Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

441 - 458 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks. I thought of trying to combining and phasing two antennas (I do have a second one I could use, just need a splitter / combiner).

You mentioned possible issues if I have a PVR. I do use a HDHomerun Connect. Would that be a problem?

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
The problem I had in mind with the DVR is that the wrong antenna might be connected when the record timer comes on, if the antennas are not combined.

My favorite way to handle two antennas aimed in different directions, is to have the main antenna connected to the TV antenna input, and have the second antenna connected to a separate tuner, with its output connected to the TV aux input. This avoids having to rescan when using an A/B switch if your TV tuner can't add a channel after scan.

The phasing problem when using a combiner would affect the tuner in the DVR and the HDHR. If you are using a LAN after the HDHR for TV viewing, you could perhaps have two HDHR CONNECT DUALs, one for each antenna.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think I understand.

What if I combine the antennas and also put metal sheets in place to defect signals? So the one antenna would get the southwest stations only, and the other would get the northwest stations only. No station would be picked up on both.

Would that improve my chances?

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Interesting idea; it would improve your chances, but there will still be reflections from the other signals in front of the desired direction antenna. I think it is worth a try.

When we were living at another location, our antenna was aimed south, but my tuner was not able to decode a signal from the northwest even though it was strong enough.

I was having trouble receiving CH 42 because my antenna was facing the wrong direction. The signal was strong enough, but the signal quality was poor; the tuner was not able to pick it up during a scan.

As you can see, the top of the signal is not very flat, which probably indicates a multipath reflection problem. That's not surprising, because the antenna is aimed in the opposite direction and only reflections off the objects in front of the antenna are picked up; there is no direct signal from the transmitter.

I went across the street and setup a 2-bay UHF antenna, my meter, and a preamp. I was able to get a nice scan and a stronger signal with the antenna aimed at the transmitter for CH42.

Interestingly, when I moved the antenna a few feet left or right, without changing the height or azimuth, there was a big difference in the signal strength and scan quality. This is most likely because of the tree line in front of the antenna about 200 ft away which created the non-uniform field.

My 8-inch Audiovox TV in the car was able to pick up CH42 WCVE; the 22-inch Sony was too big to bring along.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Good info. It is possible, of course, that some signals from the north may bounce off objects south of me and hence still be picked up by the south biased antenna, but I will try it and see.

Thanks for the feedback. I may give my idea a try next weekend and post my results.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Reporting results from Pitt Meadows.
I picked up an RCA ANT702F (CANT702Z) Amplified Indoor/outdoor HDTV antenna at Canadian Tire this week. I figured it was going to take me testing many antenna's so I'd start with one that's easy to return locally. Set it up first in the bedroom indoors on the 2nd floor and picked up 5 local channels with it sitting on my dresser. Lifting it another couple feet towards the ceiling got me 1 more channel (Global -- all 6 from Mt. Seymour). I have a ridge (Hammond Hill) between my house and Mt Seymour. Took it up into the attic, and it took an hour or more to find the right placement (highest part of the attic wasn't the best... a few feet to the left or right made a huge difference). The challenge at my house seemed to be finding a spot that worked for both Global & CITY (the others seemed ok no matter where I was in the attic). This process went much faster once I trained a helper to stay downstairs at the TV and scan channels and report signal strength to me in the attic over Facetime. I'm getting excellent reception from 15 channels from Mt. Seymour & Bellingham (basically the same list as Sc0rPs above -- but no CHEK & no PBS). I don't watch either of those channels, so I'm happy with that and am not planning to bother mounting it outside nor try a 2nd nor more expensive antenna.

Right now I'm testing it attached to a single HDTV. I added a 20 yr old splitter as a test and the included in-line amplifier is strong enough that there is no signal/quality loss (at least before adding a 2nd device or TV). Setting the amplifier to low or high doesn't make a difference to the number nor quality of channels I receive. I'm planning to get an HDHomeRun Extend and a PlexPass and start testing with Plex LiveTV & DVR, including remotely from out of town (to existing Plex Server on my Mac Mini). If that's successful I plan to add a 2nd Extend (for 2 more tuners) and cancel my cable service.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well done Shazbot. You are doing this at a god time of year as well, as trees have foliage. Sometimes people set up in Winter, then lose their signal when teh spring growth fills in the trees.

Sounds like you have a great set up there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Keith. I was a bit worried about how rain and bad weather might affect signal strength... hadn't even thought about foilage. Working in the attic during the heat wave was an experience...

·
Registered
282 Posts
For an antenna as small as yours, rain fade is more of a possibility that a larger antenna with more area to catch the signals.

Are PBS and CHEK longer terms goals for you? I know my wife likes her Jeopardy. :)

Or are those two station of little interest?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll cross my fingers then and wait for the next big rainstorm to test.

No interest in PBS or CHEK. To be honest in terms of OTA I'm really only interested in CTV/CTV2/Global/CITY to PVR the shows I watch today. CBC Apple TV app's are great and if every network had the same I'd have no need for an antenna. I watch some Discovery Network shows most of which are on Crave (albeit I'll need to watch them months later instead of as they air). We watch more Netflix than anything.

How about yourself? Any update on your attempt to setup your antenna(s) to get CITY/CHEK/PBS?

·
Registered
282 Posts
On hold for now, but I think when I go rooftop, I should be able to get them all. Just a matter of putting in the time to get it done. Likely in July.

KR

·
Registered
10 Posts
My system was working perfect until about two weeks ago now. Actually everything is working great except CKVU/City which is now unreliable with most recordings and live viewing attempts via HDHomerun failing. When I check with the antenna directly attached to the TV it shows a weak signal. I'm thinking its just the cold & wet weather.

A couple months back I called Shaw all excited to cut the cord... testing had gone great all summer with my OTA Antennae/HDHomerun Extend/Plex PVR setup, including accessing remotely over the internet at our summer place in Hope; I was ready! But then Shaw Retentions Dept. went and made me an offer I couldn't refuse... ~$12/month for Small TV (basic channels plus any 5 packages) for 2 year contract... at that price it's worth it to me just for all the Go app logins on the Apple TV, so I still have Shaw (Arris Gateway). I record just about everything to both my Plex PVR and my Shaw PVR but I prefer watching via Apple TV what I've recorded OTA to my Plex PVR because Plex strips out the commercials for me, and I just prefer the AppleTV interface/apps/etc.

Perhaps in the spring I'll try mounting my antennae outside (currently mounted in the attic) and see if that improves my CKVU reception for next winter, and who knows, maybe I'll get CHEK and PBS as a bonus.

Would love to hear any updates from others. Do you any of you loose any channels in the colder/wetter months?

·
Registered
282 Posts
My system was working perfect until about two weeks ago now. Actually everything is working great except CKVU/City which is now unreliable with most recordings and live viewing attempts via HDHomerun failing. When I check with the antenna directly attached to the TV it shows a weak signal. I'm thinking its just the cold & wet weather.

[...snip...]

Perhaps in the spring I'll try mounting my antennae outside (currently mounted in the attic) and see if that improves my CKVU reception for next winter, and who knows, maybe I'll get CHEK and PBS as a bonus.

Would love to hear any updates from others. Do you any of you loose any channels in the colder/wetter months?

Yeah, there is a reason CKVU/City is your worst. Check these specs:

CKVU-DT 33 (10.1)
CTN
Max ERP: 8.300 kW
Eff. pwr: 7.070 kW

CBUT-DT 43 (2.1)
CBC
Max ERP: 103.340 kW
Eff. pwr: 72.359 kW

CHAN-DT 22 (8.1)
GTN
Max ERP: 40.000 kW
Eff. pwr: 38.685 kW

CIVT-DT 32 (32.1)
CTV
Max ERP: 33.000 kW
Eff. pwr: 32.437 kW

CHNM-DT 20 (42.1)
OMNI
Max ERP: 8.300 kW
Eff. pwr: 7.070 kW

CityTV's output is much weaker than the other three networks which broadcast from essentially the same place. OMNI is also pretty low power. Do you get it OK?

It may help to try a different antenna. Are you still using the RCA ant702z? I use a Clearstream C1C (installed in my attic) which I picked up from BestBuy and get 21 channels including City, CHEK, and PBS. I also use the HDHomerun (Connect original) but with an Emby server.

KR

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow, thanks Keith. I had no idea the broadcast power varies so drastically between the stations. For whatever reason I seem to be getting OMNI just fine, even though it looks like it's the same strength as City.

Great to hear that a relatively inexpensive antenna is working so well for you, and still in the attic at that. Yes, I'm still using the RCA ant702z. Sounds like I may want to upgrade and venture back into the attic. Also you're much further from Mt Seymour than I am, so that gives me high confidence it will work for me too. Did you have to fiddle much with the direction/location of the antenna in the attic to get the 21 channels? I assume that's just one antennae that's picking up from both Mt Seymour and Bellingham right?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yes, that is correct, just the one antenna to get them all. It took some time to find the sweet spot in my attic, but I did eventually determine that point that would bring in CityTV, CHEK and PBS. It is a bit tenuous though, and I may eventually combine two antennas. I actually tested that. When you combine them, you lose a few DB's but facing each antenna farm more directly may compensate for that.

I have been quite impressed with the Clearstream series of antennas. Have set up four friends with the C1C model with great results all around.

Keith R

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Keith. I was able to pick up a C1C for cheap off Craigslist over the weekend and install it in my attic. I'm now getting City/CKVU clear so I'm back in business. No additional stations though... CHEK is detected but not strong enough to watch, and no PBS. I'm using the booster that came with my RCA with the C1C and it seems to help a bit. I appreciate the help and advise!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Glad to hear that the C1C helped improve things. I have been quite impressed with how well it works in our area and have recommended it to a number of people.

Keith R

·
Registered
88 Posts
Out of curiosity how has the signal for CBC English (CBUT-DT) moving to Ch 35 impacted you? Has the signal strength gone up, down or stayed the same?

441 - 458 of 458 Posts