Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 458 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Hi prosonik, just taking guesses here but I don't think any of the digital TV signals would make it out to Chilliwack due to the position of the antenna farm on Mt. Seymour being obscured by the other mountains, but with an outdoor antenna there's a chance you might get Bellingham analogues and digitals. An indoor antenna will only get you the local repeater analogues.

BTW I run a MythTV box with 2 pcHDTV cards for 1080i ATSC reception outputting at 1080p into my 60" SXRD HDTV... :) If you use the DHC search tool with the term mythtv you'll see quite a few threads here about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chilliwack

I was searching the net, and It doesn't seem like there is any hope of the repeaters going HD. I'm wondering if i shouldn't just give it a try and see what happens. Perhaps find a cheap high gain pre-amp. Argha. It's frustrating living in chilliwack, that I will be stuck in the shaw/expressvu paradigm if i want HD.

I figured there would be at least a few myth junkies on here. The OTA/Myth combo is almost perfect. I would sure love to add HD to the mix.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Update to #167 but with New Antenna

So I'm gonna post a update! I have made myself a new antenna, I wasn't too happy with my the 4 bay antenna I made so I thought I would try something different. I made a 7 element LPDA antenna that someone had posted on another forum. It works great!!

I now get CBC with 6-8 bars, CTV 6-8 bars and KVOS 4-5 bars. This is without an amplifier! Before hand I got similar results with the 4 bay WITH an amp but also found that I got alot more dropouts as well. I have trees directly in the line of sight of the Mt Seymour towers so I think maybe this directional antenna is a better suit for me. Not to mention it is a quarter of the size and EASILY mountable.

I will try to post up some pictures soon but it's too dark to do that right now. I did lose KBCB though, not that I watch the shopping channel but it did make me wonder why. Very happy with this setup but still tinkering around here to make it even better (will never stop). Still pondering if I should go out and buy a 4228 so I can shoot for the SeaTac stations though...

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
mdelleman said:
As far as I have read so far, no matter what sort of splitter you use you will lose 3db of signal.
It is true that the best you can hope for is a 3dB reduction with a 2-1 splitter. A 3dB reduction is approximately half the signal. It actually makes sense if you think about it since half the signal goes to one port an the other half goes to the other. In reality most splitters actualy have a 3.5 or 4 dB signal loss.

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is what I had thought, thanks for clarifying. I think my best option right now is just to use a switch. For me being 25 miles away from my local signals (Mt. Seymour) and 100 miles the other way I think I would lose too much signal to be able to pull it off. Maybe if I was 20 miles from both or something like that. Back to building my 4228!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am hoping someone can help me. I am looking at buying a 4228 with a pre amp but I am not sure what preamp I should be picking up. What would be recommended for me. All of the HD channels right now are UHF for me but in 2009 two (KCTS and KCPQ will be VHF). I am wondering if I should go all UHF (winegard 4800, CM775) or VHF UHF combined (CM 7777 or Wingard 8275). Channel Master seems to have lower noise values so that seems like the right choice. What do you guys think? Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Also if I were to take two 4221's and combine them rather then buy a 4228 would this do the same? I can get 4221's for 25 bucks. I guess it would be setup more like a DB8 but with a continuous screen. Thanks.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
People have tried making a CM4228 out of 2 CM4221s and it seems that the secret is to literally copy the 4228's exact layout of its crossbars and cross-connectors. That's the ticket!

Of course the obvious question is Why Bother when you can just buy one, unless you already have 2 CM4221s? :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have an oppurtunity to grab 2 CM4221's for 50 bucks, 25 a piece. But if it won't amoount to the same results then there won't be much point I guess. I need the gain to pull in Seattle I am just trying to do it the most cost effective way (wife factor, she already thinks it's ridiculous).

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am wondering if picking up CBC and CTV off the back of a 4228 would be possible, I am trying to figure out if I should be looking at a rotor or ways to combine antennas. Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Update to #182

So I bought some gear this week. CM 4228, CM rotor, Winegard 4800 preamp. I have 1 - 10 foot, 1.25 inch mast, two 5 foot 1.25 inch and two 5 foot 1 inch mast. So far I have hooked it up to the 10 footer (no rotor) and tried some different spots from the lawn.

I have a ton of trees on property and I dont really expect any decent results until I get it up on the roof\side of house. With it leaning up against the deck pointing directly south I was able to get:

Digital:

CBC - 6-7 bars
CTV - 6-7 bars
KVOS - 8 bars
KBCB - 8 bars

Pretty impressed that I got CBC and CTV as strong as I did off the back!!

Analogue:

CBC ch2
CTV ch32
Global ch8
M Channel ch42
A Channel ch17
Chek ch6
City ch10
CBCfrench ch26
KVOS ch 12
KBCB ch24
KCTS ch9 - fuzz not watchable but there
KCPQ ch 13 - fuzz not watchable but there
KIRO ch7 - fuzz not watchable but there
KSTW ch 11 - fuzz not watchable but there

I also got ch 25 very weakly, but I can not figure out what it is, but it was definitely there.

So should I be taking this as encouraging? I think my chances to get KCPQ steady are pretty damn good as well as KIRO and possibly KSTW and KCTS. I figure this by other peoples results on those channels as well as me getting some analogue signal from them.

My next step is to mount it onto the side of the house right at the peak on the eave. I will be using a reinforced welded J Mount with enough 1.25 inch mast to get the rotor on (1 foot). The pipe actually will slide perfectly into the J Mount. Then once the rotor is on I will secure everything with some link chain or weld on some beam supports to the J mount to attach to each side of the eave a bit lower down. Then from there I will throw the 4228 up with the 5 foot, 1 inch diameter mast (a bit lighter but still strong). I may try to go 10 feet off the rotor but that will depend on how I think my J Mount is holding up.

I think for all of this to be worth it I need to get KCPQ and KIRO. If this happens I would be pretty happy. Anything else would be bonus. I'm all in it for the sports anyways!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Stampeder,

Channel 25 came in on analogue. Gords site doesn't have 25 listed as anyone for analogue. KMYQ is 22 analogue, 25 DTV. I agree it is a very nice site for reference though and I check it often for news as well!

GerryB,

Yea, it is definitely pointed south. It is wierd that it would pick up a CBC repeater off the side, if that is indeed what it is.

What do you guys think of the rest of the results? I will doing more after work today. I will hopefully have some help and will throw two 10 foot pieces together with a rotor in the middle and have someone out there standing it up or tie it off somewhere so I can search around a bit. The extra 10 feet may give me some better results for now.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Find yourself on this map

I did a contour analysis of channel 39 from Seattle from its 220 meter antenna height at location 473801 north by 1222120 west. This could be bad. The results are in dBm for an antenna at 10m height (30 feet). I'll have to convert dBm to dBuV/m later to get a good sense, but Langley seems to not do so well. Sorry the maps are superimposed so the visual isnt perfect but see if you can figure out where you are and what the number is for the nearest sample point. The computer had to chug for an hour to get this.

Yes I have been using Gord's site as a reference for the channels then using the FCC database to refine the coordinates.

There are some places on the map where the signal is as high as -70 dBm then other places where it is as low as -100 dBm or worse. To put it in perspective, someone with a paper clip as an antenna with no preamp living in a -70 zone could get reception at the same clarity as someone with a CM4228 and a preamp where it is -100 -- and thats being generous

Here is the map:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Here is my lat\long:

Latitude: 49.05921 / Longitude: -122.680316

That should help you pinpoint me on your map. Let me know how that looks.

Mark.

EDIT:

My guess is that I am at 87.96 . This definitely does not seem positive.

41 - 60 of 458 Posts