2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi!

I'm deciding between the following 3D DB MKV/DivX DLNA players:
- Sony BDP S470
- LG BX580
- Philips BDP7500
- Samsung C6900

I want to play also MKV, DivX HD... and similar stuff from NAS so I need DLNA.

What is your oppinion? They all seem pretty similar, but I'm interested in differences.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I presume you have the Seiki, how has it been performing ? I am planning on picking one of these up ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I own the Seiki. I picked one up from Walmart a few weeks back now.

Very happy with it for the price! Very nice picture quality on DVD and Blu-Ray. Best of all though it can be made DVD region free and you can change Blu-Ray regions with just a remote code. It converts PAL to NTSC pretty well. I've not tried the Media functions, but people have reported it'll play most HD DivX/AVIs (albeit with a bit of stuttering on some files).

Someone on another forum disassembled one and found it's basically a Philips BDP3000 in a different case.

All in all, a bit of a bargain for the price. My local walmart still has lots in stock.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nifta, most Blu-ray drives for PC allow changing the region code three times only. Can you change the Blu-ray region code of the Seiki from A to B back and forth ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. Do you know any details about new Sony BDP S770/S1700ES? What is the difference between e.g. S570 and S770?

2. I noticed on Sony's homepage that S770 can play:
-----
DLNA Client (DMP/DMR) - JA
JPEG (BD, DVD, CD, USB, DLNA) - Ja/Ja/Ja/Ja/Ja
DivXHD (BD, DVD, CD, USB, DLNA) - Ja/Ja/Ja/Ja/Ja
WMA (BD, DVD, CD, USB, DLNA) - Ja/Ja/Ja/Ja/Ja
WMV (BD, DVD, CD, USB, DLNA) - JA/JA/JA/JA/NEIN
MPEG1/2 (BD, DVD, CD, USB, DLNA) - Ja/Ja/Ja/Ja/Ja
MPEG4 (BD, DVD, CD, USB, DLNA) - Ja/Ja/Ja/Ja/Ja
WAV (BD, DVD, CD, USB, DLNA) - JA/JA/JA/JA/NEIN
MP3 (BD, DVD, CD, USB, DLNA) - Ja/Ja/Ja/Ja/Ja
MPEG4 AAC (BD, DVD, CD, USB, DLNA) - Ja/Ja/Ja/Ja/Ja
-----
while in User Manuals there is stated:
-----
*5 The player does not play this file format on a DLNA server (MPEG4, WMV, AVCHD, MPEG1).
*6 The player can only play standard definition video on a DLNA server (MPEG2).
-----
From manuals it seems that it only uses DivX and MPEG with DLNA.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nifta, most Blu-ray drives for PC allow changing the region code three times only. Can you change the Blu-ray region code of the Seiki from A to B back and forth ?
I answer my own question. I changed between regions A and B back and forth 10 times without problem.

The Seiki BD660 is definitely a steal for the money. It boots up even faster than my other brand name product.

The main problem would be future firmware upgrade which I do not expect any. Buyer of this player must keep the receipt for exchange or refund if it fails to play newer movies.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I picked up one of the Seikis on your guys say so. I *only* want it to play region B BDs, nothing else really. I don't even have a "B" BD to test on, kind of dumb of me really (can get some in a week, I have a *long* want-list), but the last time WM had region-free BDPs they didn't last at all long around here, and I missed out so not this time. But if it does all DVD regions too, with half-decent quality (comparable to an Oppo DVDP, so I can use that machine elsewhere), that will make it a bit more useful.

Before I open the box I have to make sure it does the BD region stuff absolutely reliably though. Since this isn't a feature I can probably return the player for if it doesn't work... Any good sites where they discuss this you can provide? I have to say I have *never* seen a more flimsy drive in any device, some equals in laptops, if the tray is any indication. :) Since I'll mostly only use it for B BDs, I'm not too concerned with longevity, I'll even keep the main power off.

One other thing: this player does output ALL audio formats via HDMI, right? I'm not clear on that, saw some "no DTS-HD MA" stuff and couldn't get a context. I don't care if it doesn't decode them all, even my Oppo BDP-83 doesn't do that properly. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts