Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

821 - 831 of 831 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Out of curiosity how has the signal for CBC English (CBUT-DT) moving to Ch 35 impacted you? Has the signal strength gone up, down or stayed the same?
I've lost the PSIP data. It's the only channel I have to look on the internet to see what's on. Signal strength is a little down and i have to rotate the antenna a little to get it to come in . Normally I optimize for the Seattle stations.
Laurie in Ladner, BC with a DB8e on th roof.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've lost the PSIP data. It's the only channel I have to look on the internet to see what's on. Signal strength is a little down and i have to rotate the antenna a little to get it to come in . Normally I optimize for the Seattle stations.
Laurie in Ladner, BC with a DB8e on th roof.
Interesting that you have lost PSIP data. I get it on my HDHomerun tuner fine. Are you using a device like that? Or the PSIP info on your TV's built it tuner?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Out of curiosity how has the signal for CBC English (CBUT-DT) moving to Ch 35 impacted you? Has the signal strength gone up, down or stayed the same?
Basically the same. Not noticing any difference.

Virtual Channel2.1 CBUT-DT
Frequency599.000 MHz
Program Number3
Modulation Lock8vsb
Signal Strength76%
Signal Quality78%
Symbol Quality100%
Streaming Rate11.823 Mbps
Resource Lock192.168.1.64

·
Registered
233 Posts
Interesting that you have lost PSIP data. I get it on my HDHomerun tuner fine. Are you using a device like that? Or the PSIP info on your TV's built it tuner?
I use my CM 7000PAL DVR . It's more sensitive than the one in the TV (Panasonic plasma).

·
Registered
233 Posts
KONG TV is busy changing things at the transmitter, Now I am getting 16.2 on 22.4, 16.1 on 25,4 and a signal (not rsolved) for KONG on 80. The PSIP is showing up on the wrong channels. It not terrible, just confusing. Signals are stronger though than they have been (tropo?). I am even getting a Spanish channel and a sports channel.

Laurie in Ladner with a DB8e on the roof.
PS. I had several emails from CBC (Jason) and the missing PSIP on channel 2 seems to be confined to My CM7000 DVR.

·
Registered
130 Posts
KONG TV is busy changing things at the transmitter, Now I am getting 16.2 on 22.4, 16.1 on 25,4 and a signal (not rsolved) for KONG on 80. The PSIP is showing up on the wrong channels. It not terrible, just confusing. Signals are stronger though than they have been (tropo?). I am even getting a Spanish channel and a sports channel.

Laurie in Ladner with a DB8e on the roof.
PS. I had several emails from CBC (Jason) and the missing PSIP on channel 2 seems to be confined to My CM7000 DVR.
There seems to be some strange channel shifting currently going in the Seattle stations. It looks like there is some RF channel sharing going on. KONG 16.1 is currently being transmitted on its KING sister station (RF25) instead of its normal RF31 frequency, so KONG is coming in with same signal strength as the KING stations (5.1 etc). KUNS 51.1 is currently being transmitted on its KOMO sister station (RF30) instead of the normal KUNS (RF24), while the the KUNS sub-channels (51.2 and 51.3) are being transmitted on KIRO RF23. Pretty weird stuff. I hope this RF channel sharing continues because KONG (RF31) was always very weak and sporadic at my location, and KUNS (RF24) with the sub-channels, were completely wiped out at my location when JOY TV changed to RF24.

Edit - It looks like Seattle is now live with ATSC 3.0, it was done about 4 days ago, and all this channel sharing on ATSC 1.0 is here to stay. RF31 and RF24 from Seattle will now need an ATSC 3.0 tuner to pull in, but the added bonus is also ATSC 3.0 channel sharing

RF24 (ATSC 3.0) - KUNS, KOMO, KIRO
RF31 (ATSC 3.0) - KONG, KING, KCPQ, KZJO

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've lost the signal on my Seattle stations (actually KIRO is there with some searching with the antenna rotator but just barely). The receptions on the Canadian stations is poor. I have to aim the antenna directly at Mt. Seymour to get a stable signal on BCTV. Only Bellingham is still coming in at full strength.
So I checked the tropo forecasts. Nothing looks unusual. I checked the rotator and the antenna seems to point the way it says. 000 is due north and 180 is due south,
Now I start to worry about;
Is the tuner on my CM 7000 PVR failing? Have the connections on the RG6 wiring loosed off (I don't want to get up on the roof)? Are they doing something funny with the signals.? Is it my HDMI switch box? I switch between the satellite, Roki and the laptop (for Zoom).
I get my internet from the cable company and they throw in the basic TV, but I prefer to just stick with my antenna .

Laurie in Ladner with a DB8e roof mounted

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've lost the signal on my Seattle stations (actually KIRO is there with some searching with the antenna rotator but just barely). The receptions on the Canadian stations is poor. I have to aim the antenna directly at Mt. Seymour to get a stable signal on BCTV. Only Bellingham is still coming in at full strength.
So I checked the tropo forecasts. Nothing looks unusual. I checked the rotator and the antenna seems to point the way it says. 000 is due north and 180 is due south,
Now I start to worry about;
Is the tuner on my CM 7000 PVR failing? Have the connections on the RG6 wiring loosed off (I don't want to get up on the roof)? Are they doing something funny with the signals.? Is it my HDMI switch box? I switch between the satellite, Roki and the laptop (for Zoom).
I get my internet from the cable company and they throw in the basic TV, but I prefer to just stick with my antenna .

Laurie in Ladner with a DB8e roof mounted
All Seattle and local channels coming in fine for me right now.
Can you connect your RG6 directly into the tv tuner?...that will at least eliminate some possible problem areas.

·
Registered
233 Posts
All Seattle and local channels coming in fine for me right now.
Can you connect your RG6 directly into the tv tuner?...that will at least eliminate some possible problem areas.
I bypassed the HDMI switch. HDMI directly from the PVR (CM7000) to the TV. No change.
I bypassed the DVR , RG6 directly to the TV tuner. Now the picture on the Panasonic TV is not as good as the DVR but it still had a poor signal. Even all of the Canadian stations didn't come in.
The RG6 comes down from the antenna on the roof to a ground block, and in through the wall to the TV,
That leaves some weird atmospheric conditions or something wrong at the antenna (DB8e). I now have to have the antenna facing north for BCTV and Bellingham coming in on the back side.

Has anyone heard of a bad balun (2 build into the antenna) or the combiner going bad?

The DB8e is relatively new . The contractor crushed the old one when he built me a new house 2 years ago.
I get real wobbly up on the roof now. I guess I'm getting old. Who else remember Elvis on Ed Sullivan
The siding guys mounted my antenna for me, but I wired it myself. I was able to use their scaffolding.

Laurie in Ladner , BC with a roof mounted DB8e on a rotator.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Sure sounds like a bad or loose connection. Maybe even moisture in the coax.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Antennas Direct has offered to send me the transformers for the antenna, and the combiner. Good customer service.

In the meantime I switched the lead from the antenna to the old broken antenna , ( I repaired the broken frame and had mounted lower on the roof mostly to store it, but to hook up a TV in another room in the future.) The signal is much better with the old antenna even with the extra cable length and the neighbour's roof in the way.
So it's not a reception issue but a component failure issue, and is now probably posted is the wrong spot.

Laurie in Ladner with a DB8e mounted on the roof, and a repaired older DB8e mounted lower off the side of the house.

821 - 831 of 831 Posts