Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Bell's Fibe-12 which comes with their 2 wire modem with built-in G router. I am able to get 11 MBps, wired or wirelessly which is close enough (probably more than 12Mbps at demarc point) but the range / signal strength isn't very good throughout the house (given G-router).

So, I decided to try another router (Dlink Xtreme N 655). I disabled the Bell G router and put it in bridge mode, and connected D-Link router to it, but for some reason my bandwidth cuts into half (5 Mbps) - doesn't matter if the test device is wired directly to D-link router or wirelessly. I also tried another D-link G router and same result (5 Mbps). With the built-in Bell G router, I am able to get 11Mbps (wired or wirelessly).

Any obvious reason why this is happening and what can I change to get the full bandwidth on the D-link router (or any other N-router that I should consider)?

Thanks for any suggestions. Bell online tech played around with their modem / router with no change in results but it didn't seem like she knew what she was doing.

·
Registered
961 Posts
With the 2-Wire router, as mentioned, you can up the power output of the Wirelss signal. I've played with mine an can actually pick up a strong signal from 4 houses away.
Why would you need an additional router? You can have 4 wired devices and 4 wireless devices attached at once?

Nem, who loves taking his PS3 to his neighbours house and streaming video.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Agreed, but for the average user, they don't need or use those things.

Nem, who is without a witty comment about averages.

·
Registered
165 Posts
2 Wire Modem & Windows Home Server

Has anyone been able to set up the 2 Wire modem so that you can access a Windows Home Server. It requires port 443 to be open which I believe I have done in the 2 Wire modem setup, but when I try to access the server’s web page it says it can find it but security is blocking it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts