Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have received two different Shaw-branded coaxial cable types from Shaw recently, labeled:

• SHAW ) BELDEN YN29891 SERIES 6 1C18 E108998-BN (UL) CATV OR CMG OR C(UL) CMG FT4 XO9/09 ROHS
  • AM3914281 Shaw 9900963 CM, CMG c(ETL)us OR CATV (ETL)us 18 AWG COMMSCOPE 2010 "BrightWire"
Some of the notations on the Belden I recognize but those on the COMMSCOPE (except for the CM, CMG & CATV ratings) I don't. Is it RG6 also? Is it a better/inferior/same grade? Can anyone tell me whether these are equivalent/different, suitable for runs inside my home?
Thanks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's definitely coax. Everything else I read right off the cables. My Google efforts showed some listings for similar cables which were, supposedly, RG6-Quad but I couldn't find anything for the particular cable I mentioned. I did find one reference to 9900963 as RG-6 but the other info was different.

Addendum: I just noticed my posting was moved here out of the Shaw forum. I had hoped one of the Shaw people reading the Shaw forums would see the post and comment on the cable being provided by Shaw. That seems less likely now.

·
Super Moderator
18,888 Posts
Here is my understanding on the CommScope cable:

• 18 AWG is RG6.
  • BrightWire is CommScope’s trademark for it's dry corrosion protection. This is premium cable compared to CommScope’s regular indoor cable that Shaw uses. I think Shaw always uses BrightWire for exterior drops.
  • I "think" AM3914281 is a batch number.
I can't tell you which cable is better but they are both suitable for indoor use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just expanding on Dr. Dave's comments.

The "AM3914281" is a marking that provides manufacturing specific information to the cable in question.

The "9900963" is the ETL listing number for CommScope, which is followed by the appropriate marks for CMG (FT4). These cables are suitable for indoor use.

The 18 AWG is the size of the centre conductor. RG6 = 18 AWG, RG59 = 20 AWG and RG11 = 14 AWG.

The "2010" is simply the year of manufacture.

"BrightWire", as Dr. Dave mentioned is an anti-corrisive treatment. You may ask why this would be used on an indoor cable. The reality is that often cables that are meant for indoor use, get used in an outdoor environment and therefore provides additional protection is this situation. For example, you'll often see a white/neutral colour cable used indoors, but also may be used outdoors, due to housing siding colour.

Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts