Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

781 - 788 of 788 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
It may not work in the end, given your obstacles. It is designed for distance and obstacles but is only a remote possibility that it would work, given your lack of success with your current antenna.

Likely the best hope is to find a signal bounce of a tall building.

·
Registered
282 Posts
One other possibility is you may have a multi-path situation, where the signal reaches your antenna from two different paths (one direct and one reflected off an object like a building). I would be tempted to try a more directional antenna focused on the Vancouver station.

Possibly this one: https://goo.gl/og5KDC

I have not tried this one, but have acquaintances that have reported high rates of success for getting distant stations.

KR

·
Registered
4 Posts
Keith,
I had a look at the FB group you linked to. Sure looks like a lot of discussions of streaming services and not much on OTA. It also seems to be a pretty geographically diverse group so while I think I'll follow it I don't think I'll post my specific question.
I am, however going to look for a directional antenna to try before I give up.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
282 Posts
There is actually a fair bit of OTA chatter. If you put your TV Fool up there, you will get a lot of response.

THat being said, I took a look at your approximate area. If you are down near the intersection of Millstream and Harrington, it does not look at all likely. If you are up the hill a bit (like near the Bear Mountain Parkway and River Crossing Roundabout), you have a shot with your antenna.

Keith R

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Before I give up! .....I am now trying to get things set up but am having terrible results.
tvfool report: TV Fool

antenna: Antennas Direct Clear Stream 4 connected to an HDTV tuner
mount: outside on a 2nd floor balcony
When I aim the antenna to about 135 degrees I get about 30 channels, mostly from Washington state. However, no matter where I put it I can't get any of the Vancouver stations.

For this experiment to be a success I really need to be able to grab all of the US affiliates (abc,cbs,nbc,fox & pbs) as well as the Canadian networks (city, cbc, ctv, global).
Any successions before I put my antennas up for sale would be greatly appreciated.
It will be difficult to receive the Seattle channels. You will be able to receive a few with the help of Tropospheric Propagation, but that will be less frequent in the winter.

Using the TVFool Interactive map, the green signal lines from Seattle don't show until the antenna height is 100 feet:

and your report looks much better at 100 feet, but that is an unrealistic height

You will notice that CBUT doesn't get much better.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
I am, however going to look for a directional antenna to try before I give up.
Thanks again.
This is the terrain profile between Seattle and your location:

A high gain UHF yagi antenna and a preamp might improve your chances. If you need a VHF-High Seattle channel, you would need a separate VHF antenna like the Stellar Labs 30-2476, or a UHF/VHF combo antenna like the Winegard HD7698P.

However, no matter where I put it I can't get any of the Vancouver stations.
This shows why Vancouver channels are difficult to receive at your location:

Again, a high gain UHF Yagi antenna and a preamp might help. Since you are directly behind a mountain, the Antennas Direct 91XG or the Solid Signal HDB91X can tilt the front end up a little to catch the signal coming down from the peak; this often helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Global Re Broadcaster on Bowen Island

Can anyone confirm if either the analog or digital signal is still available? I haven't been able to either capture the signal or find a definitive answer as to whether it exists.
Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
On June 13, 2019, the CRTC approved the deletion of the following CHAN-DT rebroadcast transmitters at the request of Corus Entertainment Inc. -

CHAN-DT-2 Bowen Island, CHAN-DT-3 Squamish, CHAN-DT-5 Brackendale, CHAN-DT-6 Wilson Creek, CHAN-DT-7 Whistler, CHKL-DT-3 Revelstoke, CHKM-DT-1 Pritchard, CHRP-DT-2 Revelstoke, CISR-DT Santa Rosa, CISR-DT-1 Grand Forks, CITM-DT 100 Mile House, CITM-DT-1 Williams Lake, CITM-DT-2 Quesnel, CKKM-TV Oliver, CKTN-DT-2 Taghum, CKTN-TV-1 Castlegar, CKTN-TV-3 Nelson, and CKTN-TV-4 Creston.

781 - 788 of 788 Posts