Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am experiencing issue over the last week where programs that are in the schedule are not recoded. As an example I have it set to record Letterman at 2:34 and Craig Ferguson every night(daily) at 3:37. It is not new timers and has been working fine for months. All of the sudden this week it decided not record Ferguson but recoded Letterman OK.
To repair it I needed to delete the timer and enter it again. I had to do this with over half my timers. When I checked the timer it had no items waiting to record even though the program was listed in the guide at the proper time. Before reseting them all, I did the reset from the front buttons and pulled the plug to reset.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Is there a timer marker on the program listing in the guide? I remember from my 5900 days the unintuitive nature of the dialogue boxes creating the timer. If the software has changed since I used a 5900 you may not be experiencing the problem I had in creating a timer. At that time, there was no "save" button and when I set the timer I pressed "create" and a blank screen appeared under the timer list. I took me a while to realize that the timer was created when I pressed "cancel". Strange. It may be better now.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No marker. That is the thing. The PVR timer would say the proper day(s) and times and program name but it would not register it in the guide or as a timer. If I click the event in the guide it will add it and everything fine. There are two entries with the same info but one of them is empty. I delete the empty one and leave the new one I created.

·
Registered
971 Posts
If I follow what you're saying, the timer appears "marked" in the guide but not in the timer list. I know I had this problem before but I can't remember how I solved it!:confused: You could have another read in the manual (particularly "troubleshooting") but even the chapter on timers might provide a clue. if you don't have a copy of the manual, you can download one from Bell's web site. Since you have already done a power reset I can't think of anything other than to give Bell a call if none of the other tips don't work. One other thought just occurred to me: look in the 5900 menu and select "Timers" to see if there is anything there helpful. You'll probably end up in the timer menu anyway. It's been a long time since I used a 5900 receiver and found them to be pretty good.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NO opposite is true Timer is in the timer list and has been working fine. For no apparent reason it stops appearing in the guide or recording the program.
I have deleted all the affected timers and re-entered them to get them working agin.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5900 timers not recording

I am having random issues with timers not recording. For example tonight, I have a timer set for every week to record 'the Pacific". Tonight it did not start. Lucky I was watching at the time and started it manually. I checked the schedule and the timer is there for pacific every week Sunday 9:00-10:00. Check my other timers and found that tonight show does not show any events for next week to record. Create a new timer for same event same info and it fills all of next weeks tonight shows to record. There are several other of my 17 timers that are still blank for next week. Not even the info with red x for the wrong program to not record.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had this problem on my 5900 quite a while ago, if you leave your receiver on all the time (which isn't a good idea in itself) sometimes the EPG will not be downloaded into the future and can end up with missed recordings. If the receiver is on all the time pick a couple of points each week where you can turn it off. the other way is to force the download by jumping ahead in the EPG and it will download the latest schedules.

hope that helps

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I think that could be the issue. Even though the guide appears to be populated I have since found that leaving the unit off once in while cures the problem.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The receiver should be shut off every night to download the new Guide Data.

If you decide not to but want to populate the Guide manually, just pull out the Smart card, wait untill the screen shows the "System Info" screen, then re-insert the Card, it will scroll through the 5 checks then download the Guide for you.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The receiver should be shut off every night to download the new Guide Data.

If you decide not to but want to populate the Guide manually, just pull out the Smart card, wait untill the screen shows the "System Info" screen, then re-insert the Card, it will scroll through the 5 checks then download the Guide for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This morning our 1 5900 had same issue - nothing listed in the schedule - Receiver did some update lats night and now we have nothing. Have to re-do all timers. Got sick of the problems with the 5900's so went out and bought a 6131 and an external hard drive. So tonight I fire up my other 5900 - Same issue!! So must be some bug with a latest software patch or something Software version is E665.

·
Registered
147 Posts
5900 Timer: Red Dot No Conflict Why??

I just scheduled a one time timer at a time when there is no other program timer scheduled. I made sure to start the program a minute after the hour and end it a minute before the hour just to make sure there was no conflict. There is no previous timer scheduled before it and it ends a minute before the timer immediately after it. I have not scheduled another timer at this hour in the past so there could not be a ghostly lingering timer out there somewhere to conflict with it.

Yet, after several tries at redoing the timer, there is a big red dot in front of it, as though it conflicted with another timer. It does not conflict because there is no other timer ever on that day in that time slot.

I tried hitting the skip button just to see what would happen, and nothing changed.

Can anyone, please, explain how a red dot appears in this kind of situation. Thanks.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I get this quite often on the movie channels with messages like the recording already "exists in the PVR" or "duplicate" when neither is true. This can occur when flags or other codes in a program are incorrectly set.

Regardless of the cause, if there truly is no conflict you can usually override this by pressing Menu/Daily Schedule, then highlighting the offending recording. Then press Select and choose Restore.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Red Dot: Thanks for Your Response VuMax

I think you are right about coding. Some time after I posted, I went back to the events list and lo and behold there was no more red dot.

Next time it happens, I will use your suggestion to restore the event.

·
Registered
41 Posts
5900 Loosing channels & not rebooting correctly

NOt sure if these two issues are connected or not but I'll post them both here.
First:
About once per week or so the pvr will 'loose' the channels in the all subscribed list. Everything turns to red and I have to restart the receiver (either by power or pulling the card) to get the stb to re-download the program guide.
This is an inconvenience but not a huge problem.

Second:
I've just finished restarting my receiver because of problem #1 and it won't boot properly. It comes on, brings up the Attention - 015 satellite search screen. When it gets to progress 5/5 the screen goes blank and it restarts. The process repeats itself over and over again. I have pulled the plug, pulled the card to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

PS I'm posting here first since I don't feel like spending the next hour going through prewritten and irrelevant steps with my 10 hour away techie.

·
Registered
15 Posts
5900 PVR taped shows not found in "My Recordings"

Weird stuff is happening to my PVR. Yikes! A couple of days ago I deleted a couple of shows I watched and they would just reappear in the list. Today, half a dozen shows I taped do not show up in the list, but the remaining available recording hours has gone down which makes me think that they really are on the harddrive, but not in the list. Help! There is a Royal wedding SOON that needs to be recorded.

·
Registered
2 Posts
5900 head ache

I have a 5900 it worked fine and bell turned off my service had it reinstated
my problem now is it will not record or can not set program to change chanel when i set a show to come on.
It lets me stop a show and then continue to watch but thats it,i have tried to reboot did not work talked to bell and they want me to send in 15.00 shipping and 50.00 to fix?????
Does anyone have any ideas hd shot or what
thxs

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
What Bell are offering is a replacement receiver, they are not going to fix yours and then ship it back.

Can you watch live TV and change Channels as normal.?

Have you run a "Check Switch".?

·
Registered
2 Posts
headache

Hi yes i can watch live tv and stop it reverse and fast forward and yes i can
change channels. Sorry i do not know what you are saying of checking switch i have no idea how to do that.
I have tried the unplug and hold power button and pull smart card
Thanks for the reply

1 - 20 of 41 Posts