Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

401 - 420 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
@taylor - I know there was a member here that lived in Cloverdale I believe that did installations. I think his handle was was 4DTV or something like that. Apparently very good.
@taylor & zapperman

He's actually in Aldergrove. He will also do a spectrum sweep for you for a fee if you want to see what's easily available. His handle is 4DTV HD and he's oddly on the first page of this thread. I paid him to check the signals in my area before attempting to put up an antenna, it was worthwhile to me. I also got all my OTA equipment from him.

@taylor - PM me if you want more information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maple Ridge, BC: DVR?

Hi folks,
I am going to be ordering a complete hd antenna system for our new house which is located high on a hill in Maple Ridge B.C .I was thinking on a 4228hd with the cm7777 pre amp and a rotator of some sort.My question is can I use my existing cable dvr which is a Motorola hd dual tuner Dcx3510-m to record programs? Thanx in advance for any help you can provide.

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
It will not work.
You have 2 issues.
1. The DVR only will work when connected to your cable company
2. The digital tuner does not record OTA.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Any use of an analog television set these days?

I was toying with the idea of getting a small portable tv set to use with a bug out kit in case of an emergency. I have a battery powered radio and other supplies, but would there be any use of an old school portable tv? Can I get a digital antenna that would work with an analogue tv set? Or am I asking too much? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Re: your bug out kit - a problem you may have is the relatively short battery life of the new small typically 7" digital portable TV's.

Analog TV's still work fine with an input - be it from a cable, satellite, or digital OTA converter box. But, very few digital converter boxes are battery powered, so most would be of no help with a bug out kit.

Of course, outside of the Vancouver / Victoria area you might still find some analog transmissions for the time being, just not from CBC anymore.
e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHAN-DT#Analog

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
satanshollow, the OTA FAQ deals with that issue directly, so have a read through it and also download the Antenna Chart :) I've moved your post into this thread for Langley so that you can get the absolute low-down on OTA in your area by reading through it.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I was toying with the idea of getting a small portable tv set to use with a bug out kit in case of an emergency. I have a battery powered radio and other supplies, but would there be any use of an old school portable tv? Can I get a digital antenna that would work with an analogue tv set? Or am I asking too much? Thanks for any advice.
Bug Out Kit would need updated with todays technology.
there are small portable battery powered ATSC TV's. And small portable antennas.
That would be appropriate for power outages. Or a AM/FM radio.
or if you're thinking Apocalypse, they say Ham Radio and Cockroaches might survive.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Want to borrow small indoor antenna

Hi all,

Does anyone have a small indoor antenna in the Langley area? I want try one to see how they would work in my home before purchasing. Any type is fine - Mohu Leaf / Curve, Terk HDTVA, etc).

Keith

·
Registered
376 Posts
What do you know... Been a long time since I've been on here but I was fooling around with my antenna yesterday (Chilliwack). This is probably old news, but CHAN (Global) now has their digital transmitter active in Chilliwack- channel 31. Comes in very strong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
What do you know... Been a long time since I've been on here but I was fooling around with my antenna yesterday (Chilliwack). This is probably old news, but CHAN (Global) now has their digital transmitter active in Chilliwack- channel 31. Comes in very strong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Global seems to have done an aggressive build out across the country. I see they have digital transmitters in a lot markets similar size to yours (Vernon, Kelowna, Penticton, etc). Now if only other networks would do the same....

Keith

P.S. Perhaps we should send them some type of recognition?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Odd results in Brookswood

Hi all,

I borrowed a Winegard Freevision antenna (thanks, J) to see how well it would work indoors. Results were spotty at best, so I dropped that idea for now.

I decided to see how it would work in place of my home made M4 (which I made, admittedly, using the quick and dirty method).

After swapping out antennas, My signal strength for CBC, CTV and Global shot up to 80%, but interesting, would drop to zero occasionally (perhaps some random waving tree branch is in the way). OMNI and CKVU came in around 40% and also had the same drop issue. The drops do not occur on M4, I am guess due to the larger field covered by the antenna elements.

I went roof top with it, and CBC, CTV and Global went to 100%, and no longer dropped. OMNI and CKVU saw little change in signal strength but no longer dropped.

I have never gotten CHEK so I decide to give a try roof top. I pointed the antenna toward CHEK (Saturna Island?), and I did manage to get my TV to map it, but very pixelized and not watchable. Interestingly, with the antenna in this position, CKVU and OMNI shot up to 80+ percent signal strength. Don't know if I am getting a fortuitous bounce or what. Meanwhile CBC, CTV and Global dropped to 40 to 60% but still solid.

Not sure when I will get to "play" again, but I just thought I would share these results for anyone who cares to know. :) I may try a preamp in the future to see if that locks in CHEK.

Comments and feedback always welcome.

Keith R

My TV Fool: https://www.tvfool.com/modeling/tmp/f1f0/e06/0e5d4a7/Radar-All.png

KVOS-DT 35 (12.1) Ind 27.9 LOS 54.3
KBCB-DT 19 (24.1) Ind 28.0 LOS 49.4
CBUT-DT -- 43 (2.1) CBC 23.6 LOS 48.8
CHAN-DT 22 (8.1) GTN 23.7 LOS 48.0
CIVT-DT 32 (32.1) CTV 23.8 LOS 46.3
CIVI-DT-2 17 (17.1) 23.7 LOS 45.6
CBUFT-DT -- 26 (26.1) SRC 23.6 LOS 44.9
CHNM-DT 20 (42.1) OMN 23.7 LOS 40.8
CKVU-DT 33 (10.1) CTN 23.7 LOS 39.5
K24IC-D 24 (28.1) PBS 28.0 LOS 38.5
CHNU-DT 47 (66.1) Ind 20.6 LOS 34.2
CHEK-DT 49 (6.1) 30.5 2Edge 16.7
CHAN-DT-6 23 (23.1) 61.4 1Edge -1.4
KCPQ-DT 13 (13.1) Fox 105.2 2Edge -19.8

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a Terk, works great.

Some distant stations drop out at times, right now the following work:

2-1, 8-1, 10-1, 12-1, 12-2, 12-3 is off the air, 17-1, 26-1, 32-1, 42-1

too weak right now: 24-*, sometimes KCBC PBS/MHz/Worldview comes in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Advice for Langley, 72 Avene, and 209A Street

Need some advice on getting OTA channels in Langley, British Columbia at 72 avenue, and 209A Street. My TV fool is here TV Fool
I have done 2 things. Is I used a Supersonic SC607 indoor antenna using this I received 4 channels.

I then installed a Terrestrial Digital V10 Medium Gain UHF/VHF Antenna (25 feet off ground level) And I received 6 channels KVOS 12.1, 12.2, Independent 24.1, 24.2, PBS 28.1, 28.2

What I would like to receive is some Vancouver channels, such as BCTV, CTV, and CBC (for the news).
I would love to have USA channels as I am only 72 blocks north of the border, as it will break my heart not to be able to watch the Seahawks.

I am leaning towards a channelmaster antenna, but any advice is deeply appreciated, on what might be a good model to go with

401 - 420 of 458 Posts