Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Problem is that Abbotsford is about 80km from Mt Seymour (at least from my address), which is around 50+ miles. What's your take on coverage to the area west of Port Mann? Has anyone else had any results with this area??? Thnx!
I'm in Aldergrove and have no problem receiving the Seattle and Vancouver stations. I have two stacked CM4228s and a preamp.
Your results will vary but mainly depend on location and elevation. If you are east of Whatcom Rd I would say the Seattle stations are out. There are mountains in the way.
I've tested from the top of Sumas Mountain with no luck.
Varying results in the rest of Abbotsford

·
Registered
21 Posts
4DTV HD: How are you combining the two antenna signals? With a splitter? Also is there a distance required between the two antennas so there will not be signal cancel?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm using a high frequency splitter to combine with both pieces of coax exactly the same length. I use a Spectrum Analyzer to peak the spacing of the 2 antennas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Abbotsford

I've been reading this forum for some time but I recently purchased a
Sharp LC52D92U TV so I'm now very keen to start pulling in those OTA HD channels.

Last summer there was some talk of some of the major US networks setting up
translator stations in the Bellingham area. This would be great for me so I was
wondering if there is any news on the progress of these projects?

BTW I live in Abbotsford on Eagle Mountain at about 200m ASL. On a clear day I
can see Mt. Seymour which is about 65 km almost clear LOS.

I currently have a Channel Master 4221 which is just temporarily lashed to a ladder
leaning against the house and pointed at Mt. Seymour. I receive both CTV
and CBC HD rock solid. If I point it SW toward Bellingham/Seattle I get about 5
or 6 stations including: KOMO 4.1, KIRO 7.1, KING 5.1 and KVOS. My wife would
really like to watch the CW network which is KSTW I believe but that doesn't show
up with this makeshift test setup at the moment.

Since there are all sorts of restrictions on what can go on a house in this
nieghbourhood a mast and rotor on the peak of the house is out of the question.
Instead, I'm thinking of buying a second 4221 and mounting them on the side of
the house, one pointed NW to Mt. Seymour and one pointed SW to Seattle then combining the output of the two antennas.

·
Registered
544 Posts
jjungnr: Stampeder will probably move this into the Abbotsford thread but my opinion would be a cm4228 and a rotor...I'm supprised you're not picking up CW 11.1 and Fox 13.1 , they're my most reliable channels in South Surrey.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
jjungnr: Stampeder will probably move this into the Abbotsford thread
...and done. :)

Hi jjungnr, a couple of things: news about station changes or status is in a thread in the main OTA Forum, so have a look and if you hear anything new about Bellingham repeaters please post in there:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42734

About combining 2 antennas: this is a very tricky thing to make work properly and not as easy as just connecting them together. Your antenna mast needs to be readily accessible and easy to work on so that you can make subtle changes in azimuth to each antenna while watching the results on a TV as you make them. You might want to think about using a rotor if this sounds too fiddly, but if you're game to do it then yes, with trial and effort you can get two antennas to cooperate. If you mount them wide apart (like at either end of the house) you can reduce the interaction between them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Stampeder, thanks for moving my post to where it belongs... and the link.

Re using two antennas vs. a rotor, unfortunately a rotor is not possible since I
will have to "hide" the antennas against the side of the house much like a
satellite dish. I do intend to seperate them by about 3m and the difference in
azimuth will bey will at least 90 deg so hopefully there won't be too much
interference/interaction between them.

I'll let you know how/if it works out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mission - 12 Ave

Hi everyone. I just joined today after discovering this site. I live in mission in a single story house on the south side of 12th ave with a clear view into Washington. I am new to hdtv and will need all the advice I can get. I am interested in U.S. channels so what antenna and other equipment would I need to get started. I appreciate any help you can provide as I do not have any tv signal since Direct Tv was shut down years ago. Thanks. abacusblack

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Hi abacusblack, in Mission your SeaTac reception should be good with deep or deepest fringe gear at about 20 feet or more off the ground. People in Mission have been getting the analogue VHF stations from down there for years, but the newer digital UHF stations might be a bit more difficult. Check the links in this post:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Aldergrove

Aldergrove bc 276 and fraser hwy:

cm 4228 and samsumg tuner built into tv

cbc dt 100%
ctv dt 100%
kvos dt 100%
shop nbc 100%
24-1,2,3,4 50-60%
fox 13-1 50-60%

time for a rotator and a preamp. tired of going up and down the ladder

i get fox and cw Analogue for seattle while pointing at seymour fuzzy though

cant wait for the new parts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Aldergrove with preamp

4.1 0-25%
5.1 0-25%
5.2 0-25%
7.1 0-50%
7.2 0-50%
11.1 0-25%
12.1 80% solid
13.1 60-70%
16.1 20-40%
16.2 20-40%
22.1 0-30%
22.2 0-30%
24.1 75 %

no dropouts if signal stays at 30%. Next up stacked cm4228's. Ill monitor it for the next couple days to make sure it isnt tropo first

had 80-100% for a little while on almost all stations without preamp then it went all away. hooked the preamp up and got some stability

makes me wonder

·
Registered
22 Posts
Update to Post #156 on the channel list

rotating to peak signal using stacked cm4228 winegard 4800 preamp and cm rotator samsung HDTV with atsc tuner 1-10 bars for signal strength 1 gets a little pic and sound 2 is good to watch

.......remap worst best "dl" means digital lock no pic no sound
CBC..2.1........10
KOMO.4.1.........dl.....4
KING..5.1/2......dl.....3
KIRO..7.1/2......dl.....8
KCTS.9.1/3/5...dl.....5
KSTW..11.1.......dl.....3
KVOS..12.1.......10
KCPQ..13.1.......dl.....9
KONG..16.1/2....dl.....4
KTBW..20.1/2/3/4/5...dl.....10
KMYQ..22.1/2....dl.....4
KBCB..24.1.......10
KBTC..28.1/2/3/4..0.....2
CTV..32.1.......9.....10
extremely rarely loose digital lock on seatac stations
now to peak the spacing and play with the tilt angle on the 4228's to get more lasting signal from seatac stations possibly try a different location on the roof

·
Registered
17 Posts
Abbotsford (Clearbook and Peardonville)

Hi all,

I've been lurking in the forum for awhile reading what I can and I have a few questions. First I give my equipment.

42' Sony Grand Wega IV rear projection LCD TV
Xpressvu 9200HD PVR.

Now I have to say that the HD content on the xpressvu looks pretty nice, but not great. It's compressed too much. From what I have read OTA HD looks awesome! So I think I want to dive in and get the equipment I need. So before I buy stuff I need to know if where I am located I'm going to get the local HD broadcasts from the Mt. Seymour tower and I'm hoping for the HD broadcasts from the Bellingham\Seatac area as well. I live in Abbotsford, BC. close to Clearbook Rd. and Peardonville. I have no big trees blocking my view from either south or west.

What equipment do I need to be able to pick up the local and US HD broadcasts? I've heard a lot about the Channel Master 4228 antenna. Is this what I need?

Will I need a preamp? If so what do you guys recommend?

Now I'm pretty sure I can run the RG6 from the antenna into the 9200 I have, but I wondering if I have to run the RG6 right from the antenna to the 9200 or is there a way to run the RG6 from the antenna through the sat dish and use the sats RG6 rather than run fresh new wire? Does that make sense? My HDTV is upstairs and I have a finished basement, so running new RG6 to the TV upstairs is not an option. With my bell 20" dish I'm using a Dish Pro Plus (DPP) Twin LNB, and a DPP Seperator. I run one RG6 from the dish up to a DPP seperator behind my 9200 and then 2 RG6 wires into the 9200. Now I have dual tuners.

Is there any places local (Vancouver) that I can purchase what I will need?

As for a mast, do I need to get something made for, say the CM4228? Can I go to Home Depot and get some pipe to use as a mast?

If I use one CM4228 and I want to get the MT. Seymour and the US HD broadcasts should I get a rotor? If so which one?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure this will be feaseable.

Cheers,
Chevy

·
Registered
154 Posts
Langley: 196 St and 32nd Ave

Hey guys, it's been about a week since I somehow came upon this site. Since then I have done ALOT of reading, ordered a tuner off ebay and built myself an antenna.

I am in the back of Langley, almost South Surrey. Cross streets are 196th and 32 ave, and am pretty much buried in tress. I have a 32" Acer TV, with a Samsung SIR-T451 Tuner on order. With the outside (a homemade DB4\CM4221) pointed almost directly north I can pick up in analog:

02-CBC (perfect))
06-Chek (almost there)
10-City TV (good but not perfect)
08-Global (perfect)
12-KVOS (pretty good, almost perfect)
13-KCPQ (snowy but almost there)
32-CTV (nothing) :(

Because I don't have the HD tuner yet, I can not check for the digital channels but from my brothers place exactly 2 miles north from me, he can get mostly the same analog plus a few more AND CTV-DT and CBC-DT with about 75-80% on his Samsung TV with a homemade DB2. He does have a better line of sight, although some trees in the way.

Being in a basement suite I can not mount anything up higher than about 10 feet, I have tried a ton of different places to try to get CTV but nothing comes through at all. At this point I will be more than happy with just Hockey Night in HD (was beautiful on saturday) but obviously would love to get CTV or whatever else I can get my hands on.

So I guess I was hoping for some feedback, ideas, tips. Should I be thinking about an amplifier of some kind to pull any more channels in? I could easily build a DB8, do you think it would help? I know I need to get it over those trees so for the time being I may be out of luck. What do you all think, if anything maybe its some help for someone out this way trying to do the same!!

Mark.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
chevy2410 and mdelleman, welcome here and thanks for your questions. CTV HD might not be possible from where you are due to the signal shadow that happens from the mountain in between you and Mt. Seymour. I cannot say for sure whether this is true of your locations but our expert on your area is a DHCer named 4HD_DTV and I hope he'll be reading this soon.

For both of you there is no way to get Vancouver and SeaTac or even Bellingham and Victoria stations with one single antenna aim, so a rotor is a must if you wish to be ready for those stations as they go digital. In the meantime you'd be able to get a wide array of analogue stations with a rotor, along with the already digital stations.

In both of your cases I highly recommend the CM4228 for its robust reception capabilities. mdelleman, if you wish to build yourself a better antenna (unfortunately a 2-bay like yours is not quite big enough in my experience) you should try a 4-bay. Not many people have luck with an 8-bay home brew, but it might be worth a try for the U.S. stations.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am confused on your recommendation to go up from my 2 bay to a 4 bay, right now my antenna looks like this:

><
><
><
><

Thanks again.

·
Registered
154 Posts
UPDATE: Langley, 196th st + 32nd Ave

So I received my tuner today (Samsung DTB-260F). Plugged everything in and to my surprise up came CTV!! Here is what I get with my antenna (homemade cm 4221) just sitting outside on my porch w/ a preamp and 50 feet coax.

CBC - 7-10 bars
CTV - 4-7 bars
KVOS - 4-5 bars
KBCB - 1-2 bars

I don't get analogue channels with this tuner so just the digitals show up, which is fine because I also have cable. I am totally psyched so far, there is so much potential. My situation restricts me from throwing a 4228 on the roof but even these three channels make my day. 100 bucks and I can watch hockey and football in HD, beautiful! Although ecstatic I'll still be trying to get a stronger signal, i'm able to get it a bit higher if I want so i'll mount it up and see what happens. I'm also thinking of making a 4228 and pointing it south and seeing what happens, can't lose I figure. Plus all of this has become quite fun to say the least. I'll post a picture of the antenna soon!

Mark.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vedder Crossing/Chilliwack

Hi All,

I've had quick scan through the forum, and i don't see many hits of people posting about OTA out here in Chilliwack (Near the Vedder River). I live in townhouse, so there is no chance of pole mounts, but there is a chance of a roof or patio mount. Has anybody had any results? To be honest, i'm looking for the cheapest path to HD CBC so i can watch Hockey Night in Canada. I understand most of the repeaters out this way are still analogue.
I'm a mythtv junkie, so I'd love to be add a OTA PC Card to the mix.

Pro

21 - 40 of 458 Posts