Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 797 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
French Creek OTA (update to Post #64)

Was Testing out a new Samsung Plasma I recently purchased and was getting CBC HD solid for the 3 hours or so that I watched it. I was somewhat confused as first the channel registered as 2-1 then I repositioned the antenna and it came in as 58-8?? Earlier in the year I was getting CTV on my HYbrid USB gadget but couldnt pick it up last night, I will try it again in the fall when the foliage disappears. Still using my ANT501 but may get a Terk later this year.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mill Bay (North of Victoria)

Hey Flyboy94ca,
If you are still watching this thread....

I am located in Mill Bay. We just bought a Sony 46" XBR2 TV and I have it connected to a Shaw/Motorola DCT 2500 STB.

To test the OTA reception here, I connected a whip antenna (came with a cheap portable TV :eek:) thru a hunk of coax into the vhf/uhf connector on the back of the set. The antenna was propped up against the family room wall. After runnng the "auto program", the set reported 5 analog and 2 digital channels. The two digital channels were out of Bellingham; KVOS and the shopping channel.

Since the crappy test above worked, I am going to buy a Winegard PR-8800 and mount it outside. Will let you know how it works out!

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Insomniac, the PR-8800 is a fine antenna but why did you choose it over the CM4228? That's not a critique, just my own curiosity. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I remember Winegard's reputation from the days when I messed around with C-Band. When I searched for UHF antennas on the 'net, I found the Winegard for sale and thought "hey, that works for me!".

The shopping channel I mentioned is KBCB. I have now got far enough thru the Sony manual to figure out how to determine signal strength. Both channels running between 60 and 70 with the antenna:rolleyes: on the floor. (My wife knocked it onto the floor while painting the room; new TV calls for some redecorating!)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Was Testing out a new Samsung Plasma I recently purchased and was getting CBC HD solid for the 3 hours or so that I watched it. I was somewhat confused as first the channel registered as 2-1 then I repositioned the antenna and it came in as 58-8?? Earlier in the year I was getting CTV on my HYbrid USB gadget but couldnt pick it up last night, I will try it again in the fall when the foliage disappears. Still using my ANT501 but may get a Terk later this year.
Have been receiving CBC HD 2.1 solid since my last post and finally locked into CTV HD 32.1 today. Positioned my antenna on top of my BBQ on the back deck and watched a solid 2 hour movie that had no audio or video dropouts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OTA (Victoria BC)- how cheap?

Hi,

I've recently moved to Victoria from the UK, and I'm not interested in getting the basic cable package Shaw offer ($29 a month, I just can't see me using it enough!) so I'd like to look into OTA TV.

Problem is, I don't have a lot of money or time to play around with it. I see from browsing the forum here that a lot of people have large antenna mounted to the side of their house, etc- that just isn't going to work for me, not least because I'm in a rented property! But on the other hand, I don't (yet) want HDTV or anything like that- just your basic, basic TV!

I know you can use the cheap 'bunny-ears' type antenna- how likely is it that I'll actually get a watchable signal from one of these? Does anyone in Victoria got any local knowledge? I'm nearby Christmas Hill (yes, by a hill, probably not the greatest sign!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reception with cheap antenna?

Hey guys,

I'm living in Victoria, looking to set up an OTA TV... not HD or anything fancy, though. If I got some of those 'bunny-ears' antenna, what kind of reception would I be likely to get? Anything at all watchable?

I'm located by Christmas Hill just outside of downtown Victoria.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
that 39.99 antenna should work..... about 1/10 as good as a proper OTA 400.00 antenna/mast set up.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Figured it'd not be great, but still.

Another question, having read everything mentioned in these forums... what is the state of play with analogue transmissions right now?

As I understand it, in order to receive digital transmissions I need an ATSC tuning box, correct? Is that the case with analogue as well or can I just plug straight in?

I know the signal is being turned off, but it'd be good to have a short term solution straight off.

·
Registered
442 Posts
chocky ... i'm not familiar with the situation in Victoria, but I'd expect you will get at least CBC, CTV, Global and A-Channel in analog SD there with an indoor UHF/VHF antenna. Not sure if you can reasonably expect to get the US nets from your location.

The Canadian networks should be available right up to August of 2011 (US nets, if receivable with an indoor antenna, would end in February 2009), and you can plug the antenna right into any TV - no box required. The picture quality will likely leave something to be desired.

You might try a local hardware store or Canadian Tire for a UHF/VHF antenna in the $20 range.

·
Registered
57 Posts
French Creek (Parksville) OTA

Have been receiving CBC HD 2.1 solid since my last post and finally locked into CTV HD 32.1 today. Positioned my antenna on top of my BBQ on the back deck and watched a solid 2 hour movie that had no audio or video dropouts.

I seem to have found the "sweet spot" for CVIT 32.1 as Im receiving it solid pretty much every time I check it.
CIVT 2 bars out of 6
CBUT 5 bars out of 6

·
Registered
1 Posts
Victoria OTA

I will be picking up a new HDTV today and am interested in both analogue and HD OTA possibilities. OTA might be enough for me if it is all possible here.

I live in Victoria on Rockland Ave (near Government House) and face due south looking towards the mountains. if anyone has any good experience getting reception here, I'd be very interested in knowing about it.

I know nothing about OTA or antennas, are they affected by trees? Plenty on this property which impair my view of said mountains.

·
Registered
110 Posts
OTA in Victoria, BC

I was wondering if anyone in Victoria, BC has been successful in receiving HD signals over the air lately. In specific, any Hockey on CBC? If so, is it possible to get a signal without an expensive and huge antenna?

Thanks.

hmm...
I see this has been moved to a dead thread. :(

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
It sure has been quiet in this thread, but I've wondered about that too regarding CBC HD's ability to carry across the Straight.

I think the SeaTac stations just can't get around the mountains to most of Victoria though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nanaimo (Departure Bay/Sherwood Forest/Stephenson Point area)

Hello,

I'm in Nanaimo (for those that know the area I'm in the Departure Bay/Sherwood Forest/Stephenson Point area), and have a HDTV but I am still on SD Shaw Cable...

I would love to move to HD, but just can't manage to swing the 700 bucks for the Shaw HDPVR (If you're going to go HD you might as well get the PVR, right?)... So, I borrowed a set of rabbit ears just to see what I could get... I would love to be able to watch Hockey Night In Canada in HD this year!

The TV is in my basement, so I was hoping for greatness, but in reality wasn't really expecting much with the rabbit ears. I hooked 'em up did the search and found two channels -- KVOS and Shop NBC (KBCB or something like that), but that's it. Sadly, I couldn't get any of the digital channels from Vancouver.

There's a big hill behind my house that is kind of in between me and Mt. Seymour, so I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with the signals I got/didn't get...

A couple of notes: The two digital signals that I did get were 100% clear with very little to no drop outs. I could also get a bunch of analog signals (including those from Vancouver and Victoria) with varying results.

So, sadly, Shaw may end up getting more of my money in the long run anyway...

Z

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Sad to say that you may be right about that hill killing CBC HD signals from Mt. Seymour, Zudnick, but I wish you had a CM4228 up high to test.

Also which analogues from Mt. Seymour do you get, and what is their picture quality relative to eachother?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,

If I remember correctly, the analog signals I could get were CBC, CTV, City TV, Global, CHEK, and KVOS…

They were all a bit fuzzy at times, but at other times very watchable during my short test period. I don’t really remember enough to do a reliable comparison between signals though… I was much more interested in the digital signals that I could pick up, therefore I didn't pay that much attention to the analog stuff.

You know, if you’re really interested in testing the signals over here feel free to stop by my place with a mast and CM4228 anytime! I'd love to see those results too.

Z

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Thanks for the invite but with the price of gas and the ferries it is ridiculously expensive now to visit the Island! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
CTV Pixellation

I'm frustrated by CTV pixellation. I live in a great location on Salt Spring Island and am able to get CBC HD perfectly, and when I swing my (outdoor) antenna toward Seattle, I can get 2 of the HD stations there (NBC and CBS). I'm line of sight to Mt Seymour and the picture still breaks up regularly unless the sun, moon, stars and weather seem to be in perfect astrological alignment. I'm hoping CTV is reading this, and will remove the FRS radio from their antenna and replace it with a real HDTV transmitter!

81 - 100 of 797 Posts