Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is may first post on here. We are Shaw dealer/installers and have been asked about do a 57 receiver install using Bell. Shaw is easy, not sure on Bell. Am I going to have to cascade a bunch of SW44 switches or is there a 4 x 16 switch out there somewhere? Any help would be great.

Thanks
Grant

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
There are no 4 x 16 switch's for Bell.

If all receivers require 82 & 92 signals the short answer is yes, you will have to use 15 x SW44's, or DPP44's.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The SW44a is required for cascading. The DP SW34/SW34a will also work. However, there is a limit as to how many switches can be cascaded and that is way before 57 receivers is reached. Another piece of equipment that may be useful is the 4 Way Amplified DishPro Splitter, (DP-1004). They could be used to feed 4 sets of 4 cascaded switches for a total of up to 64 receivers.

·
Registered
520 Posts
You WILL be better off getting a stacked signal solution, used in MDU buildings. It'll be a lot cleaner too with just 1 line ran anywhere and split.

Otherwise, you can just get 4x8 multiswitches to feed your SW44's. You can also feed other 4x8 switches.

DPP limits you to 3 DPP44 per dish.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Costa, it is impossible to buy a Stacked System, they can only be bought by Bell TV, so that option is out, which is why I did not mention it. Even if an Upconverter could be bought, he would then have to buy 57 Downconverters for use at each Tuner. The cost would be excessive.

I am also NOT aware of any 4 x 8 switch's that work and are approved by Bell TV, again, why I did not suggest this.

If these receivers are all in one location, for example a Rack, providing an Anologue Head End, the build is simple, 2, 4 way 3Ghz Splitters and 4, 16 Way Rack mounted Mutiswitch's.

It would be very clean and I could build it in a matter of an hour or so.

·
Registered
101 Posts
are you planning to just use one 20" bell dish with legacy lnb's for 91 and 82? or do you plan on using more than one dish for each sat location? or dish pro lnb's? or dish pro plus lnb's???

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
@ Costa, the SC2180 is a 3 x 8 switch, 1 OTA/Cable input and 2 Sat feeds, 13v & 18v, therefore it is for a single orbital slot only.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It's best to use two 24" dishes. That will provide stronger signals to help combat line losses and will result in fewer complaints about lost signals from rain fade.

Switches will work instead of splitters but the signal still needs to be amplified if split 4 ways. I believe the SW34a has a built in amp to maintain signal strength for cascading. The limit on number of cascaded switches may still be an issue. Not sure why it exists.

I've seen higher grade Bell equipment (stacked system???) for sale, probably on a US site. Don't remember where or when though.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Pinza, it's a 3x8 with a optional ac adapter input (so 4x8). Also; I'm well aware that he'll need one chain of multiswitches per signal, unless he doesnt need hd.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The 4 x 8 he was asking about takes 4 Satellite feeds, 2 from each LNBF, have a look at the ones available for Shaw Direct.

We will have to aggree to disagree about the 4th input I guess, as I have never known anyone include the Power Supply input in the wording.....

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Switches will work instead of splitters but the signal still needs to be amplified if split 4 ways.
I have frequently used 8 way 3Ghz Splitters, to feed 8, 16 Way Multiswitch's, never ever had an issue. Powered splitters are not a part of my inventory and are certainly not on any Bell APL.

A standard 20" Dish is fine if the distance is not too great and even if it is over 100', you could just use RG11.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts