Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

421 - 440 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
You need either a rotor or 2 antennas. Your signals are close to 90 degrees apart. For signal strength, use an antenna(s) from Stampeder's list, and get on the roof if you can.

·
Registered
283 Posts
What I would like to receive is some Vancouver channels, such as BCTV, CTV, and CBC (for the news).
I would love to have USA channels as I am only 72 blocks north of the border, as it will break my heart not to be able to watch the Seahawks.

I am leaning towards a channelmaster antenna, but any advice is deeply appreciated, on what might be a good model to go with
There is a ridge between you and Mount Seymour, so going rooftop with your antenna pointing directly that way is your best bet. You may want to try a signal amplifier if you still don't get a lock. It may depend how big a signal "Shadow" you are in.

Regarding Seattle, there is a higher ridge on D street in Blaine that makes it a non-starter for me in Brookswood, but you might have a bit of luck with the right equipment.

Keith R

·
Registered
2 Posts
South Langley - Brookswood - 202 and 36

Hi madeitbc, what did you end up going with and how did it work out?

And here is my first post, asking for help getting started after I've spent some time reading the other posts.

Here is my TVFool, I'm just getting started. Have an indoor antenna borrowed for someone, it doesn't have a model or anything on it, but we are able to get ctv and cbc. global was working, until the big storm, now it doesn't come in.

TV Fool

I want to find an outdoor antenna that I can attach to the chimney on my 2 level house. Top priority is the local stations for hockey on the weekends and the news. I already know I can get those, but what are peoples experiences in this area to start picking up the american channels from my tvfool? Can I get started on this with one antenna?

Thanks, Brad

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi Brad, and welcome to the forum!

I live pretty close to you (TV fool looks almost identical to mine) so I am guessing my experience will be informative.

In Brookswood, attaching an external antenna to your chimney should bring in everything from Mount Seymour, including your weekend hockey. In addition, with the right set up, you could likely pull in CHEK-TV (although I have had trouble with that one for some reason), as well as MeTV (formerly KVOS in Bellingham), and perhaps the weaker signaled PBS that also come from Bellingham. I also can't get JOY-TV from Abbotsford, but there is a known obstacle near me, but you may be better positioned.

Reagarding Seattle stations, there is a high ridge in Blaine at approximately D street that makes it highly challenging to pull in anything from that far south. Perhaps you are a little better off being a bit east of me, but it would still take quite the effort and some pretty fancy equipment to have a shot and getting a lock. That being said, a good amount of programming on American networks is rebroadcast on our Canadian networks.

Are you looking to buy an antenna, or build you own?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I did notice in one of your other posts that you were in Brookswood, so I was trying to read through all of your old posts. Totally disappointing about the D street hill! I'm not against building my own, but I think I'm going to start with some experimenting with some retail bought antennas. I've ordered some, and have a shopping list based on my research here. So I will report back with what I'm able to achieve in the next month or so. If I can buy something for less than $100 and get everything local, I'll probably stop there.

·
Registered
220 Posts
bradtf

You should really talk to Greg Gilmore at Satellite Central Communications.
He gave me great advice (Satellite and OTA) and is a dealer for Channel Master, and hooked-me up with an installer, though I don't think he does installations anymore. Check out his website, or email him.

You can get most of what you need online, but it's nice to have a local contact.

laurie in ladner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For Langley at 72 avenue, and 209A Street, what I did was made one, and that did not work. I brought one from Princess Auto, and again that did not work. I then brought a DB4E and that is working satisfactory. For the USA channels I am getting (12.1, 12.2), (24.1 24.2), (28.1.2.3), these are not the channels I want to get but so be it. For Canadian 2.1 CBC, 8.1 Global, 17.1 CTV, 32.1 CTV. These Canadian channels are extremely sensitive. I may have CTV coming in, and if I want CBC I have to go on my roof and move it a couple of inches. I am satisfactory with the DB4E but I think I should get an amplifier. If anyone has advice on that, please advise me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

Thought I would share my results, I'm in Langley over by the 200Th St & 72nd area. I have been messing with OTA for a number of years but didn't really put effort into it until recently. My set is a Clearstream 4 which I recently installed into the attic facing a NW direction, little more northern.

I ran a cable down to the top floor directly to my Tablo, and that spot is also where the cable box is so can splice and tie into cable that goes to the various cable outlets throughout the home, have the internet also coming in from an outside line so have my set up all there. Plugged the Tablo into my Airport Extreme via ethernet cable. I do have amplifiers from 'test antennas' I purchased previously but currently not needed.

From the Tablo I can access it from any PC / device that can download the ap directly, and using Roku for TVs. I will be using the cable outlets sooner or later so may have to look into a decent splitter and pre-amp/amps depending on the results.

So far all is working great, and the Tablo does have Tivo type features (recording, pause live TV, etc). The Roku features additional options and channels, Aps, etc so a great addition! The Roku/Tablo also has an ap & web page so you can use it on any device and there are ways to view away from home.

Anyways, the above is still being tweaked with, but with just the antenna I am pulling in 15 channels, all are solid:

2-1 CBUT-DT 720p
6-1 CHEK-HD 1080i
8-1 CHAN-HD 1080i
10-1 CKVU-DT 1080i
12-1 MeTV 480i
12-2 MOVIES 480i
17-1 CIVI-2 1080i
24-1 KBCB 1080i
24-2 KBCB-SD 480i
26-1 CBUFT 720p
28-1 KBTC 1080i
28-2 MHz 480i
28-3 TVW 480i
32-1 CIVT 1080i
42-1 CHNM-DT 1080i

·
Registered
17 Posts
CHAN-DT reception issue Chilliwack

Hello, all....I'm wondering if anyone else in the Chilliwack area has been experiencing any problems with CHAN-DT (Global TV Chilliwack) lately? Quite often, I find that the signal seems to cut off entirely and in most cases, half-way through a program which I am watching.....very annoying, to say the least! When it happened again tonight, right in the middle of a season premiere, I was not very happy. All the other stations which I normally receive were coming in just fine. So, I immediately checked another receiver which is connected to the same antenna and was not able to find CHAN-DT there, either. And that particular receiver's signal strength indicator showed very a strong signal coming in but...no picture and no sound. Thinking that there might have been a problem with my equipment, either my antenna or two receivers, I connected up yet another TV...a hand-held portable unit with a digital tuner and separate antenna, in a different location within the house. The end result was the same....no signal. About an hour later, all three receivers were back to normal and CHAN-DT was back.

When this happened before, just a few days ago, I contacted Global TV and one of their techs responded the next day. He said that he had not heard any complaints from other viewers in this area. He also mentioned that he had checked 'the transmitter logs' and even though nothing seemed to be amiss, he was planning to visit the site to have a look, anyhow. But, I haven't heard anything since so I can only assume that he found nothing wrong up there. In the meantime, I'm very confused.....if there is no problem with the transmitter, then why would this be happening? For all practical purposes, their transmitter is line of site to my antenna and approximately, just 7 kilometres away. Anyone have any ideas??

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi all,

[...snip...]

I am pulling in 15 channels, all are solid:

2-1 CBUT-DT 720p
6-1 CHEK-HD 1080i
8-1 CHAN-HD 1080i
10-1 CKVU-DT 1080i
12-1 MeTV 480i
12-2 MOVIES 480i
17-1 CIVI-2 1080i
24-1 KBCB 1080i
24-2 KBCB-SD 480i
26-1 CBUFT 720p
28-1 KBTC 1080i
28-2 MHz 480i
28-3 TVW 480i
32-1 CIVT 1080i
42-1 CHNM-DT 1080i
Hi Sc0rPs,

I checked the TV Fool for 200 and 72, and it appears that CHEK-HD would be challenging to pull in.

CHEK-DT 49 (6.1) 33.7 1Edge -15.8

You say you get it solidly? Interesting.

I know you area is a bit of a hilly area. Can you post your actual TV Fool?

Keith

·
Registered
220 Posts
No sound on CHNU

I'm getting picture on CHNU (Channel 47 remaps to 66.1) but I've noticed for the last week or so, no sound. Did they change something? Does anybody have any idea? I actually don't often watch that channel as it means rotating the antenna, but occasionally, there is something I wouldn't mind watching.

laurie in Ladner BC with a DB8e on the roof with a rotator

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello: I noticed the same thing here in Chilliwack. There was a picture but, no sound. In the meantime, however, everything has gone back to normal...the sound is back on. I believe they were experiencing a problem with the transmittter which they have managed to sort out for now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Sc0rPs,

I checked the TV Fool for 200 and 72, and it appears that CHEK-HD would be challenging to pull in.

CHEK-DT 49 (6.1) 33.7 1Edge -15.8

You say you get it solidly? Interesting.

I know you area is a bit of a hilly area. Can you post your actual TV Fool?

Keith
Never had any issues with any of the Canadian signals, the few US ones do lose some signal strength now and again. Didn't do any changes to my antenna set-up. I did upgrade my router to a D-Link AC3200. Using Tablo for it is sweet, if you haven't you really should! You're right, my area does have a couple of hills and I'm on the top part of one of them, which must be giving an improved LOS.

Also did another scan recently and picked up another channel, some Japan World channel which went to 28-2, so they got sorted somewhat adding a 28-4:

2-1 CBUT-DT 720p
6-1 CHEK-HD 1080i
8-1 CHAN-HD 1080i
10-1 CKVU-DT 1080i
12-1 MeTV 480i
12-2 MOVIES! 480i
17-1 CIVI-2 1080i
24-1 KBCB 1080i
24-2 JTV 480i
26-1 CBUFT 720p
28-1 KBTC 1080i
28-2 NHK_WLD 720p
28-3 MHZ 480i
28-4 TVW 480i
32-1 CIVT 1080i
42-1 CHNM-DT 1080i

As you requested:

TV Fool

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Abbotsford, Britsh Columbia and I am wondering what kind of equipment I need to buy in order to recieve HD broadcasts. From what Ive gathered from other threads, I definitely need a UHF antenna and an HDTV reciever.

But what about the type of antenna, and what about amplifiers?

People have mentioned that the Channel Master 4228 is a good choice but I dont know whether or not it is overkill for my use. I basically want to recieve some decent HD stations like CTV in good PQ. American stations are ideal but I would settle for some local programming. I like the idea of getting a better quality signal than you would get with BELL.

I am in a fairly populated area and would possibly be able to mount an antenna to the roof of my house, but I need to know what my options are while keeping the cost to a minimum.

Is it even worth the effort or should I just settle for satellite?

edit: I also live next to some pretty serious looking power lines, would that casue interference?

Thanks.
Hi I have built version of the 4228 using PCV pipe and #10 copper wire.
I've built it as to spec online and it is fairly precise.
I can get 14 channels (4 from Bellingham) from my office on the second story of my house in Langley.
This is without a reflector but in front of a large window.
I am wondering it the glass is acting as a reflector?
When I try and add the suggested 2X4 wire fence material I get less channels (No Bellingham channels) VHF?
Can anyone give me any suggestions?
Thanks
Don N

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

Thought I would share my results, I'm in Langley over by the 200Th St & 72nd area. I have been messing with OTA for a number of years but didn't really put effort into it until recently. My set is a Clearstream 4 which I recently installed into the attic facing a NW direction, little more northern.

I ran a cable down to the top floor directly to my Tablo, and that spot is also where the cable box is so can splice and tie into cable that goes to the various cable outlets throughout the home, have the internet also coming in from an outside line so have my set up all there. Plugged the Tablo into my Airport Extreme via ethernet cable. I do have amplifiers from 'test antennas' I purchased previously but currently not needed.

From the Tablo I can access it from any PC / device that can download the ap directly, and using Roku for TVs. I will be using the cable outlets sooner or later so may have to look into a decent splitter and pre-amp/amps depending on the results.

So far all is working great, and the Tablo does have Tivo type features (recording, pause live TV, etc). The Roku features additional options and channels, Aps, etc so a great addition! The Roku/Tablo also has an ap & web page so you can use it on any device and there are ways to view away from home.

Anyways, the above is still being tweaked with, but with just the antenna I am pulling in 15 channels, all are solid:

2-1 CBUT-DT 720p
6-1 CHEK-HD 1080i
8-1 CHAN-HD 1080i
10-1 CKVU-DT 1080i
12-1 MeTV 480i
12-2 MOVIES 480i
17-1 CIVI-2 1080i
24-1 KBCB 1080i
24-2 KBCB-SD 480i
26-1 CBUFT 720p
28-1 KBTC 1080i
28-2 MHz 480i
28-3 TVW 480i
32-1 CIVT 1080i
42-1 CHNM-DT 1080i
Hi I am in Murrayville, Langley
I have built version of the Channel Master 4228 using PCV pipe and #10 copper wire.
I've built it as to specs online and it is fairly precise.
I can get 14 channels (4 from Bellingham) from my office on the second story of my house in Langley.
The same lineup as you listed minus Chek in Victoria
This is without a reflector but in front of a large window.
I am wondering it the glass is acting as a reflector?
When I try and add the suggested 2X4 wire fence material I get less channels (No Bellingham channels) VHF?
Can anyone give me any suggestions?
Thanks
Don N

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi Don,

The direction of the broadcast towers are fairly opposite from Murrayville. In addition, there may be a couple ridges that inhibit your ability to pick up Bellingham.

If you are pointing your antenna towards Mount Seymour and have a back mesh reflector (the 2x4 wire fence mesh you mentioned) it could be enough to kill you chances of getting Bellingham.

See the image below.

Keith R

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Don,

The direction of the broadcast towers are fairly opposite from Murrayville. In addition, there may be a couple ridges that inhibit your ability to pick up Bellingham.

If you are pointing your antenna towards Mount Seymour and have a back mesh reflector (the 2x4 wire fence mesh you mentioned) it could be enough to kill you chances of getting Bellingham.

See the image below.

Keith R

I'm looking for someone to install the ota antenna. Tony 778-987-3631

·
Registered
283 Posts
Checking in again form the Brookswood part of Langley

I am agonizingly close to my goal but just need a bit more to fully achieve what I want for OTA television. There is signal in my attic but I am just having trouble getting it to provide a consistent experience.

My TVFool profile is posted below.

I have a Cleastream v1 antenna and am trying it in my attic point south west toward channel 6.1 (real channel 49). The mesh reflector is attached. When I run a channel scan, I am getting all the channels, but one - 10.1 (real channel 33) is pixelating.

I tried removing the mesh reflector, but that didn't help. Same channel still pixelating. Additionally channel 28.1 (real channel 24) and its sub-channels also started pixelating.

FYI, if I point my antenna northwest, 10.1 comes in great, but I lose 6.1 and 28.1 and its subschannels.

Going rooftop or getting a better antenna is not a preferred option, although I will go there if I have no choice.

Is this a situation where an amplifier or pre-amp would help? Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Is this a situation where an amplifier or pre-amp would help?
I doubt it, but you can try a preamp. An antenna works best when it is aimed at the transmitter.

You will need two antennas for two very different directions; one antenna will not get both directions unless you put it on a rotator.

The widest beamwidth antenna that I know of is the C2V, which has a beamwidth of 70 degrees for UHF, which might not be enough for aiming between the two directions to split the difference.

It is possible to combine two UHF antennas aimed in different directions using a splitter in reverse, but it usually doesn't work; you just have to try it. This also applies to the 8-bay antenna that can be aimed in two directions.

The same signals from each antenna will interfere with each other when they reach the combining point if they are not in phase (arrive at the same instant).

If you don't have all the channels when combined that you had when the antennas were separate, then this method of combining doesn't work for your location.

There are other methods of combining, but they are not simple, especially if you have more than one TV or a DVR.

421 - 440 of 458 Posts