Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bell 9200 hd pvr. I just baught a 3d tv. I did some research and only bell receivers with mpeg 4 are capable on recieving 3d programing. Is there a way to upgrade my receiver from mpeg 2 to mpeg 4 ? I really don't want to pay $600 for a new pvr just to get 3d programing. Is there anything I can do?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Call up Bell TV and say you want to cancel because you want 3D but cannot afford a new PVR. They might make an offer. Keep in mind that a 9241, the current model, is missing some other features, like TV2 out. OTOH, if you can afford a 3D HDTV...

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I too have a 9200 and it is fully capable of receiving 3D TV Channels, it is just that Bell choose not to allow it.

I still have a recording of the Masters Golf, in 3D on my PVR and if I had a 3D TV I would be able to watch it.

Subscribe to Dish Care and wait a couple of months, you might be surprised to see that Bell will replace defective 9200's with 9242's......

·
Registered
547 Posts
Subscribe to Dish Care and wait a couple of months, you might be surprised to see that Bell will replace defective 9200's with 9242's......
I've already tried this card and, so far, it hasn't worked.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yes, this is hit and miss. They tell you that they will try to replace with a 9200 first... but if none are available then they will provide 9242.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Things might just change early in the new year. Hint hint.....

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Did you complain to MS when Windows 98 came out? Did you ask Pioneer to take back your Pro Logic AVR for a 5.1 system? How about when cars started to be equipped with air bags? Trade in the two stroke lawn mower for a four stroke, no charge? Technology improves. Buy a new receiver, and enjoy the benefits. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The problem is that 9242 receivers cannot be purchased from Bell. The 9241 is a downgrade and Bell is taking it's time providing a suitable replacement for the 9200 and 9242.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Having owned a 9200, and currently having a 9241 and a 9242 (among others), I do agree that the 9241 isn't a great option if you are using the TV2 option on the 9200. However, if you want 3D, and eventually (hopefully?) MPEG4, it is the choice to make. Actually, the other choice could be a couple of 6131s and two EHDs... and that might just work out cheaper than a 9241. There are options to consider. I'm glad I grabbed a 9242 when I could.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So your saying the 9200 is capable of receiving 3d??? Pinza claims to have 3d programing on his pvr. Did the recievers get a upgrade to mpeg4 via software upgrade or is this a hardware issue? If it is a hardware issue is there a easy way to change out a component or should I just cross my figers and hope bell upgrades my pvr?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Bell will most likely upgrade the 9200, eventually. That could still be a few years out. I think Pinza is saying that the 9200 is 3D capable but Bell is not making their 3D channel available to 9200 owners. That is most likely because the new 1080p and 3D channels are in MPEG4, which the 9200 cannot receive. The 9200 will provide 3D when 3D content is broadcast on current MPEG2 channels.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Do we actually know that the 3D stuff is MPEG4, I doubt that it is. My understanding was that an entire Transponder needs to be converted to MPEG4, it cannot do both MPEG2 & 4.

Yes, the 9200 is capable of 3D, I think that bell just found a way to force people with 3D TV's into upgrading to a 9241/9242 to make the most of their new 3DTV.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
IIRC, the 1080p VOD channels are MPEG4 so it makes sense that the 3D channel is as well. Are they on the same TP?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Are we even sure the 1080p stuff is MPEG4?

I have no way of knowing, or testing, that I can think of.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It was mentioned in another thread. I assumed the source was good. It was stated that the VOD channels are MPEG4 1080p.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Maybe you can buy a 6131/6141, which I think are capable of mpeg-4. Use your 9200 with your second tv.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
pinza is correct in saying that he was able to watch/record a 3D program on the 9200 and that Bell did offer the Masters in 3D this past spring. However the method used was to provide two side by side half resolution images which when put together produce a 1080i picture of sorts. Putting these images together does not involve the active shutter glasses that is now the expensive defacto standard for Home 3D. I'm not sure who produced the actual program from Augusta but at the time it was stated in several articles in the media that the 3D should not be confused with the kind of 3D BD and/or broadcasters would be offering in the future. It was basically a short term expedinet until better methods were available.

jayoldschool, yes technology is always improving but what do you do when it doesn't? The 9200 had a number of capabilities that made it head and shoulders over all other PVRs in Canada (two TV tuners & outputs, recording capacity, picture-in-picture feature, OTA tuner). The 9242 (now discontinued offically at least) kept most of that and added MPEG4. So far so good but now along comes the crippled 9241. I think Bell's customer's have every right to squawk when technology is taken away simply to make more bucks for Ma Bell.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The tech wasn't "taken away to make more bucks". The tech was discontinued by the supplier, and Bell, as a reseller, has no choice to sell what is available to them.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
That might have been the case with the Receiver but it was surely Bell TV that decided NOT to include HDMI cables in ANY HD Receivers and therefore it was Bell TV that saved lots of money for that decision.

To save a few more cents they even took the short RG59 jumper out of all SD Receiver box's.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts