Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some assistance to troubleshoot an issue that I am having and have had no luck with both the 9200 manual and SC 25 manual to figure this out. I have the TV2 out coax cable going from the 9200 to my SC 25 coxial in which is in the basement. The SC 25 outputs video via HDMI to a ceiling mounted projector. I am not able to get any picture using this setup.

I pulled out the coaxial cable and plugged it in to an old TV just to make sure that the signal is coming through it and I tuned the old test TV to channel 74 and set up the 9200's modular setup screen to use channel 74 - and the signal shows up fine on the old TV.

I guess the issue is that there is no way (that I know if anyway) to "tune" the Pioneer SC 25 AV receiver to "channel 74" in order to sync up to the 9200 and receive the signal.

Can someone help me out here please? Is there a way to send my TV2 out signal on my Bell 9200 to an AVR as coax input and then output video via HDMI and audio using the AVR speaker outs? Hope that I described the scenario clearly enough.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I guess the issue is that there is no way (that I know if anyway) to "tune" the Pioneer SC 25 AV receiver to "channel 74" in order to sync up to the 9200 and receive the signal.
What Channel can the SC 25 accept.? Would it not be possible to change the 9200 to output on that channel.?

EDIT:

I just looked at the Specs and I cannot see any Coax Input for Video/Audio on the Pioneer.

A suggestion is to run 2 more Coax lines and use TV2 Outs Composite Connections.
Or possibly use a Modulator at the Pioneer to convert back from Coax to Composite for connecting to the Pioneer, if you are unable to run extra lines.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
the pioneer AVR is NOT a TV tuner.

If I wanted to use the TV2 output to the AVR, I would use the Composite VIDEO (yellow RCA) and Analog Audio (red/white RCA's) from the 9200 TV2 output.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great, informative feedback guys.

I will try to see if I can fish a looooong RCA cable from my 9200 to my AVR in the basement. If not, the modulator idea sounds neat. I will have to see if Pioneer offers anything like it compatible with the SC25.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update... I used my old RCA VCR that was collecting dust in the basement as a modulator and fed the COAX ANT IN, in to it and went out of it with RCA in to my SC25. Picture quality isn't great but at least I can get satellite on my screen now!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Glad you have something showing up now on the screen. Not sure what Channel you have the 9200 outputting on but I know from past experience that using Ch#3 in some areas is very poor as there are Off Air transmissions on that Channel. Just going to Ch#4 helps a little.

If you get a chance try going to a higher Ch# see if that helps your output.

Also, the output of the Coax is quite high, when compared to the normal Inputs the VCR is expecting, a small 7dB Attenuator might also help a little, as the signal levels hitting the VCR could be a bit too high. If you do not have an attenuator, try a 2 Way Coax splitter, they loose 3.5dB or a 3 Way will loose 7dB on at least 1 port.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the modulation channel set to 69 on the 9200... I don't think you can set it to a lower channel (e.g. single digits) on the 9200 can you? In any case that is as high as my VCR will go to accept it so I set it at that and no higher.

I will try the splitter and see if it improves picture quality any but since the TV2 out on the 9200 can only display in SD quality I did not have high expectations. Add the fact that my TV2 is actually a projector with a 100" screen - so I am not surprised by the slightly degraded appearance. But I will try the RF splitter and let you know.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Funny how almost all 9200's I see have TV2 set to Channel 69.....lol Must be an easy number to remember, or something.....lol

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The 9200 RF out can be set to a wide range of UHF or cable channels, IIRC 21 to 69. When setting it up, make sure that both the 9200 and the TV are set to the same band, UHF or cable. Mismatched band settings will make channels appear outside that range (or not appear at all.) IIRC, the default is UHF 60. My experience is that channels in the UHF 30's tend to be slightly clearer but that will vary with cabling and equipment.

I used my old RCA VCR that was collecting dust in the basement as a modulator
Technically, the VCR is being used as a demodulator. Any TV tuner will accomplish this. The RF output from the 9200 is quite good and is in stereo so you should be getting good picture and sound quality. It won't be HD but should be watchable.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Scary, he is feeding the coax RF into the VCR then out to a Receiver, to view TV2 on a Projector. There is no TV Tuner involved here, just the VCR Tuner.

I think you could be correct about down in the 30's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, the output of the Coax is quite high, when compared to the normal Inputs the VCR is expecting, a small 7dB Attenuator might also help a little, as the signal levels hitting the VCR could be a bit too high. If you do not have an attenuator, try a 2 Way Coax splitter, they loose 3.5dB or a 3 Way will loose 7dB on at least 1 port.
Pinza, I finally got around to putting a 2-way splitter on the output from the 9200 and the picture quality on my big screen downstairs is the same... if not maybe even a bit worse... it is hard to tell... but certainly not better. Would a 3-way splitter be any better or can I expect the same results?

Any way to make the video quality for the 9200 TV2 output going in to a VCR and then out to the SC25 receiver any better? I should also mention that since it is just RCA I find that the audio quality is pretty basic too... missing a lot of "body" especially on the music stations.

Is my only option to get better video and sound downstairs to bite the bullet and let Bell sell me another receiver?

·
Registered
14 Posts
My choices are limited because my 9200 is upstairs and my other HT system is downstairs in the basement with only a coax cable running in between the floors.

What are my other options to get HD connection/digital audio from the TV2 out on the 9200 to my basement HT setup?

Isn't the TV2 out on the 9200 the root of the poor performance though?

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Yes, the TV2 out is the source of your problem. If you can stand watching the same programme on both TVs, then you could get an HDMI splitter feeding both TVs and use the PVR in "single" mode.

For audio, you could either use the HDMI through an AVR that handles HDMI audio, or separate digital audio connections.

For a separate STB you can also use DPP technology, discussed in this forum, to utilize a single coax from the Dish to the STB...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts