#13 ·
I just signed up for Telus Sat using 9241?. I can't believe how much better the DD 5.1 Optical outs is with Bell/Telus PVR box.. With optik it was or seemed way too compressed. Most HD channels DD was poor at best.. It's so much richer/deeper sound now, With most channels, not all.

I've had no issues, No pops, heck my old Yamaha HTR-5250. it actually switching properly now with 9241 now. It's actually doing the " Click " now with 2-3 sec delay before DD 5.1 is engaged. It wasn't doing that any HD channels with crappy Telus Optik.

Seems like Sat has better sound channels.. and I am just using Optical out.. Just set to Dolby Digital/PCM - RF mode.

I assume you try different HDMI cables and/or Optical cables?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.