Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

381 - 400 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I hate to say it, but extra elevation isn't going to help spacedogg as all stations from both Vancouver, Victoria and Seattle are badly obstructed. The only stations he will receive with any sort of regularity are CHNU (JoyTV), KVOS (ME-TV), KBCB (Shopping and Estrella TV), K24IC (PBS) and CHAN-TV-1 (Global in analog). The last will probably go digital sometime before the end of 2016. All of these stations should be reasonably easy to receive with VHF-HI/UHF antenna if he has a view to the south-east.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recommendations for OTA equipment (Langley, BC)

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie to OTA and looking to make the switch from Bell TV (3x9241 HD PVRs). Given the amount of info online about OTA, I'm a bit overwhelmed to say the least in deciding what equipment I would need to maximize viewing options.

Currently have in-house cabling connected to 3 TVs via 9241 HD PVRs. There are no buildings/trees obstructing sight-of-line in the area. I'd like to be able to access OTA on all 3 TVs in my home with additional devices specified as follows:

TV#1: WD TV Live + Hauppauge WINTV-HVR-950Q
TV#2: WD TV Live hub
TV#2: Roku + Slingbox Pro HD

For antenna mounting, I can do either roof or attic and my TV Fool TV Signal Analysis Results images are attached here.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d1dda539e6acb3e

My questions are:
1. Would I need multiple antennas in order to pick up the three groupings of channels or would something like a single Antennas Direct DB8 suffice? (i.e. 274-315 degrees, 195-222 degrees, 109-195 degrees)
2. The ABC, NBC, CBS channels are 107miles away. Any recommended equipment to get those or are they really too far away?
3. What equipment 'shopping list' would be recommended to purchase?

Any help would be much appreciated!

D.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
1. Would I need multiple antennas in order to pick up the three groupings of channels or would something like a single Antennas Direct DB8 suffice? (i.e. 274-315 degrees, 195-222 degrees, 109-195 degrees)
You might get lucky with a single antenna, but some choices may be necessary as to which stations you want reliably. You can pretty much ignore all of the analog (purple) broadcasts as (with the exception of CFEG) they are all repeaters of stations you can receive digitally.

Everything from Mount Seymour is very strong, and will likely come in pretty much regardless of what direction you point your antenna (though maybe not if it is close to 90deg off angle).

Question for you: Do you want to receive CHNU reliably, as that will affect my reccomendation?

I assume you do want the Bellingham locals (KVOS, KBCB and K24IC).

2. The ABC, NBC, CBS channels are 107miles away. Any recommended equipment to get those or are they really too far away?
Not so much that they are too far away, but there is too much of a hill between them. I wouldn't hold my breath on being able to receive the reliably. If you click on any one of them in your report, it will show a profile of the terrain between you and them.

3. What equipment 'shopping list' would be recommended to purchase?
If you could answer my question I will help you with this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello all,

We recently installed an Antennas Direct CS2 on the roof at approximately 30 feet. When it was installed (pointed on the appropriate heading fro KVOS/PBS/KBCB) it picked up all three US stations just great.

We have confirmed it is still on heading but we can no longer get KBCB. It disappeared after the first few days. Is KBCB still broadcasting and we have an issue or has it been down for a few days? I am looking at Digital channel 19 using a PC tuner that uses real, not PSIP channels.

Thanks,

-Jeff

·
Registered
340 Posts
The have been down for over a week... will send them a message.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just throwing it out there that if anyone is looking for some help/ advice in the chilliwack area, I am back in the game and can provide some Insight. If you are downtown you are likely out of luck, but if you are in south Sardis/ vedder crossing, there is some hope. For HD I pull in CBC, ctv2, global, omni and CHNU. No luck with CTV or CKVU. yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just throwing it out there that if anyone is looking for some help/ advice in the chilliwack area, I am back in the game and can provide some Insight. If you are downtown you are likely out of luck, but if you are in south Sardis/ vedder crossing, there is some hope. For HD I pull in CBC, ctv2, global, omni and CHNU. No luck with CTV or CKVU. yet.
Hi Zapperman,

I'm still toying with trying OTA, but was suckered into a promo with Shaw. I finally have a HTPC, so we're doing more streaming at the moment. If/when we drop shaw tv again, I may look at OTA (I bought copper for a SGH some time ago)--we're by the airport, and we'd be restricted to an attic install (strata) so it'd be more of an experiment than anything. Can't say I'm too motivated when I'm pretty sure we won't be getting much...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well, with your location it is challenging and if you are limited to an attic install, it probably isn't worth it. At best, you would get KVOS and KBCB, and the local analogs global and CBC. You would not get the digitals from Mt. Seymour. I doubt you would get these with an outdoor install and preamp either. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, with your location it is challenging and if you are limited to an attic install, it probably isn't worth it. At best, you would get KVOS and KBCB, and the local analogs global and CBC. You would not get the digitals from Mt. Seymour. I doubt you would get these with an outdoor install and preamp either. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
That's what i figured. I've gotten KVOS with a homemade loop in our living room, but that's not enough for me to devote a lot of effort.

I thought the CBC analog was shut down--is it still going?

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I thought the CBC analog was shut down--is it still going?
Yes, CBC shut down all of their analog transmitters last summer. There are some affiliates still operating analog transmitters, but I believe the one in Chilliwack was owned by CBC and will have been shut down.

History question: In the 80's did the Chilliwack transmitter have what was known as CBC North? I went to high school in Abbotsford (Abby Jr. & Sr.) and one of my friends lived out towards Chilliwack and said he received CBC North better than CBC Vancouver. I am thinking that maybe back then they only had one station on satellite that all the repeaters used.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, Zapperman: What about the area of Vedder Road and Stevenson? Should reception in this area be different from that in the South Sumas area? I wonder as I currently receive a good signal from CHNU-DT on an indoor antenna...but, nothing else.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think that the Sardis area is better then Chilliwack for reception with some of the best locations being around Tyson Rd and Watson area. (You get a cleaner shot at the Vancouver transmitters)

If I remember correctly the more south you are in that area the better.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Taylor, sorry for the late response. Haven't been following too much lately. Yes, Stevenson and Vedder has a good shot at reception (I lived in that area and had some success). The best is up in promontory, for the height reasons...

I now live closer to Keith Wilson and Canterbury further south, and reception is not quite as good. (I get CHAN, CBUT, CHNM and CHNU reliably). No CIVT, CKVU or CIVI. in any event you won't have any more channels with that indoor antenna. You will need a very directional outdoor one, best combined with a preamp, not only to avoid your signal loss over your coax run, but also to lower your noise level for your receiver. I currently run a DB8 and CM7777 preamp. If you have followed a lot of this forum, you will see that I have really tried everything. A 4228HD or DB8 will likely be your best bet. I tried the 4221HD, original 4228, stacked 4228s and many GHs and DBGHs. The two commercial ones I mention were the best by far.

Good luck!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Zapperman... have you tried stacking to increase the gain? I have read about your quest over time lol, last I saw you were doing homemade balun's the Kitztech 200 helped lower the noise for me just a thought.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Zapperman! By any chance, would you happy to know of a supplier/installer nearby whom I could hire? I have phoned around but it seems as though everyone is into satellite dishes these days. And none seem interested in working with OTA (TV antennas)

·
Registered
376 Posts
@Ndnile - :). Good to hear someone was reading back then about my quests... Yes, I tried stacking - in a big way. I had a thread about "Hacked and Stacked" 4228s. I combined them in all manner - 2 baluns (all types, including homemade), twinlead, combining 4 individual 4-bays, combining as 2 8-bays, you name it! In the end, I had some success using the homemade balun and hacked 4228s, but really, I gained on some channels, lost on others. When compared to one good commercial antenna, good preamp, and good aim - I just couldn't match it for overall reception.

@taylor - I know there was a member here that lived in Cloverdale I believe that did installations. I think his handle was was 4DTV or something like that. Apparently very good. Just keep in mind you may not get the reception you want. In my expereince and down in south sardis, CBC and global seem the strongest (other than CHNU of course). I haven't mentioned the Bellingham digitals - they're pretty easy. Your indoor one should be able to get KVOS and KBCB (shopping), but likely not KBTS.

381 - 400 of 458 Posts