Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 790 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
rbears, stampeder - thanks for the great information.

I'm currently in Saanichton and wondering if the ATSC option on the sony KDFE versus the KFE is a good use of money. Initially, I wasn't thinking about going to digital cable, so the idea of a few OTA channels seems interesting.

There are certainly lots of tall trees between my house and Orcas Island, but it's quite close by. Am I more likely to get something out of the Sea-Tac corridor?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
34power, early posts in this thread deal with the issue of whether you can "see around" the Olympic Mountains down to SeaTac from the south Island, so you might need to get out a map and a straightedge to see if it clears fairly well from Saanichton. I would think so, but rbears and others would know from experience.

·
Registered
164 Posts
OTA Results in Apartment at Nanaimo

:rolleyes: I live in a apartment in milton street and i am on the 7th floor in the back and with my 27' 1997 sanyo tv, sumsung t151 astc tuner and outdoor amp. round radioshack antenna used inside, the antenna is small. I can pick up 3 hdtv channel but you need to play around the antenna to pick up the signal.

HD--Asg--Channel

19 - 24.1 KBCB
33 - 32.1 CTV Vancouver
58 - 02.1 CBC Vancouver:cool:

It very clear and it pick up better than analog signals but there is cutouts anlong the way.

I cant pick up any channels from seattle, wa because i don't have a window pointing south and east.

let me know when Global, CH, CityTV, A-Channel, KVOS or ChannelM come on the air on HD OTA.

·
Registered
680 Posts
rbears, Stampeder, I'm in essentially the same position as 34power above. Living in Sidney, 4th storey condo facing North but with a possibility of raising an antenna above the roofline... if it's discreet. Close to the best shot around the Olympics to be found on the peninsula.

I'm about to buy a plasma, and debating whether an internal tuner is worthwhile. I'll have Shaw digital, probably with an HD box, but wondering if there's more OTA HD to be had.

Thoughts appreciated... Perry.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
To have an ATSC tuner is always better than to not have one, especially when all those translator stations in Bellingham start to come up. :) Since you're on the north side of the building you'll probably get CBUT-DT out of Vancouver too. For SeaTac stations you'd need something like a Channel Master 4228 UHF antenna & preamp mounted up on a mast above the roofline by 6 to 10 feet. With a rotor you could sweep the antenna from the north-northeast to the south to get Vancouver-Bellingham-SeaTac.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Nanaimo

I'm in Nanaimo on a hillside, in a South facing house. I tried attaching some old RCA 'rabbit ears' to my Panasonic TV with built in tuner.

It gets 24.1 KBCB just fine. The signal meter shows around 50%.

It didn't pick up anything else. There are other houses and maybe some of the hill between me and the Vancouver transmitters on Mt. Seymour.

I might get up on the roof to check if I could stick an antenna up there that could see Mt. Seymour to the East.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Soup to Nuts recommendation for Nanaimo

SportsFan, if you want only the Vancouver UHF DT stations from Mt. Seymour I'd invest in proper gear since an indoor antenna will be too unreliable even up high near or on the roof. A yagi like a Winegard PR9032 or a bowtie reflector like a Channel Master 4228 locked directly at Mt. Seymour would be ideal, and you probably would not need a preamp.

On the other hand, when the Bellingham repeaters come up you'll want to have a Channel Master 4228 on a rotor, and again you probably would not need a preamp. If you put up a mast with a CM4228 and rotor with a strong preamp you could maybe get SeaTac too, because I've heard through the grapevine that a guy on Gabriola Island is doing just that reliably, but I don't know him or have any proof. A stacked pair of CM4228s into a strong preamp on a tower would get you SeaTac, and maybe even the repeaters in Port Townsend and Port Angeles if quirky conditions are happening.

Going one step further, a large VHF/FM antenna like a Wade 306 or 307 into a strong preamp would get you a whole bunch of Vancouver, Victoria, Bellingham, and SeaTac VHF analogue stations (channels 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13) and a huge number of FM radio stations. This means that if you were to go with a deepest fringe VHF/FM/UHF combo like a Wade 936 or 937 (with UHF enhancer kit) on a rotor into a strong preamp you would have the best of all worlds, but it would be big and heavy up there.

·
Registered
164 Posts
TV Signals from Ladysmith, BC

I got American Analog Stations (Not Clear) in a porch facing southeast to the ladysmith harbour using Rabbitears on VHF and Terk HDTVI on UHF, Ran TV Wires though the widows and used a 12db amp (Not Preamp)

04 - KOMO ABC
07 - KIRO CBS
16 - KONG IND
22 - KMYQ NyNetworkTV
51 - ShopNBC

and yes, i get all the canadian analog stations very well anlong with local HD Station (CBC, CTV, KBCB)

I you are living in ladysmith, use a big vhf/uhf antenna with a pre-amp and face it southeast to the harbour.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Reception Update in Ladysmith BC

I just got my AntennaCraft MXU37 UHF Antenna Yesterday and my DX Log for Station from Seattle, WA to Ladysmith, BC

16 KONG (NBC Sec) %0 to %55 (Very Bad or Nothing to Very Watchable)
20 KTBW (TBW) %0 to %40 (Rare Signal)
22 KMYQ (MyNetTV) %5 to %60 (Very Bad or Nothing to Very Watchable)
28 PBS Tacome %0 to %40 (Rare Signal)
51 ShopNBC %0 to %35 (Rare Signal)

KONG & KMYQ broadcasted at 5000. watts and tower height of 250m

I am using a 300ohm outdoor wire from Antenna to Reg Amp and I also tried the Preamp from the Antenna to the TV. I am still doing my homework

I got in no HD Station from Seattle Yet.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
danjorgensen, KONG is broadcasting from almost exactly the same transmitter antenna location as almost all the other SeaTac stations, so with a strong preamp like a Winegard AP-8275 or Channel Master 7777 and some fine aiming I think you'll get the Digitals coming from down there. Is the ATSC tuner in your TV or is it a separate box?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Daniel Jorgensen

danjorgensen, KONG is broadcasting from almost exactly the same transmitter antenna location as almost all the other SeaTac stations, so with a strong preamp like a Winegard AP-8275 or Channel Master 7777 and some fine aiming I think you'll get the Digitals coming from down there. Is the ATSC tuner in your TV or is it a separate box?
The Digital Boxes I used is Samsung T151, Motorola VOOM 550 and I just Order a Samsung TS160. And yes thanks for the pre-amp info :)

And I am Using a Radioshack Pre-Amp Unknown Moudle and I had to take off the Pre-Amp because KBCB-24 was Interfearing the Snowed Signal of KMYQ-22 because of it Strong Power of 3090. watts and a height of 725.0 I just order a KITZ Amp from EBAY and It say it works great without climbing the towel. does a Katz Amp from Katz Tech on Ebay Reality Works ?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am still using the Antennacraft UHF Outdoor Antenna with Pre-Amp and i just got my ts160 3 weeks ago, I can only get in 16-KONG from Seattle, I Can't get any HD Stations and i can't get 22 MyNetTV because of the strong signal of 24-KBCB from Bellingham, I also tweeked my Antenna by adding steel fencing wires on the antenna. does it make a diffence.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
When I click those photo links I can't seem to get them, Daniel. Anyone else able to see them?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Results - Cadboro Bay - Ten Mile Point Area

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and have recently returned to Victoria after 11 years of the cold/snow of Calgary (wait a minute....isn't Victoria supposed to be warm and green). Anyhow, I was excited about experimenting with OTA HD as it's not available in Calgary. Here are my results.

My home is situated relatively high and I have a pretty clear view across the Straight to Port Angeles and a relatively unobstructed shot to the SeaTac corridor. Most signals knife-edge across the eastern edge of the Olympics.

Antenna: Winegard 8800 (double bow tie) mounted on a tri-pod. Sits on the peak of my roof about 4' off the top of the roofline. Antenna is pointed at about 120deg in the general direction of Seattle. Cabling is RG-6 about 25'.

Receiver: ExpressVu 6100 with ATSC/NTSC tuner.

Channels:

52 A-Channel Victoria - Quality Outstanding (Analog)
22 Omni - Vancouver - Quality Good (Analog)
16 KONG (NBC Sec) %65-70% (Reliable)
20 KTBW (TBW) 65-70%
22 KMYQ (MyNetTV) %5 to %60 (Very Bad or Nothing to Very Watchable)
28 PBS Tacome %0 to %40 (Rare Signal)
51 ShopNBC %0 to %35 (Rare Signal)

There are a few other SeaTac stations that register between 0-60% that the ExpressVu tuner will not lock onto. I have ordered a Winegard 2870 Pre-amp and hope to add a few more channels to the list.

I have to say I am a little disappointed with the stations I am pulling in thus far. The most reliable ones consist of two Spanish stations, Shop NBC, "The Tube" which is supposed to be a 24/7 music station that so far broadcasts dead air, and a 24/7 cooking channel (I'm an eater, not a cooker). I'm hoping the pre-amp will get me some more mainstream stations and once the load of snow clears off the roof, I can tweak the pointing of the antenna and pull in CBC as well.

I will post results once the pre-amp is installed.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
GearGuyBC:

Perhaps the reason as to why your OTA reception isn't that great is because the EVU OTA tuner isn't very good to begin with. I would look into getting a different tuner, such as a Samsung DTB-H260F which has the LG 5th Gen 8VSB chips and does a very good job of locking onto stations when paired with a good antenna such as the one you have now.

A rotor may help you in getting stations that are situated in different locations yes, but the use of a preamp for a 25' cable run is unnecessary. The most elementary components to consider with OTA reception is a good antenna (which you already have) and a good tuner, which the Bell EVu integrated tuner is not.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My Distant Channels in Ladysmith

What I can get now in ladysmith, BC - Small UHF Outdoor Antenna with PreAmp Facing Southeast using Tripod and 8 ft Pole

22 KMYQ MyNetTV (%10 - %40) Unstable Picture to Very Stable (Sometime Nothing)
33 KWPX IndependentTV (%10 - %20) Stable
45 KHCV Spanish (%40 - %50) Stable
51 KUNS Spanish (%50 - %70) Stable
62 KSTW CW (%0 - %30) Unstable Picture or Nothing

I Still trying to get HD Stations, I Think I try an CM7777 Preamp and/or Better ATSC Tuner

Using MXU37 UHF Antenna, Antennacraft Pre-Amp 20db and/or KITZ Amp (Not Used Together), Samsung T160 for HD Picutre, 20' Prima TV, Liteon lvw-5007 DVD Recorder. Ordered 8 Bay UHF Antenna from U'Save'Store from EBAY

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cyclism,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I agree that the BEV receiver is probably not the best -- it certainly doesn't have much in the way of granularity of settings for the OTA channels -- they either work or they do not.

41 - 60 of 790 Posts