Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

381 - 400 of 441 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
C141 capacitors

I have two 6400 receivers. The first one gave me problems about a year ago, which led to me buying the 2nd receiver. In the past week the 2nd receiver starting giving the same satellite reception issues when switching channels. I stumbled across this forum last night and realized I am among many having the same issues with the 6400.

Thanks to the earlier posts I spent $0.75 per capacitor today to replace C141 in each receiver and both are working perfectly. It only took about 10 minutes per receiver. THANKS!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you Padd156 for saving my Bell 6400

Read this thread and came across Padd156's fix for the defective/insufficient strength capacitors causing them to bulge. I have all the same symptoms everyone has had and decided to have a look at mine. I have a metal case which means version G1. Upon opening I found both mentioned capacitors that were bulged.

I drove to town to an electronic store for the recommended parts at 0.99c a piece, unfortunately there were out of stock. My only option was to either replace with same as originals or get 1000uf/25v 85Deg. I opted for the 1000uf/25v 85Deg and was amazed they were only 0.49c a piece. Figured at that price I have nothing to lose if they don't last long or don't fix my problem.

Got home, plugged in my soldering equipment, cut out the bulging caps and soldered in the new ones.

Plugged in the Bell 6400,booted up, found the satellites. It finally detects HD and regular signals and locked-in. It ran it's transponder tests etc. Then BAM...downloaded the guide and "voila". Finally can view my channels INCLUDING HD finally.

My second test was to see if it still would boot correctly after shutting it down. Press the shut off button, repressed the power button, worked like a charm.

Last time I shut it down, it wanted to download the new software...something I never seen before. Every time I called Bell for problems with connecting satellites etc.., they always ended up telling me they had to force my receiver to download the updates.

I'll keep you guys posted if I see any changes or degradation since my caps are 85Deg. and not same as the recommended 105Deg.

Once again...a great big thanks to Padd156 for posting his findings, this man saved my Receiver from being dumped in the garbage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
OK Techies, is this a capacitor or receiver problem?

Here's the scenario, I have a pair of 6400s, replaced the 2 caps recommended and they both work great by themselves. I also have 2 identical 500G EHD from my older 6131 with lots of programming I don't want to lose. I have connected these drives to the 6400s and one works perfect, the other freezes on playback, jittery and unwatchable. I have swapped drives and confirmed it is the receiver causing the problem. Both drives work great on the other receiver. So, assuming it's not the drive, has anyone else had this issue and what was the resolution? I'm guessing it's going to be another bad cap but which one(s)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
You guys are Awesome!!

Same issue, I was sceptical at 1st, but reading through the thread became more confident. I took apart an old 2700 receiver figuring there must be a capacitor similar found a 1000uF 10v closest I could find. I don't know much about electronics but figured it was between the stock one and the one you mentioned you replaced it with. gave it a shot and Bam!! loaded up everything, menu on, I was scared to hit HD channels because that was always when it would go out... went to HD, hooray!! got HD, back to regular and still channels. Thanks to smart people like you guys, us others have support 1000 fold over support Bell, etc could ever offer. Thank you so very much for taking the time to post this information...

DC

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have two 6400's with the same identified problem with the filter capacitor failing. Replaced the capacitor in both receivers. They are now working fine. Obviously this is a defect with this model of receiver. Would be interesting to know how many receivers have been trashed because of a defective 50 cent capacitor. Too bad Bell won't fess up and make things right for their customers by replacing all these models at no charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After much investigation and testing on one of my "dead" 6400s I found a bad capacitor near the back of the board C141 replaced it with new one and now back to regular programming
Found the same fault on my other box too and it is now working fine, looks like it is a hardware problem after all
On my 2 6400 receivers which both have same issues stated above I see C64 and C141 capacitors bent upwards which obviously needs replacing. Definitely a hardware issue which Bell is aware of. Bell should 'Step-up-to-the-Plate' and admit these capacitors are inferior and provide their customers with some relief rather than just simply paying outright for new receivers which is unacceptable! These outsourced components do not stand the test of time and should be replaced by Bell (ie. a new motherboard) at their cost or a credit to your monthly bill. I will be following up with Bell with a complaint letter and pushing this further up the chain as a result.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had a C141 which was vented. So I replaced both caps (with 820mf 25v), and it still doesn't work. Thanks Bell!

Can anyone confirm if the G2 still has bad caps? On this thread, one says it does, and someone else says it doesn't.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 6400 has been acting up since early last fall. At first it would freeze then flash the video on and off about three times and come back on and be fine for some time. Then it began randomly losing the satellite signal and a reboot would get it connected again! Then changing from SD to HD would cause signal loss and the loss of signal error with the transponders not progressing at all. A reboot would fix it for a time.

Back in Dec it began doing the green pix thing and I thought the EH D might be failing as it is quite old so I set up another one I had laying around and that fixed it until about a week and a half ago when it pixilated green and completely froze while recording. I did the reboot procedure and it would no longer run the check switch successfully or find ether satellite!

Lifted the lid and sure enough C141 was bulged. I ordered enough 1000uF 16V 105deg Capacitors to do both of the 6400 machines in the house and proceeded to take this one apart. C141 was unsoldered and tested on my analog meter. It started charging at 1 and the needle would not drop below 3 on the meter set at RX 10K setting. Testing one of the new ones showed a start at 0 and a slow fall to infinity. I got a spark when I drained the new one after testing by crossing the leads with a screwdriver and nothing when I did the same crossing to drain the original. So the original cap was probably draining that circuit of all its voltage and current flow.

Soldered in the new one I tested and set the machine up just enough to test. It ran the 38 switch tests and went to the satellite signal screen and I have never seen this machine run through the transponder test this fast!

It downloaded the guide and went right to the HD channel it was recording on when it froze.

This machine has never been as stable as it is now. It now has very little lag between Chanel switches even between SD and HD and back and the picture on both SD and HD has never been this good.

I shut down and finished reassembling and plugged everything back in, including the hard drive and restarted.

The satellites were reaquried and the hard drive recognized and the machine restarted to download the longer guide.

The Machine has been on the factory defaults including the inactivity shut down and software check at 3AM with no problem since.

I did not replace C56 as it was not bulged but if and when it goes I will know where to look.

Thank you Padd156 for your post

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great thread and fix for 6400

Just performed the fix for C64 and C141. Used 25 V caps from Sayal Electronics (several stores around GTA) their no. 232788. About $1.75 for pack of two. They also have the 6.3 V version no. 217131. Specs are 105 degrees C. I used the soldering on top of board as detailed. Takes all of 5 minutes. One suggestion. Make sure you ground yourself before attempting. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Just performed the fix for C64 and C141. Used 25 V caps from Sayal Electronics (several stores around GTA) their no. 232788. About $1.75 for pack of two. They also have the 6.3 V version no. 217131. Specs are 105 degrees C. I used the soldering on top of board as detailed. Takes all of 5 minutes. One suggestion. Make sure you ground yourself before attempting. Thanks everyone.
And... what was the result? Did the caps fix your problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
loss of signal

I have a 6100 hd receiver and 82 signal is in but 91 is out no signal what could be the problem. anybody know please let me know

·
Registered
1 Posts
So thankful I found this post as I had one 6400 ird that was pooched and one that was very intermittent and getting worse. I had an old unworking 6131 ird that I took two capacitors off and replaced C141 on both units. Hooray, ird seems to be working fine now. Of course the bell technical assistance rep seemed to have no knowledge of this fix and wanted to send a tech out or have me buy a new ird. Thanks to all the guys here who posted the fix

Cheers

·
Registered
84 Posts
Tried to research this but couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use both the composite and HDMI ports on the 6400 receiver at the same time?

I am currently using the HDMI port for my main HDTV, I was thinking of buying a wireless a/v transmitter to send the signal to a TV in my basement. That TV won't be used as much so it's not as important that I have HD. So I was thinking of just getting a transmitter that only does SD Composite, not HDMI. Since the SD one is a lot cheaper.

This would require me wanting to be able to use both the HDMI and composite ports at the back at the same time though. Anyone done anything like this before?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yes, all outputs on all Bell TV Receivers are active at the same time.

If you can run a piece of Coax I would suggest a cheap Ch3/4 Modulator to send the signals.

In the past I have used a product by Brite View to send HD wirelessly to a distant TV, sends 1080p too and if I recall it was not that expensive. Couple this with an HDMI splitter and you could enjoy HD on your second TV.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Another 6400 success story. I did a No Signal service call. Customer not getting HD channels. Several Check Switch tests would not give the 82 satellite. I plugged in my Bell receiver and the signal is working fine. Took the cover off the customer's 6400 and the top of the C141 Cap was blown off. Crap leaked all over. I told the customer that the box might be cooked, but I could try and replace the Cap.

Took it home, cleaned off the board, replaced the Cap with a new, larger, 25V. version, and the receiver is working awesome.

I don't normally do repairs, but I just had to try it. Too easy. I will do this again if I come across the situation.

The only issue was trying to find a place near my home that sells Caps. Too many young employees at the stores asked, "what's a Capacitor?".

Sad. This is the result of a throwaway society...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trouble with used 6400 configuration "fewer Sats detected"

Hi, I bought a used 6400. I called Bell and activated it. However, it only makes it to the downloading guide screen, the download does not work. The signal input for 91 changes from not locked zero to locked 100. 82 does the same thing, although around 55 to 62 when it locks. Most of the time they both say not locked zero. I ran a check switch, it gives a warning saying fewer satellites were detected than before and if I save the new configuration I will lose channels. It shows 3 ports, 91, 82, and another one. But I only have SW21 with 91 and 82. I have no experience with 3 ports. My other 3100 receiver works fine. The two SW21 switches outside are pretty new, as the old ones had gone defective a few months ago. Both were tested on my 3100 and worked fine. I tried this 6400 on both switches as well, no change.

Should I save the new configuration? Maybe the other person had 3 ports on their dish?

Multiple check switches, restarts, etc haven't worked. I ran a check switch with no sat input cable in the receiver, then connected the input cable and ran a check switch again. Still not working.

I Would appreciate any ideas.

·
Registered
819 Posts
You need to run the Check Switch with no cables on the rear, when it fails, save the result. Ignore the message about Fewer Sats. Then connect the line from the SW21, run it again, save again.

Watch TV.

It sounds very much like it was running on a system with DP/DPP LNBF's so the 6400 is sending out the wrong voltages to the SW21's it needs to know what switch's it is connected to before it will work correctly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ran a check switch with no input in the back and saved the result. Then I ran a new check with the input connected. But at the end it did not offer a save option. It shows SW21 with a green under 91 and red under 82, reception error. A couple of times when I restarted it would say a problem has been detected with your switch and it ran a check on its own. It is unable to resolve it. Certain HD channels like CBC News Network, Space, Discovery are not working, showing an error for 82. Probably many more like that. Some work and some don't. I what you had suggested a second time with the check switches and still the same result.

381 - 400 of 441 Posts