Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 790 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dreaming about HDTV

Just a thought...In the old days at Bigwhite we used to have a yagi antenna and quite easily got all the channels from Spokane Wash as we had a clear line of site to there mountain top tranmitters....will also try up there if and when I can get a true UHF antenna....and let you guys know how it works

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
Considering it is tough for you (BigWhite) to pick up a radio station from Penticton when you are in Kelowna, an OTA antenna for use in Kelowna will do squat for you recieving anything in HD. The closest US signal would be the low powered standard definition translators in Oroville, WA for the Spokane Stations. However, my grandma in Osoyoos could barely pick up those stations with bunny ears. An OTA antenna for HD is not an option for those in the Okanagan. The 200 km (as the crow flies) and numerous mountain ranges between you and Spokane makes it quite unlikely). However, if you were at the peak of Big White ski resort, the altitude of the mountain itself would act as a bigger antenna and could possibly work.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
cgyclaytonmagnet said:
Considering it is tough for you (BigWhite) to pick up a radio station from Penticton when you are in Kelowna, an OTA antenna for use in Kelowna will do squat for you recieving anything in HD.
If you go back in this thread you'll see that Bigwhite wants to get his daughter in Victoria set up so that's why he's here. Also I've posted about the Okanagan in the past: http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showpost.php?p=284049&postcount=11

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
bigwhite said:
Just a thought...In the old days at Bigwhite we used to have a yagi antenna and quite easily got all the channels from Spokane Wash...
I was wondering about that because family I have out there have said the same thing. Are you out in the Joe Rich area? Some of the higher acreages out east of there with a southeast view might actually do fine for Spokane signals. Interesting...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
CHBC Kelowna Network Changes Upcoming

In January, the CHBC Over-The-Air station is to change from a CBC affiliate to Global and CBC is schedule to start an Over-The-Air repeater for CBC-Vancouver. At least that is what I have heard. A Shaw tech told me that Shaw plans to reflect these changes on Shaw cable in January.

·
Registered
119 Posts
stampeder said:
With the potential for U.S. signals also increasing from just KBCB-DT to include KVOS-DT 35 and whichever signal will be on the new Channel 38
What info do you have about channel 38? Is 38 not KOMO DT?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Madbob, see post #119. I've emailed all sorts of broadcasting people in WA about the new 38 but nobody has replied as of yet.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
CBC repeaters coming to many rural BC locations (in HD?)

The CRTC has approved several repeaters of CBUT Vancouver in Kelowna, Braeloch, Penticton, Vernon, Oliver, Salmon Arm, Enderby, and Celista:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/2005/db2005-79.htm

I'm inferring from the very low ERPs that these are to be new digital translators capable of carrying the CBC-HD signal, but until I see clearer info in Industry Canada's database I don't know for sure since the IC list doesn't match the CRTC list yet. Also, in the past, the CRTC has tended to approve stations as analogs and then have them file applications to raise a DTV station too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Victoria - High up on a ridge in Rockland

Anyone with great reception with HD in Victoria? Tell me what you've got, where you're located, stuff you're using, etc.

I'm sitting on a ridge in the Rockland area. Approx height is 60 meters above sea level. I'm overlooking Juan de Fuca Strait with no obstructions to the south and southeast.

I'm presently using a HDTV ready set with just a regular analogue cable connection. I've recently had serious problems with my vision in 1 eye (vitrectomy & scelera buckle) and want to see the best before or if my vision deteriorates further :(

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
kaal said:
Anyone with great reception with HD?
Sorry to hear about your medical troubles - I understand what you're saying.

There are some earlier posts in this thread about Victoria, but to sum it up there might be a problem with the Olympic mountain range being in the way of a clear shot at SeaTac stations, so it all depends on your location. Further up the Island's eastern shoreline SeaTac reception improves quite a bit.

Judging from your location I'd say you will probably have luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
HD in Victoria

kaal said:
Anyone with great reception with HD in Victoria? Tell me what you've got, where you're located, stuff you're using, etc.
Hi there

I used to receive good but inconsistent signals from Seattle-Tacoma area with CM4228 and Hughes STB.

I wanted to contact you but your PM is turned off. If you enable your PM
I would gladly share my HD experience with you.

Regards
Harry

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks to those of you who took the time to reply. While the FTA's & OTA's for HDTV are very strong financial motivations, I can't personally make myself the pioneer:(

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
kaal said:
Thanks to those of you who took the time to reply. While the FTA's & OTA's for HDTV are very strong financial motivations, I can't personally make myself the pioneer:(
That's the tough thing about Victoria and the south Island - with the Olympic Mountains in the way there's just not a solid SeaTac signal at this time. I feel your pain. My hope is that you folks will be able to get the new translators that are likely to come up in the Bellingham area in the future.

·
Registered
13 Posts
cbut

More than one dropout on that debate for sure!:)
Seriously, Cubt is solid for me in Vic. while Ctv is weaker than many of the Seattle digitals.
Kvos should be no problem once they come on.They will have good elevation as well. Kbcb is a strong signal here.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
rbears said:
Cubt is solid for me in Vic. while Ctv is weaker than many of the Seattle digitals.
Thanks rbears - can you tell us a bit about your gear and if possible post some signal strength numbers for us? Have a look at my North Delta results posts earlier in this thread for a template if you like. cheers! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
stampeder said:
How's CBUT-DT coming in where you are on the Island and up the Fraser Valley?
Here in Nanaimo were I am located, the signal from CBUT-DT 58 (2.1) seems more prone to drop-outs than CIVT-DT 33 (32.1). Both are more far more reliable than KCBC-DT 19 (24.1) which most of the time I can not recieve.

Thermal ducting over Georgia Straint and rain causes signal fade problems for all of the stations.

Definately not a reliable signal.

Its a joke the the CRTC let any of the Canadian stations broadcast with such minimal power. I guess that the ATSC transmiters are up primarily so they can sim-sub.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Victoria results

Location: Gorge/Tillicum area, north of the Gorge about 50' above sea level.
65 miles to Van. towers, 75/80 miles to Seattle towers,31milesto Bellingham.

Antenna #1 Channelmaster 3650 combo/rotator/7778preamp.UpsinceSept/99
Originally for analog, garage roof mast about 36' above grade.

Antenna # 2 A pair of RS U120R yagis/ horizontally stacked/rotator/RS 15-1109 pre-amp. Homemade coax-baluns. On a 3 section tower 35' above grade. Up since summer/ 04.

Receiver Samsung Sirt-150. Sept./02

Receive lots of analog from Van. Vic. Bell. and Seattle.

Digital; I will list the remapped channel #. Results for Jan.15/6:40 pm.

chan#---call--strength--picture--antenna---comment

2 --- cubt---7bars-----solid------Rs----5/6bars with Cm.
4--- komo---fluctuates-no--------Rs----seldom get this
5--- king--- 6bars-----solid-------Rs
7--- kiro--- 6bars------solid------Cm
9--- kcts---5-6bars--variable -----Rs---usually good
11-- kstw---0-5-6------no--------Rs---sometimes good
16-- kong---not much--no---------Rs---seldom get this
22-- ktwb---0-6bars--freezing-----Rs ---usually good.
24-- kbcb---7bars-----solid--------Rs
32-- civt--- 6bars-----solid--------Rs
33-- kwpx--6bars-odd pixilation----Rs
45--khcv---0-5-6------no---------Rs---usually get
51--kwog--0-5-6------no---------Rs---usually get

The Sirt-150 shows sig. strength in bars on a graph, (not %) goes up to 15.
This is 2 or 3 generations old now, newer receivers prob. better.
Reception from Seattle varies; Bad weather/fog/temp inversions over the straights can affect. The horizontal stack helps to null the multipath that affects atsc ota reception. The coax-balun improved sig. strength. I'll post some pictures on the pictures thread.

Regards to all, Rob

21 - 40 of 790 Posts