Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE), Canada's largest communications company, today reported financial results for the third quarter of 2009.
BCE, which includes Bell Canada, Bell Aliant and Telesat, reported a a modest 0.5% increase in operating revenues to $4.46 billion when compared to the same quarter of 2008, however, thanks to improved financial discipline and record net activations at Bell Wireless, operating income rose 17.2% to $782 million.
BCE's net earnings were $558 million compared to $248 million, or $0.31 per share, for the same period last year.
Digital Home readers will be most interested in the results of Bell Canada whose services include local, long distance and wireless phone services, high-speed and wireless Internet access, and direct-to-home satellite and VDSL television services and Bell Aliant which provides many of the same services in Eastern Canada.
Operating revenue at Bell Canada for the three months ending September 30th rose 1.2% from the same period a year earlier to $3.8 billion while operating income rose 25.9% to $583 million.
The following are Bell Canada’s landline, wireless, internet and video subscriber counts as of September 30, 2009. (Numbers in parentheses reflect customer counts at the end of 2008)
- High Speed Internet - 2,084,000 (2,054,000)
- Landline Telephone Residential - 3,976,000 (4,231,000)
- Landline Telephone Business - 3,121,000 (3,205,000)
- Landline Telephone Total - 7,097,000 (7,436,000)
- Wireless Postpaid - 4,966,000 (4,745,000)
- Wireless Prepaid - 1,741,000 (1,752,000)
- Wireless Total - 6,707,000 (6,497,000)
- Video - 1,924,000 (1,852,000)
Operating revenue at Bell Aliant for the three months ending September 30th fell 2.6% from the same period a year earlier due to declines in local and long distance revenues. Despite the revenue declines, labour-related cost reductions from restructuring programs and ongoing cost containment initiatives resulted in an increase in EBITDA of $4 million or 1.1 per cent over the same quarter a year earlier.
The following are Bell Aliant’s landline, wireless, internet and IPTV subscriber counts as of September 30, 2009. (Numbers in parentheses reflect customer counts at the end of 2008)
- High Speed Internet - 797,682 (757,153
- Landline Telephone Residential - 1,959,848 (2,042,250)
- Landline Telephone Business - 1,020,836 (1,050,196)
- Landline Telephone Total - 2,980,684 (3,092,446)
- Wireless Postpaid - 99,681 (95,223)
- Wireless Prepaid - 19,973 (18,724)
- Wireless Total - 119,654 (113,947)
- IPTV - Not announced.